View Full Version : Friendship leads pair into Marines

thedrifter
07-08-09, 08:36 AM
July 7, 2009
Friendship leads pair into Marines

Rutherford teens eager for change

By Mark Bell
GANNETT TENNESSEE

Two La Vergne High School students who have been best friends and neighbors for more than 14 years are beginning new chapters in their lives together as both prepared to enter boot camp at Parris Island, S.C., on Monday.

Zach Boulanger and Blake Morton, both 18, decided long ago that military service was for them. It was Morton, however, who coaxed Boulanger into joining the United States Marine Corps instead of any other military branch.

"I've always been gung-ho Marine Corps," Morton said.

After both teens were convinced, it was a more difficult time convincing all of their parents. The debate started when they were 17. Shelly Morton said they begged to be signed up for the Marines.

The parents decided resistance was futile.

"At one point, Blake said, 'Mom, you are hurting me by not signing me up because I'm recruiting all these people and it would make me a higher rank if I sign up now,' " Shelly Morton said.

The move did, in fact, pay off for her son, who was promoted to private first class for helping recruit six individuals into the corps.

Morton, who will be training to be an infantryman, talked about why he wanted to join the service. A big influence, he said, was the fact his dad had served in the Army.

"I also joined hoping to have a future in law enforcement," he said, adding he has aspirations to be an FBI agent or even an actor.

Boulanger, on the other hand, is training to enter the intelligence community after Parris Island and has his eye set on another government agency.

"I plan to put about 20 years in the service," he said. "I'm doing electronic warfare intelligence, so I'm almost guaranteed a job with the CIA. I'm going to college after boot camp, but I'm not sure where. My intelligence school is going to be Camp Pendleton, Calif."

Lives take new turn

While both are glad to be starting their lives in the "real world," they talked about how they'd miss their parents.

"It's going to suck, to be honest," Boulanger said. "Especially with boot camp, because we can't have contact with our parents over the phone or through e-mail. It's going to be a long time without talking to my mother."

Donna Boulanger said she will miss "the man of her house."

"It's been just me, him and his sister…," she said. "It's going to be tough without him for a while."

Morton reminisced about the time he met Zach Boulanger. Morton had just moved into the neighborhood with his family and was trying to ride his bike for the first time without training wheels. Boulanger helped. The friendship was formed.

The boys attended school together, first at Smyrna Primary, then Thurman Francis, Rock Springs Middle and finally at La Vergne High School.

Boulanger was captain of the tennis team all four years at La Vergne. He also participated in ROTC, drill team and the drama club. He was voted Mr. School Spirit his senior year.

Morton was a football player and captain of the team his senior year. He also participated in wrestling and cross country. He was voted best La Vergne High School actor the past three years and was also drama king. He and Boulanger were voted onto the homecoming court in 2008.

Though their parents said they were proud of all their sons' accomplishments, they believe graduating from boot camp will be among the best.

"I'm very proud of them," Richard Morton said. "This whole experience is going to be what they make of it. It's up to them."

Ellie