PDA

View Full Version : U.S. releases photos said to show Saddam sons' bodies

thedrifter
07-24-03, 10:37 AM
(These images are very graphic and difficult to view and are not recommended for children and some adults. Viewer discretion is advised.)

The U.S.-led provisional authority in Iraq has released gruesome photographs it says show the upper torsos and heads of Uday and Qusay Hussein, as well as x-rays used to identify the bodies. The U.S. is hoping to convince skeptical Iraqis that the men were killed in a raid by U.S. troops.

U.S. releases photos said to show Saddam sons' bodies
Many Iraqis want proof that Uday, Qusay were killed
Thursday, July 24, 2003 Posted: 11:25 AM EDT (1525 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The provisional authority in Iraq has released photographs Thursday it said were of Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay, aimed at convincing skeptical Iraqis that they were killed in a raid by U.S. troops.

The pictures, said to have been taken after the brothers died in a firefight with U.S. troops Tuesday in Mosul, show grim images of the heads and upper torsos of the sons, their faces heavily bearded.

An image identified as that of Uday is seen with his head shaved and with black marks on his face and head. Qusay's purported image reveals wounds apparently received in the gunbattle and missile attack in which the two men died.

The U.S. government intentionally released the photographs on CD-ROM through the provisional authority in Baghdad because the U.S. military has traditionally been reluctant to release images of slain combatants. The Bush administration complained loudly when images of American dead were broadcast on Arab television networks during the war with Iraq.

The CD also includes X-rays said to show wounds Uday Hussein suffered in a 1996 assassination attempt. Those X-rays helped U.S. forces confirm his identity, according to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the commander of U.S. ground forces in Iraq.

Adnan Pachachi, a former Iraqi foreign minister who now sits on the U.S.-backed Iraqi Governing Council, said Thursday that the brothers' deaths "will hasten the end of the acts of violence that have been perpetuated recently."

"The death of Qusay and Uday has been welcomed by the Iraqi people, because they were a symbol of all the oppression imposed on the people of Iraq for decades," Pachachi said at a news conference in London.

According to a Pentagon official who saw them, the photos are "head shots" that show the men apparently tried to alter their appearances by growing facial hair.

Many Iraqis are skeptical about the deaths of the brothers, who were feared nationwide as ruthless killers and protectors of their father's dictatorship. (Profiles: Qusay Hussein, Uday Hussein)

Former CIA Director James Woolsey said in an interview with CNN that releasing the photographs is necessary. "Normally, we would not do this," he said. "But I think it's necessary for the world to see and particularly for the Iraqis to see that these two are, in fact, dead, that this is not some ginned-up story from the United States."

"We've got to put up with a lot of lying about what has happened and what we're doing," Woolsey said. "And I think, under those circumstances, the pictures are going to be necessary."

Autopsies will be performed and the bodies could be re-photographed after they have been cleaned up, a Pentagon official said.

Dental records, X-rays, and visual identifications from four senior members of Saddam's former regime who are in U.S. custody confirmed the identities of the brothers, according to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, commander of U.S. troops on the ground in Iraq.

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said that killing Saddam's sons was not a choice made by the United States.

"The task of the commanders on the ground is to do their job, and their job has been, without any ambiguity at all, to seek out, find and capture or kill the senior leadership from Iraq," Rumsfeld said Wednesday.

"If a person is determined to fight to the death, then they may very well have that opportunity," he said. "It was not a choice that the United States or the coalition made, it was a choice that the people inside that building made."

The director of the U.S.-led reconstruction effort in Iraq, L. Paul Bremer, said it was clear that the brothers did not want to be taken alive.

During a visit to Washington Wednesday, Bremer was asked if U.S. troops had attempted first to capture the Hussein brothers, who presumably may have had valuable information.

Bremer, who was in Washington at the time of the raid, said: "We went to the door of the house, were refused entry and were fired upon, but with increasingly heavier weapons. And we had to respond and these people were found inside of a very heavily armored room. There was no way they were going to be taken alive." (Gallery: Timeline of the attack)

President Bush called the deaths of Saddam's sons a sign that the former regime is gone and "will not be coming back." (Full story)

Battle in Mosul

In a Wednesday news conference, Sanchez detailed the operation that killed the brothers, an assault that started with a gunbattle on the stairs of a house in Mosul, northern Iraq, and ended with the firing of about 10 anti-tank missiles.

The general said the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division and Special Operations Forces played a role in the attack.

Iraqi police had a role in setting up a cordon around the area of the house in which Saddam's sons were said to be hiding, Sanchez said. (Map) Army .50-caliber machine guns and 10 Humvee-mounted TOW missiles were used in the assault and Sanchez said it's believed the missiles probably killed the brothers. (Details)

CNN correspondents Rym Brahimi, David Ensor, Jamie McIntyre, John King, Barbara Starr and Harris Whitbeck, and producers Pam Benson and Kevin Flower, contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/24/sprj.irq.sons/index.html

(These images are very graphic and difficult to view and are not recommended for children and some adults. Viewer discretion is advised.)

Photos
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/world/0307/gallery.hussein.bodies/content1.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

firstsgtmike
07-25-03, 02:20 AM
My arms are bleeding again, because of my scratching them. You see, I'm allergic to *******s, and I break out in hives when I read about total stupidity.

And in this case, it is coming from many different sectors. Should the pictures have been shown, or not? Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Yes, it is them, no it is not them. Blah, blah, blah, blah.

If anyone had demonstrated the smallest iota of brain power, there would not be a problem or a debate.

If these two men had been killed in an automobile accident, the mortuary would have prepared their remains for viewing by their loved ones.

In addition to embalmbing, the bodies would have been washed, their hair trimmed, beards shaved, wounds sewn and covered with makeup. As much as possible, the bodies placed on view would resemble the images and pictures remembered and cherished by their loved ones.

Who could then object to pictures being taken and published? Who could then deny the identity of the deceased?

Hell, I've got to find my backscratcher, this itch is driving me crazy and I can't quite reach it.

lurchenstein
07-25-03, 03:09 AM
I heard reports of some "bleeding hearts" questioning use of excessive force in taking down the the Hussein Hideout. (Seems there was a shortage of crisis intervention teams in the area.) If none of our troops were killed or wounded, there's nothing to argue (the force was applied just right).