PDA

View Full Version : Non-obligatory Contract Question

marharri
07-09-09, 02:32 PM
Good Afternoon. I have recently heard about the idea of staying in the Marine Corps under a non-obligatory contract all the way up until retirement. I enlisted as a reservist in order to finish college. Now, after four and a half years of service and one semester of college left, I am nearing the end of my contract. I don't know if I want to do OCS yet or get a civilian job, but I'd like to see who's hiring and where first. When I'm done with this initial contract and my 2 years of IRR, can I sign another contract and just stay in the IRR as long as I like? I would like to be able to volunteer for deployments every once in a while and perform occasional reserve duties for as long as I can without having to come into drill every month or do the "two week" annual training. The one I just finished was over three weeks since it was OCONUS and although enjoyable, put a hurting on my internship I was trying to do. Anyone pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. We don't have a career planner at our unit right now and Google hasn't been helping much except for hearsay.

KawiGunny
07-09-09, 02:38 PM
I bet if you fill out your profile you will get all the answers you need.

marharri
07-09-09, 02:40 PM
Will do.

Alisium
07-09-09, 03:31 PM
I knew a Sgt, when I was a non-ob in the reserves, who would come and go whenever something "cool" was going on with 4th LAR.

There are always things like UNITAS deployments that take random Marines from the reserves and IRR to look forrward to.

At least they used to.

temarti
07-09-09, 03:43 PM
I did Non-Ob when I got out, you interview with the 1st Sgt and CO of the Reserve unit. I was fortunate that the Reserve unit was LSB with HE. You are required to drill the weekends and two weeks as any other Reservist does. The only difference is that you can hang up the hat and turn in the gear at anytime no questions asked.

The CO was my Lt. in Oki and told me at the time (1995) that most non-obs last only a few drills, the transition from active to reserve can be difficult. I did four months and turned in my gear, he was right. A simple laugh, handshake and that was it.

Alisium
07-09-09, 03:45 PM
I did two years and several months.

When I first went, they offered me a bonus plus SGT in six months if I signed a two year contract.

I refused because I'm afraid of commitment after my first four.

Stupid move on my part.

Petz
07-09-09, 04:06 PM
non-ob as in SMCR or IRR?

the IRR you can ride out until you get 20 sat years... SMCR same thing but if you miss 9 drills in one fiscal year you can be admin sep'd and you are required to make up drills... sometimes it's a pain in the butt, but you're a reservist so you know what I mean.

the IRR you can do RCT orders and other fun stuff where you can basically tailor it to your needs... you can activate whenever where ever if the unit is willing to sponser you and you get a free plane ride out of it.

I think the IRR is a great place for Marines who don't want active duty or the requirement to drill each month.

you can contact a PSR to get a new contract in the reserves and just not attach to a unit.

marharri
07-09-09, 04:07 PM
If non-ob is nothing more than keep drilling as long as you want, it'll be a NTY. I'd rather go active duty. I'm looking for a non-ob IRR as opposed to SMCR. That way I can try the civilian world a bit before making a more permanent decision.

Edit: TY SSgt Petzold. That's the information I wanted verified.

Petz
07-09-09, 04:12 PM
yeah, you can re enlist with your PSR and drop to the IRR... and just sign another contract after that one with a PSR and just not attach to the unit.

keep in mind your training is required only once every two years for the most part... and you only need the 15 credits to be eligible for promotion in the IRR so long as your training is up to date.

but you need to get promoted to go past the 8 year mark I think.... you'll have to look into that... I never bothered to look into it....