PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marines Patrol Through Mine-littered Battlefield

thedrifter
07-09-09, 06:46 AM
U.S. Marines Patrol Through Mine-littered Battlefield

During the day and night, the Marines of 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, Company G bravely patrol through the mine-infested city of Now Zad.

The Taliban has a heavy presence here after driving away the town's former civilian population, and they have turned the old city into a minefield in attempts to cripple the Marines here. However, these young Americans have showed courage on this battlefield and have proven that they will keep coming in the face of danger.

"When you go out on patrols here, you just have to stay focused," said 2nd Lt. Malachi Bennett, 26, commander of 3rd Platoon, Company G. "It is easy to be distracted by the dangers, but we are more concerned with the mission at hand."

Bennett says the Marines stay on task because they are disciplined, go out with a solid plan, and know their roles. When they are tasked with a mission that takes them through certain danger, the Marines never back down.

"They don't complain because they know the mission is important," said Sgt. Derek Forte, 24, a squad leader with 3rd Plt.

The members of this extremely close-knit unit are more concerned with their fellow comrades than themselves, and they understand the return for the risk they take.

"If we don't push our patrols, the enemy will push closer and closer to us," said Bennett. "The more we learn about our enemy, the more effective we can be in taking the fight to them."

When the Marines patrol through Now Zad, they have to be observant and at the top of their game. There is no room for error.

"I try to focus on everything around while watching every step I take," said Lance Cpl. Lukas Ellinger, 21, a rifleman with 3rd Plt. from Stanwood, Wash. "I notice different things at different times of the day ... I take it step-by-step and learn more every time."

The Marines conduct both day and night operations in Now Zad because the different environments can be advantageous to varying missions. The consensus among the Marines is that the eerie feeling that comes with patrolling through the mine-littered streets of an abandoned city increases exponentially at night as the wind howls through the alleyways and visibility decreases. But, they overcome any existing fears with the confidence they have in one another, and they press forward.

"As each day goes by, we get more intelligence on the enemy than they get on us - that is comforting," said Forte.

Their patrols are not only dangerous, they require a leader with intelligence and tactical proficiency. The many natural and manmade obstacles across the battlefield in addition to the Taliban-made mines bring further complexity to their area of operation.

"Finding the best route and maneuvering the patrol through areas that could have mines anywhere is the hardest part," according to Forte who has lead more than 25 patrols here in the last two months. "I try to think clearly and do what seems best ... I just want to keep my guys alive."

The Marines in Now Zad display true courage, and they know what sacrifice is all about. They understand it. They live it. Their way of life is summarized in a saying that is posted in the 3rd Plt. headquarters - "I have not ceased to be fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control my life."

Comment on this story, by email comment@newsblaze.com

Ellie