PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo removal

kimosabi1988
07-07-09, 10:55 PM
Hello Marines, So I have been asking around and I'm sure that some of you have read my post about covering up my tattoos for my recruiter. From what the Marines here have told me this can't be done, I have decided to just get them removed and be safe. I heard someone say that some laser treatment places offer discounts or loans for this type of situation. My question is, Does anyone here know of any of these places, Or any alternatives. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Lisa 23
07-07-09, 11:19 PM
Do you have a family doctor? If so, in my opinion, I would make an appointment and ask for his/her advice and if he/she can refer you to any doctor or clinic in the area where you live.
Again, in my opinion, that's the only way you are going to get all the answers that you want about having your tattoos removed.

kimosabi1988
07-07-09, 11:30 PM
Here's the thing, I do not have any Money and no family with the money to help, Cant find a job in california. And no, I don't have a family doc so I would have to pay to see a doc. What should I do? I am starting to lose motovation here. I have worked my a$$ off to get here and now I'm being told that I am not fit to serve my country because of some stupid tattoos!

Sergeant M
07-07-09, 11:50 PM
Get really drunk and have one of your buddies do it with a hot iron.

marine95
07-08-09, 12:25 AM
What tattoos are they and what's the location of them? Or is it that your recruiter just doesn't want to do the leg work for you? I had many applicants that had tattoos and even 1 applicant that had a part of one removed to just below the neck bone just to get in. Once in the Naval Hospital can remove the rest.

kimosabi1988
07-08-09, 01:03 AM
I have three tattoos. The first and biggest is a death dealer that is on my left leg, It covers from my ankle to just below my knee on the outside of my calf. The second is a grenade lying in 45. shells, It is in the same spot but on the other leg and is just a little bigger than my hand. The last is a thick woman sitting in a chair eating a sandwich, It is just above my right knee and I can cover it with my hand. I think my recruiter does not want to do the work because I've seen pleanty of people get in with tattoos but i also know the Corps has met quota.

commdog7
07-08-09, 03:00 AM
Tattoos which are noticeable in pt gear are frowned upon in the Marine Corps, they are unprofessional. It isn't the Marines fault that you decided to get tattoos in these areas, you screwed yourself. Maybe you should see about getting a loan or something to pay for the removal, but I think your easiest opinion would be to step inside an Army recruiting station- I hear they take almost anyone.

Marines have high standards. If you can't meet these high standards, you can't be a Marine.

kimosabi1988
07-08-09, 03:52 AM
LOL I like your sense of humor! I'll Figure it out.

BR34
07-08-09, 05:52 AM
It was me that told you I got a discount, but that was in Louisiana back in 2004 or 2005. Google your way to some California information.

Parker-0321
07-08-09, 06:15 AM
The last is a thick woman sitting in a chair eating a sandwich...

Please, leave that one lol :yes:

killbodies3027
07-08-09, 07:09 AM
Tattoos which are noticeable in pt gear are frowned upon in the Marine Corps, they are unprofessional. It isn't the Marines fault that you decided to get tattoos in these areas, you screwed yourself. Maybe you should see about getting a loan or something to pay for the removal, but I think your easiest opinion would be to step inside an Army recruiting station- I hear they take almost anyone.

Marines have high standards. If you can't meet these high standards, you can't be a Marine.

I hope you are joking. The Marine Corps is loaded with people tattooed from head to toe. In fact, the Marine Corps was one of the last places where you could have sleeve tattoos and still be considered "professional" in uniform. I think it's a load of crap that you are sitting here trying to lecture this guy on something that PLENTY of Marines are guilty (bad choice of word but you know what I mean) of doing themselves.

I get that the new tatoo policy is very strict now, but I highly doubt you ever confronted a Marine for having tattoos all over the places and call him "unprofessional."

Anyways, my advice to you dude is to ask for a tattoo waiver from your recruiter. He'll probably advise you otherwise, but this is your future we're talking about here, tell him you want a waiver or you'll find someone who is willing to help you.

If you are denied a tattoo waiver then borrow, beg, work, stand on a street corner, do whatever you have to do to raise enough money to see a doc and get that stuff removed.

commdog7
07-08-09, 10:53 AM
Killbodies: the Marine Corps has the highest standards, and from what I know, the Corps in the only one that is cracking down on tattoos. I happen to agree with the Commandant, I think tattoos which are exposed in uniform are unprofessional.

The current Marines with sleeve tattoos are 'grandfathered' into the new policy. But all poolees looking to enter the Corps better not have tattoos in these areas, otherwise they can expect their enlistment to be denied. I don't think they offer waivers for this, but if they do, the Corps has met their 202k upgrade, therefore our standards are much higher... the Corps isn't granting as many waivers as they used too.

Killbodies: You need to fix your attitude, I am getting tired of reminding you about this. You are a Marine, act like one.

killbodies3027
07-08-09, 11:11 AM
Killbodies: the Marine Corps has the highest standards

o rly?

and from what I know, the Corps in the only one that is cracking down on tattoos. I happen to agree with the Commandant, I think tattoos which are exposed in uniform are unprofessional.

And why do you think tattoos that can be seen are unprofessional? We're in the business of killing people, not trying to look like businessmen. Not only that, but when we are actually overseas in battle we're covered up by our cammies, thus nullifying the whole argument about it being "unprofessional."

The current Marines with sleeve tattoos are 'grandfathered' into the new policy. But all poolees looking to enter the Corps better not have tattoos in these areas, otherwise they can expect their enlistment to be denied. I don't think they offer waivers for this, but if they do, the Corps has met their 202k upgrade, therefore our standards are much higher... the Corps isn't granting as many waivers as they used too.

I think this comment was intended for the wanabe.

Killbodies: You need to fix your attitude, I am getting tired of reminding you about this. You are a Marine, act like one.

You need to stop trying to tell me what to do. Apparently you didn't get the memo about me not bowing down to every little thing you say.

And what the hell was the "You are a Marine, act like one" comment supposed to mean? I can't speak my mind without being acting like a "non-Marine?" I don't get it.

commdog7
07-08-09, 01:55 PM
Killbodies:

Marines pride themselves on being presentable. That's the same reason Marines get hair cuts each week, shave every day, and always have their uniforms squared away. Tattoos are identifying marks, and depending how large they are or what they contain, they negatively affect the image of the Marine Corps. We take pride and honor in our image as Marines. Our image is not limited to our ability to fight, but also how professional we are and look in uniform. The Commandant and SgtMaj of the MC agrees with this concept. We are not sloppy like the Army, we are professional in every way.

That comment about the tattoo waivers was intended for you as well. It was obvious by your post that you did not understand the new tattoo policy. You really should do your research before you 'correct' another Marine.

If you really are a Marine, you need to start acting like one. Have you forgotten everything you learned in the Corps? You obviously don't respect the Marines on this site. You act like a child, picking arguments because you think you are all that. You have no sense of honor or pride in the service you represent... you are a disgrace to the Corps. It is sh!tbags like you who give the Corps a bad name. I think it would be best if you were to leave this site. This is a place for Marines who have served honorably and take great pride in their service and fellow Marines.... you are not one of us. I'm not just referring to this thread, but all threads in which you have posted.

bowers72
07-08-09, 02:35 PM
If you don't like tattoos, feel free to not get any. You have that right. What you do not have the right to do is tell me that I look unprofessional if I have any. That is not any different than me telling you that you look like a sissy in uniform because you don't have any tattoos. No one thought twice about tattoos 20 years ago until the US and the Marine Corps started becoming so politically correct. God forbid one of the Marine Corps warriors have ink on their arm. Am I also unprofessional in my police uniform now? The current rules are what they are. Personal opinions should be kept just that, personal. And as one last point, since I do not agree with your opinion, does that I do not belong on this sight because I am not one of you?

kimosabi1988
07-08-09, 03:06 PM
Oh I will keep that one! That is the only one that doesn't need a waiver.

BR34
07-08-09, 03:09 PM
Commdog, you have a history here of judging an entire group of people by something as silly as tattoos. You once judged Marines with GEDs + college, saying they don't deserve to be in the Corps, because they don't live up to YOUR standards. Now you're judging EVERY Marine with a tattoo, because we aren't "professional".

You have a holier-than-thou attitude toward all us common folks. You need to stop looking down your nose at everyone who is different than you and your silver spoon eating cronies with their 3 peice suits in the 90210 or wherever you came from.

And then there's the net-rank-pulling...really? I know it's coming. Since you came around here I've been defined by you as a sh*tbag for having a GED/College, having tattoos, and having the AUDASITY to disagree with a Sgt over the internet. If you're so much better than everyone of us, maybe you should take your own advice and leave.

You want to talk about unprofessional--your generalizations are one of the most unprofessional things I witness here.

kimosabi1988
07-08-09, 03:12 PM
Thanks to the Marines who Actually can see my predicament and give thier advice. I dont see why people look down on others for having tattoos, And to ComDog, None of my tattoos show in anything but pt gear. ,
We're in the business of killing people, not trying to look like businessmen. I feel the same way.

killbodies3027
07-08-09, 03:15 PM
Killbodies:

Marines pride themselves on being presentable. That's the same reason Marines get hair cuts each week, shave every day, and always have their uniforms squared away. Tattoos are identifying marks, and depending how large they are or what they contain, they negatively affect the image of the Marine Corps. We take pride and honor in our image as Marines. Our image is not limited to our ability to fight, but also how professional we are and look in uniform. The Commandant and SgtMaj of the MC agrees with this concept. We are not sloppy like the Army, we are professional in every way.

haha wow, lay off of the kool-aid would ya?

Let me ask you a stupid question; did you think Marines looked unprofessional with tattoos on their legs and forearms prior to the HQMC making their tattoo policy more strict?

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that you didn't, thus making your entire argument moot.

Listen, the people who are going to be in view of and contact with Marines most of the time (most meaning 99% of the time) are other Marines. Would you go up to some Marine and tell him you thought he looked unprofessional because he had an EGA tattooed on his calf? No, you wouldn't. Ironically, most of the senior Marines I trained with when I first hit the fleet were some of the most tattooed people I've ever met in my life, and they were **** hot as well. They weren't unprofessional in the slightest.

If the HQMC was so bothered by Marines having tattoos visible then they should just make us go sleeves down year round to avoid any problems. Interestingly enough, they don't have that big of a problem with it since they are keeping people around who, quite honestly, represent the Marine Corps moreso than some new boot.

That comment about the tattoo waivers was intended for you as well. It was obvious by your post that you did not understand the new tattoo policy. You really should do your research before you 'correct' another Marine.

Where exactly did you get the idea that I don't know anything about the new policies? I said I disagree with it, not that I don't know anything about it. Also, I wasn't correcting you, I was disagreeing with you. Learn how to read and stop assuming stuff.

If you really are a Marine, you need to start acting like one. Have you forgotten everything you learned in the Corps? You obviously don't respect the Marines on this site. You act like a child, picking arguments because you think you are all that. You have no sense of honor or pride in the service you represent... you are a disgrace to the Corps. It is sh!tbags like you who give the Corps a bad name. I think it would be best if you were to leave this site. This is a place for Marines who have served honorably and take great pride in their service and fellow Marines.... you are not one of us. I'm not just referring to this thread, but all threads in which you have posted.

Ah, so now I'm some guy pretending to be a Marine because I completely disagree with your nonsensical, yesman opinions about tattoos, awesome.

I respect Marines, but like I've stated before, there are a lot of dumb Marines, just like there are a lot of dumb people. Marines are not infalliable, and the self-righteousness that spews from this site is sickening sometimes (look no further than yourself). You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and cannnot rationally think for yourself without pulling the "See! See! They don't like it either!" card.

Rocky C
07-08-09, 06:18 PM
Hello Marines, So I have been asking around and I'm sure that some of you have read my post about covering up my tattoos for my recruiter. From what the Marines here have told me this can't be done, I have decided to just get them removed and be safe. I heard someone say that some laser treatment places offer discounts or loans for this type of situation. My question is, Does anyone here know of any of these places, Or any alternatives. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

http://www.tattoohealth.org/

Rocky

commdog7
07-08-09, 06:21 PM
Commdog, you have a history here of judging an entire group of people by something as silly as tattoos. You once judged Marines with GEDs + college, saying they don't deserve to be in the Corps, because they don't live up to YOUR standards. Now you're judging EVERY Marine with a tattoo, because we aren't "professional".

You have a holier-than-thou attitude toward all us common folks. You need to stop looking down your nose at everyone who is different than you and your silver spoon eating cronies with their 3 peice suits in the 90210 or wherever you came from.

And then there's the net-rank-pulling...really? I know it's coming. Since you came around here I've been defined by you as a sh*tbag for having a GED/College, having tattoos, and having the AUDASITY to disagree with a Sgt over the internet. If you're so much better than everyone of us, maybe you should take your own advice and leave.

You want to talk about unprofessional--your generalizations are one of the most unprofessional things I witness here.

First off, it is not my opinion alone that tattoos in uniform are 'unprofessional'. Have you read the new tattoo policy order??? If you have, then you would know that the MARINE CORPS views tattoos as 'unprofessional'. The Commandant views them as unprofessional, does that mean that he is a bad Marine? That's the whole reason for the new policy, because tattoos look unprofessional in uniform. It's not for health reasons or OPSEC reasons, it is for unprofessional reasons. The policy states they are unprofessional, the Commandant has expressed that they look unprofessional, the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps has expressed that they look unprofessional, and just because I agree, I'm a bad Marine? Do your research first before you condemn a fellow Marine, I am just agreing with the policy. Tattoos are referred to 'unprofessional' in the policy itself.

Silver spoon? Ha, I don't think so. I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods with some of the worst influences. My parents cared more about buying drugs than putting food on the table. Yes, I'm a harsh judger, mostly because I defied the odds... if I can do it, there is no reason anyone else shouldn't be able to resist the temptations of society (like stealing, dropping out of school, or doing drugs). I have no sympathy for others who choose these dark paths and then turn around and blame it on where/how they grew up.

You have no idea what life I have lived. I sincerely apologize for the way I acted towards you in the other thread BR34, my behavior was out of line. All I am trying to say in this thread is that I agree with the tattoo policy and the reseasoning behind it. Sorry if I offend anyone, I have a tendency to automatically assume Marines have thick skin.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 06:25 PM
Can't we all just get along?

commdog7
07-08-09, 06:42 PM
Killbodies:

I am not paid to think, I am paid to do. The Marine Corps tells me what to think and I obey. If the Marine Corps tells me tattoos look unprofessional, then they look unprofessional. That's how it goes: the instant obedience to all orders and respect for authority- that's the definition of discipline that was pounded into my head in boot camp.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 06:45 PM
We are expected to have individual thought after bootcamp however. The Marine Corps hasn't become what it is due to everyone walking around like robots, we have individuals that think and improve upon our already established SOP.

BR34
07-08-09, 07:07 PM
First off, it is not my opinion alone that tattoos in uniform are 'unprofessional'. Have you read the new tattoo policy order??? If you have, then you would know that the MARINE CORPS views tattoos as 'unprofessional'. The Commandant views them as unprofessional, does that mean that he is a bad Marine? That's the whole reason for the new policy, because tattoos look unprofessional in uniform. It's not for health reasons or OPSEC reasons, it is for unprofessional reasons. The policy states they are unprofessional, the Commandant has expressed that they look unprofessional, the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps has expressed that they look unprofessional, and just because I agree, I'm a bad Marine? Do your research first before you condemn a fellow Marine, I am just agreing with the policy. Tattoos are referred to 'unprofessional' in the policy itself.

Silver spoon? Ha, I don't think so. I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods with some of the worst influences. My parents cared more about buying drugs than putting food on the table. Yes, I'm a harsh judger, mostly because I defied the odds... if I can do it, there is no reason anyone else shouldn't be able to resist the temptations of society (like stealing, dropping out of school, or doing drugs). I have no sympathy for others who choose these dark paths and then turn around and blame it on where/how they grew up.

You have no idea what life I have lived. I sincerely apologize for the way I acted towards you in the other thread BR34, my behavior was out of line. All I am trying to say in this thread is that I agree with the tattoo policy and the reseasoning behind it. Sorry if I offend anyone, I have a tendency to automatically assume Marines have thick skin.

Semper Fidelis :iwo:

No one said you are a bad Marine. You do have quite a tendency of looking down on anyone you view as less than yourself though (for whatever reason--tattoos, GEDs, crimes in their past, etc). Remember when you said no one that has ever committed a crime, no matter how they rectified the situation and turned around their life, deserves to be a Marine? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You have a superiority complex. And as already stated, saying "the Commandant said", or "the Marine Corps said", don't take responsibility away from what YOU said.

By the way, I've shook hands with the SMMC, with a tattoo on my right wrist, and my left forearm. You know what he did? He put a medal in my hand, and told me "good job" on my accomplishments. He didn't mention me looking unprofessional, and obviously the tattoos have never effected my performance in the Marine Corps.

And again, just to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying you are bad Marine. I'm saying you're an elitist.

commdog7
07-08-09, 07:17 PM
I like to think the Marine Corps is perfect in every way, but that doesn't mean I am blind to the reality. I cringe at the very thought of all the drug/criminal waivers the Marine Corps is handing out, I think the acceptance of so many waivers hurt the image of the Corps. Does that mean that all these individuals who have received a waiver will be bad Marines? No, most of them will serve honorably in the Corps. But I do like the idea of limiting waivers, making it more difficult to receive waivers for minor offenses because I believe that will raise the image of the Corps. The less waivers the Corps has to issue, the higher standards we maintain, and the better poolees we recieve (not always the case, I know).

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 07:19 PM
We all do stupid stuff in our life, regardless of whether you're caught or convicted. If we didn't let anyone in the Corps with a minor offense then we would be a VERY small branch of the military. "The Few, The Proud, The Marines" would be literal.

Artemis
07-08-09, 10:33 PM
Apparently I am not a good Marine either. I have many visible tattoos and a drug waiver among other things so I never should have been allowed to go in. Please give me a break. This is the biggest load of BS I have heard since Achped started that ridiculous thread about his buddies GF.

Petz
07-08-09, 10:47 PM
will you all shut the fvck up in this forum?!

I should haze all of you (if only we were all in the same location....)

grow up, take it to the hooch and I have to take (partially) CommDogs POV about tattoos being un-professional.

I don't mean to say you shouldn't get them or it's not cool, but when you have them visable it can hurt your after service professional options. The order is more for veterans to be able to get jobs that don't require a bar tenders liscence.

be grateful they are saving you from yourselves and your short sightedness... young kids do dumb stuff like getting married (they have a rule about having marriage counseling too... is that wrong to non-rec a junior Marine for dis-obeying that order?), drinking and driving, some do drugs and lots get tattoos...

those tattoos don't go away like some of the other stupid mistakes... like a wife.

The Marine Corps loves you, so they try to protect you from your own stupid idiotic mistakes.

I'd bet some money the CMC has a tattoo he regrets from his LT days...

now shut-up about this and carry on.

WKranz
07-08-09, 10:54 PM
I like to think the Marine Corps is perfect in every way, but that doesn't mean I am blind to the reality. I cringe at the very thought of all the drug/criminal waivers the Marine Corps is handing out, I think the acceptance of so many waivers hurt the image of the Corps. Does that mean that all these individuals who have received a waiver will be bad Marines? No, most of them will serve honorably in the Corps. But I do like the idea of limiting waivers, making it more difficult to receive waivers for minor offenses because I believe that will raise the image of the Corps. The less waivers the Corps has to issue, the higher standards we maintain, and the better poolees we recieve (not always the case, I know).

It's unlikely that anyone is going to hear Marine Corps and get a bad taste in their mouth because the image they conjure up is some guy signing his drug waiver.

The general public hears Marine Corps and they think of Dress Blues and years of tradition, not a wealth of tattoos in forbidden places. Anyone who has a dislike of the Corps probably is a hippie, who dislikes the fact that Marines fight and win wars, not that they're letting in GEDs.

The acceptance of waivers has hurt YOUR image of the Corps, not the general publics.

commdog7
07-08-09, 10:56 PM
Getting back on track... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Corps offers tattoo waivers.

Marines with existing tattoos in these areas are grandfathered into the new policy, but if they choose to get another tattoo which is noticeable in PT gear, they can/will be subject to disciplinary action. For this reason, I do not believe any waivers will be granted for poolees who have these types of tattoos.... unless the military is willing to pay to get them removed.

Petz
07-08-09, 11:17 PM
they can waiver up to 4 tattoos... so long as they are not showing in PT gear.

BR34
07-09-09, 05:44 AM
And new tattoos that show in PT gear are still allowed.

killbodies3027
07-09-09, 07:01 AM
Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that commiedog is just an idiot. Thanks for the laughs though.

Petz
07-09-09, 07:40 AM
killbodies, what the fvck did I say?

killbodies3027
07-09-09, 08:04 AM
Words and stuff.

Petz
07-09-09, 08:10 AM
take it to the hooch Cpl...

killbodies3027
07-09-09, 08:31 AM
No point, the argument is over now.