PDA

View Full Version : Marines boxing

Prophet19
07-09-09, 09:22 AM
I'm going to basic august 31st and I want to do boxing in the Marines, but I have no experience! Is there anyway I could get training while on base and eventually join their team?

thewookie
07-09-09, 09:25 AM
I'm going to basic august 31st and I want to do boxing in the Marines, but I have no experience! Is there anyway I could get training while on base and eventually join their team?

Do you want to be the next Sugar Shane Mosley or do you want to be a US Marine?:evilgrin:

NoRemorse
07-09-09, 09:31 AM
He saw the piece on Vic Foster. Big shoes to fill kid.

It's Boot not basic. Joining a boxing team will not be your primary concern while training or going to MOS school. If you've already got some talent then it would depend on your unit. You will learn MCMAP. If you want to learn how to box you'd have to make it through Boot and MOS school and hope that there are Marines in the area with boxing experience willing to take you under their wing.

Otherwise, pony up the dough at a boxing gym and get a trainer. Your primary concern is shipping in about a month and a half and earning the title.

Sergeant M
07-09-09, 06:40 PM
Once you hit the fleet there will be plenty of drunken boxing in the beer garden. Just go out there and pick a fight with every drunk Marine you see. If you survive a couple months then you'll be ready to try out for the team. SemperFit has all types of those programs.

SlingerDun
07-09-09, 09:07 PM
Prophet, how does "All Marine Boxing Team" sound? :marine:
Not! you should already have more than a few AAU bouts under your belt by now starting at least a couple years ago. You won't qualify but let's say you did fight for a position and make the team: You would be fighting fellow service members who are boxers, disciplined with coaches and busted noses and humping it in structured training programs like little men while you were watching pokeman after school. There you'd be with your dreams of inexperience windmilling and flailing those arms about desperately trying to deflect an attack and survive round 1 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

tripledog
07-09-09, 09:27 PM
What you should really do, is demand to go to Diego, then when you graduate boot, you can go into town and fight them gd navy peeheads. Now that is boxing at its finest.