PDA

View Full Version : NCO sword

nickl
07-07-09, 09:09 PM
I've recently been looking for an NCO sword but am not sure as to exactly what the regs on what kind of sword I need are. The MCCS online clothing page shows 2 different NCO swords the anodized one that is almost $700 and one that is from the DSCP for about $90. What exactly is the difference? I am getting married soon so I am limited in the amount of money I can spend, but I don't want to sacrifice quality and meeting regs just for the sake of costs. My understanding is that all brass must be anodized so since my buckle and buttons are anodized that means my medals must be also (?) but what about the sword? I didn't know it came any other way. Anyone with clarification on this?

nickl
07-07-09, 09:17 PM
I meant to say that all brass must be the same and since my belt buckle and buttons are anodized that means my medals must be also (?) but what about the NCO sword?

Pete0331
07-07-09, 09:40 PM
I meant to say that all brass must be the same and since my belt buckle and buttons are anodized that means my medals must be also (?) but what about the NCO sword?

For continuity purposes you need to have anodized medals.

The difference between the $700 and $100 NCO's swords is the quality.
Gold plated hilt, real leather handle, a longer tang, and a better quality engraving are the main differences.

The $100 models that you see in all the magazines are the same type that the USMC uses in the Corporals course for the sword manual.
They fall apart quickly, rattle, and loose their shine.
If you are going to buy a sword use it during a wedding, and then stick it in a closet, the $100 one will be fine.
Use it once then mount it on the wall.

Make sure you're sword isn't to long or to short.

Edit: All brass is NOT technically required to be anodized on the blues.
Since it looks better when is anodized most units prefer it.

nickl
07-07-09, 10:05 PM
I know that all brass is not required to be anodized. That is why I corrected myself, it must all be the same. I personally like the look of non anodized medals better than anodized however all of my buttons and my buckle are anodized so that means my medals must be also. I want a decent quality NCO sword but can by no means afford $700 or even the $400 ones that I have seen.

Pete0331
07-07-09, 11:13 PM
I know that all brass is not required to be anodized. That is why I corrected myself, it must all be the same. I personally like the look of non anodized medals better than anodized however all of my buttons and my buckle are anodized so that means my medals must be also. I want a decent quality NCO sword but can by no means afford $700 or even the $400 ones that I have seen.

The $100 aren't bad, but if you constantly use them they will break.
I don't have personal experience using the el supremo version.
Save your money, I wouldn't spend that much on a sword unless it was a light saber.

SlingerDun
07-07-09, 11:41 PM
If it takes 12 Chinese factory workers one 12 hour shift with grinders and buffers to produce something that appears authentic on a website with the help of photoshop, then it can be let go for the bargain price of 100 dollar and still turn a profit.

On the high end, A knife or swordsmith with the forearms of Popeye and disposition of a wreckingyard dog who is trained in the ancient order and secrets of blacksmithing, alchemy, metallurgy and wizard stuff http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif May take more than 24 hours "simply" to anneal Damascus blade stock just so he can harden it again after hours of drawing, welding, packing....twist... drawing, welding, packing.... repeat... and won't even stoke up his forge for no $100.

An old timey craftsman from one of the Slav country's threw a glass Coke bottle and chased me out of his shop when i was green and gasped at the price of a hammer he wasn't offering to sell, but thats another story.

--->Dave

Wyoming
07-07-09, 11:50 PM
If it takes 12 Chinese factory workers one 12 hour shift with grinders and buffers to produce something that appears authentic on a website with the help of photoshop, then it can be let go for the bargain price of 100 dollar and still turn a profit.

On the high end, A knife or swordsmith with the forearms of Popeye and disposition of a wreckingyard dog who is trained in the ancient order and secrets of blacksmithing, alchemy, metallurgy and wizard stuff http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif May take more than 24 hours "simply" to anneal Damascus blade stock just so he can harden it again after hours of drawing, welding, packing....twist... drawing, welding, packing.... repeat... and won't even stoke up his forge for no $100.

An old timey craftsman from one of the Slav country's threw a glass Coke bottle and chased me out of his shop when i was green and gasped at the price of a hammer he wasn't offering to sell, but thats another story.

--->Dave

I will say, 'There, you have your answer!!'

marine95
07-08-09, 12:22 AM
I never saw a sword for $700. I have one that was $375. I bought it from the Marine Corps catalog. All anodized and looks great even after sitting for years. As mentioned from Pete0331, if it's just for the ceremony, $100 is fine. But keep in mind that over time, the sword will loose its shine.

nickl
07-08-09, 01:18 AM
Marine 95, on the NEX Marine Corps Uniforms onliine store (www.usmc-mccs.org/uniforms (http://www.usmc-mccs.org/uniforms)) there are two NCO swords listed the ANODIZED MC NCO sword for $679 or the MC NCO Sword (DSCP) for $86.58 and this site (www.militarysabers.com/marine-nco-sword-certified.html (http://www.militarysabers.com/marine-nco-sword-certified.html) ) offers the NCO Sword for $440. The reason for me posting this was the huge price difference. I don't want to buy the cheap one if the quality is going to suck. However, I really cannot afford the price difference for the expensive one.

Petz
07-08-09, 02:11 AM
as was said, the more expensive one is done by a sword smith and etched by hand... the cheap-o one is a stamped blade that is polished and etched by stencil in a machine and the hilt is held in by plastic and other easy wearing do-dads....

best to buy one that's around the 400 dollar range, but I'd suggest talking to one of the SNCOs who do the NCO course to get you sized up for the proper length as you want a 400 dollar sword to be able to get used and not be too long or short... it'd be a keeper for life.

Pete0331
07-08-09, 03:14 AM
best to buy one that's around the 400 dollar range, but I'd suggest talking to one of the SNCOs who do the NCO course to get you sized up for the proper length as you want a 400 dollar sword to be able to get used and not be too long or short... it'd be a keeper for life.

Sizing is easy.
When you are in "Carry Sword" position, the tip of the sword should be at the middle of the ear.

Petz
07-08-09, 04:10 AM
can you tell me what length mine is at 6'2"?

it's best to have a few lengths and the SNCOs who run your Cpls course can have you go talk to someone at the warehouse (maybe set it up if needed) so you can try them out.

also, if you're interested... you can ask your command to borrow one of theirs for your wedding... they'll sign it out the day before your wedding and you can turn it in the following business day. doesn't hurt to ask.

MichelleJoyce
07-08-09, 11:36 AM
The $100 aren't bad, but if you constantly use them they will break.
I don't have personal experience using the el supremo version.
Save your money, I wouldn't spend that much on a sword unless it was a light saber.

lol you and your light sabers!

:banana:

SgtLisdog58
07-08-09, 04:57 PM
can you tell me what length mine is at 6'2"?

it's best to have a few lengths and the SNCOs who run your Cpls course can have you go talk to someone at the warehouse (maybe set it up if needed) so you can try them out.

also, if you're interested... you can ask your command to borrow one of theirs for your wedding... they'll sign it out the day before your wedding and you can turn it in the following business day. doesn't hurt to ask.

Actually SSgt, Pete0331 is correct. You can't go off of someone's height and tell them how long of a sword they need. I am 6'4" and need a 36", but have a couple friends that are same height and need a little shorter. Just depends on if you have stubs for arms or if you drag the ground.:) Although having yourself measured a couple of times won't hurt!

Petz
07-08-09, 06:34 PM
that's my point... I suggested he go talk to the guy who can get him access to the different sizes so he can get the right size.... why am I wrong???

SgtLisdog58
07-08-09, 08:27 PM
I was actually referencing the part that you asked him to tell you the length of yours since you are 6'2".

Petz
07-08-09, 09:04 PM
that was my indirect way of correcting him... apparently it doesn't work on everybody. :D

sparkie
07-08-09, 09:21 PM
I got mine for Christmas, couple o years ago. The blade is set in plastic. That's good enough for me. But you want a real sword? $800.00 is about right. For ceremony, the $90.00 job will do fine.

Petz
07-08-09, 09:23 PM
or borrow the units for the day....

sparkie
07-08-09, 09:26 PM
Petz,,,,,,, You got yours? 4 Christmasses ago I got my K-Bar,,,,,,,,, Sliced the Christmas ham with it.

Petz
07-08-09, 09:27 PM
no, gotta wait till I get back in and I'll buy the german version (half german)

sparkie
07-08-09, 09:30 PM
Sounds real, Bro. Congrats,,,,,,,

SgtLisdog58
07-09-09, 12:30 AM
that was my indirect way of correcting him... apparently it doesn't work on everybody. :D

It's alright SSgt, I've also learned that sarcasim doesn't work out that well online either.

GIrene
07-09-09, 12:47 AM
I do want to get one of those nice German ones one day. Most likely when I get *out* of the barracks. Bad enough I have to keep my M1911A1, M1 Garand and 98k Mauser as well as my bayonets, fighting knives and WW2 KaBar at a friend's house (who lives in Orange County which is a nice 45 min+ drive away), don't need to dump a NCO sword on that mess... :D

I assume that its kept in an armory because A. They are still technically classified as a weapon in the Marine Corps Inventory, or B. Some drunk/angry Marine stabbed someone with an NCO sword (would not surprise me in the least knowing Leathernecks)

Petz
07-09-09, 07:48 AM
no, it's a uniform item for you, you are authorized to have it in your barracks room. Check with your local command to ensure you don't have any local rules. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as the sabre isn't sharp.

GIrene
07-09-09, 09:10 AM
no, it's a uniform item for you, you are authorized to have it in your barracks room. Check with your local command to ensure you don't have any local rules. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as the sabre isn't sharp.

Hmm. Well I thought so for the fact its ceremonial, but according to the SNCOs I have to check it into the armory. Thats always had me a little confused.

Petz
07-09-09, 09:24 AM
that's interesting as I knew some Marine who had theirs on their wall... well rules change and are different depending on where you are.

anyways, the kid should borrow his units organizational sword for his wedding...

GIrene
07-09-09, 09:32 AM
Thats what one of the Gunnys in my old command said to do. He said if you want one go for it... But anytime you need one, you'll get it issued and like everyone said, asking never hurts!

Pete0331
07-09-09, 10:17 PM
Thats what one of the Gunnys in my old command said to do. He said if you want one go for it... But anytime you need one, you'll get it issued and like everyone said, asking never hurts!

Not true.

Petz
07-09-09, 10:25 PM
asking hurts?

Pete0331
07-09-09, 10:28 PM
asking hurts?

No, that they need to be locked up in the Armory.

Petz
07-09-09, 10:30 PM
oh, yeah I know that.... even checked with my armory buddy.

William Hardy
07-10-09, 07:33 PM
Shine or no shine that is the question..spend the extra for a good one you don't have to shine and make sure sword is the right length. They practice with it. Sword drill is not all that easy.