PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

DBenz21
07-07-09, 03:00 PM
Obviously you will most like get blisters during boot, but I am curious about tips on how to avoid blisters on your feet, and tips on how to take care of them/ make them disappear quickly during boot or anywhere in the Corps.

Lisa 23
07-07-09, 03:30 PM
For me, I never got blisters in boot camp or out in the fleet.
I'm not even sure if there are any tips on how to "avoid" them. Some people get them and some people don't.
And as far as making them disappear quickly in boot camp, I don't think that will happen.

Phantom Blooper
07-07-09, 04:42 PM
Good socks

Good Boots that fit.

Dry Socks

Foot/Baby Powder/Moleskin

Keep toenails cut straight across with no hangnails or rough spots.

Your feet are your ride throughout your tour or career....humping,running walking.....Take care of them

Never had blisters in boot camp and had very few in the fleet.

Don't know how it is now....but in boot camp initial supply they asked me my foot size....the Pvt told them and they gave me a size bigger....the socks were heavy thick wool...so that helped not getting blisters.

When you hit the fleet and have to go to cash sales or whatever it is called now to buy your uniform items get good fitting boots in your proper size.

Also the same applies for running shoes for PT.

:evilgrin:

thewookie
07-07-09, 04:49 PM
For me, I never got blisters in boot camp or out in the fleet.
I'm not even sure if there are any tips on how to "avoid" them. Some people get them and some people don't.
And as far as making them disappear quickly in boot camp, I don't think that will happen.

Well, you're still sh*tting out 3rd phase chow, PFC, so what do you know?:marine:

Just sayin:usmc:

Old Marine
07-07-09, 04:59 PM
You will be issued cushioned sole socks for your boots. Wear them wrong side out and when you break in your boots, wear them into the shower.

SGT7477
07-07-09, 05:07 PM
Obviously you will most like get blisters during boot, but I am curious about tips on how to avoid blisters on your feet, and tips on how to take care of them/ make them disappear quickly during boot or anywhere in the Corps.
Sometimes there is no way around it, I got some from breaking in our dress shoes on the grinder.:evilgrin:

jennifer
07-07-09, 05:42 PM
I personally don't think there is a way to avoid it but there is however a way to avoid athlete's foot, which is what I got and it sucked ass!!! All the suggestions given from the others is what you can do to avoid getting athletes feet.

Petz
07-07-09, 06:08 PM
this may sound silly but walk around bare foot and get some good size callouses then just before (about a week) get a pedicure to have your nails clean and cut well (the worst time for your feet is the first month where you won't have lots of time to take care of those dogs) but make sure they don't take all the callous off, just smooth them out.

then you'll be practically impervious to blisters and you will have almost not problems with your feet.

oh and file your toe nails, don't clip them and you're more likely to get an ingrown toe-nail that way... after boot camp you can resume your normal clipping.

BR34
07-07-09, 06:31 PM
Well, you're still sh*tting out 3rd phase chow, PFC, so what do you know?:marine:

She's been out of the Marine Corps for like 50 years!

Petz
07-07-09, 06:34 PM
... now you opened a can of worms on your own BR... hahahaha

Lisa 23
07-07-09, 07:10 PM

She's been out of the Marine Corps for like 50 years!

If anyone bothered to look at my profile, they would see that I'm 44 years old and out of the Marine Corps 20 years.

Sergeant M
07-07-09, 07:46 PM
I personally don't think there is a way to avoid it but there is however a way to avoid athlete's foot, which is what I got and it sucked ass!!! All the suggestions given from the others is what you can do to avoid getting athletes feet.

I hear you still have the yuck foot, but that's just word on the street.

SlingerDun
07-07-09, 07:59 PM
When you get a chance someday; buy boots with a wide toe box or just a size wider than your normal fit using the Brannock device, feet blister easier when their tightly packaged and hot. Also select boots a skosh longer and fit them with a top quality firm insert i.e. Superfeet® Green. Trim it down (about 1/8 to 3/16 inch) so the insert slides fore and aft inside the boot instead of your foot sliding and heating up. More stability less abrasion fewer hot spots and blisters.
....before (about a week) get a pedicure to have your nails clean and cut well...aahheehehe, gay:)

--->Dave

BR34
07-07-09, 08:27 PM
If anyone bothered to look at my profile, they would see that I'm 44 years old and out of the Marine Corps 20 years.

Relax, I was just f*cking with ya, Grand Ole Lady of the Marine Corps.

GravityRain
07-07-09, 08:34 PM
Pre- boot camp strategy for blisters... it will work. Get you some combat boots, not ever broke in. Start running, working , hiking, and walking in them. Push out 10 - twenty miles at a fast pace. turn your feet to hamburger. Let heal. Repeat process. Callouses will develop where blisters formed. it will hurt like hell. better now than later. it will be unavoidable in boot otherwise. Atheletes foot remedy and prevention, **** on your feet. The ammonia and urea will kill fungus. i offer this as the voice of much experience. Callous up your feet by developing blisters. it will prepare you best as anything. Aside, very few have the determination and discipline to do this. i challenge you to condition yourself in this manner. Good luck and I hope you heed my admonishment. it will not fail you as others are *****ing and moaning all around you.

Lisa 23
07-07-09, 08:43 PM
Don't worry there young man, I'm relaxed! :thumbup:

thewookie
07-07-09, 08:53 PM
Yeah, me too.;)

Hologram
07-07-09, 08:53 PM
Get thickest socks you can find.

Try to score yourself some Danners. Don't know what it is about them, but when I got mine when I got to MOS school they didn't even need to be broken in.

Tie your boots tight (but not too tight)

Don't don't don't don't don't wear your nice boots from boot camp to MCT. Had a hole in my foot for the better part of that month because I took my jungle boots on the 5k.

Also, try to change your socks every night, or at least every other. Yes, recruits are disgusting little creatures, but they don't need to be wearing clothes that haven't been washed in weeks. Get a watch set up to do laundry every night.

Also, mark your trash. You don't want to be caught on the day of the IT brief getting IT'ed and have to change your cammies and then find out that your other set got swapped around for a small short when you're a medium long. Get it all marked during receiving (don't write on the fabric, use the plastic tags) and keep a good eye on it during Black Friday and you'll be good.

And don't come crying to me when you don't take my advice.

Lisa 23
07-07-09, 09:08 PM
thewookie and BR34 - all is good! :beer:

ecom
07-07-09, 09:33 PM
Our SDI suggested that we buy Thorlo socks at the recruit PX for one of the hikes. That did absolutely nothing for me and on top of that, when my feet got really sweaty, the socks got spongy. I did not like that feeling at all. On top of that, Thorlo socks are far thicker than normal socks so the boots will fit tighter which can be uncomfortable.

Your issue will include both boot socks and dress socks which are much thinner than the boot socks. What worked well for me was to wear the dress socks under the boot socks. I only did this during the hikes, and not at any other time. The two layers of fabric will slide against each other rather than your skin sliding against your socks thereby reducing friction, one of the causes of blisters, on your feet. This was also thinner than one pair of Thorlos so it didn't change the fit of my boots.

Petz
07-08-09, 01:47 AM
make sure you bring a change of those socks for when you stop to change socks... if you only got one pair of dress socks you'll feet will get soft and you'll have some serious foot issues....

great idea though!!

GravityRain
07-08-09, 02:03 AM
blisters is where it is at, get some. then get tough feet. sooner the better