PDA

View Full Version : Offers to help swamp Marine whose "dress blues" uniform was stolen

thedrifter
07-07-09, 08:59 AM
Offers to help swamp Marine whose "dress blues" uniform was stolen

By Camille C. Spencer, Times Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 7, 2009

HOLIDAY — A retired lieutenant colonel called to offer a job or money for a new set of "dress blues."

A widow whose husband served in the U.S. Marines during World War II wanted to pitch in.

And a recruiter for a health care company wanted to get Joseph Marshello a job.

In all, the outpouring of support for Marshello, 20, an unemployed U.S. Marine reservist whose uniform was stolen from his car last week, totaled about 30 phone calls and a dozen e-mails.

By Monday morning, Marshello, whose story was featured in the Times on Saturday, had the $400 he needed to replace his military uniform. Throughout the afternoon, his cell phone rang with more offers to help.

"I wasn't looking for or expecting this," he said. "I can't believe how many people have reached out to help me."

Early Wednesday, after driving back from a friend's wedding in north Florida, Marshello accidentally left his 1991 Honda Accord unlocked in his mother's driveway. Someone stole his military uniform, GPS system and other clothing from the trunk.

Marshello, a private first class radio operator who still awaits officer candidate school and his bachelor's degree before he can be stationed with the Marines, had been unable to find a job since May, when he moved to his parents home in Florida. He couldn't afford to replace the uniform.

For days, Marshello perused pawn shops and checked the side of the road for his uniform, which he'd earned during basic training last year.

By Saturday morning, the offers to help started pouring in.

Once during the weekend, Marshello returned home to find someone in his driveway with a check for $100.

Another time, a former Marine called Marshello's mother and told her that whatever the uniform costs, she would replace it.

"It's a very heartwarming response," said Darlene Marshello, Joseph's mother. "The way the economy is, it's unbelievable for people to come up with this kind of money."

Some, like Tom Castriota of Castriota Chevrolet in Hudson, had military connections and felt a bond with Marshello.

"I understand the plight of a young kid who aspires to do what he wants to do," said Castriota, who is a retired Marine lieutenant colonel. "I want to talk to him about a job, in the service department or detail."

The story also struck a chord with Cristine Kreplick, an account manager for Kforce, a health care company. Kreplick was once a medic serving with the Marines.

"I know how expensive the uniforms are for them," she said. "I felt for him. The other part was, I read he is looking for a job, and I'm a recruiter."

Kreplick plans to help Marshello fine-tune his resume today so she can send it out to recruiters.

Meanwhile, Marshello is reeling from the overwhelming responses.

"My mom and I can't believe it," he told the Times on Monday. "As soon as I get off the phone, I've got more people to call back."

Camille C. Spencer can be reached at cspencer@sptimes.com or (813) 909-4609.

[Last modified: Jul 06, 2009 10:14 PM]

Ellie