PDA

View Full Version : Joyner joins just before jets take off

thedrifter
07-07-09, 08:17 AM
AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq – In a perfect scenario, Marines would join a unit and train alongside their fellow Marines to fine-tune their job skills and learn more about the Marine Corps long before deploying to support the efforts in Iraq or Afghanistan. However, as combat operations move forward, one young Marine has been challenged to learn fast and trust in his training as he serves in Iraq after checking into his squadron merely three months before deploying.

Lance Cpl. David Joyner, an aviation technician with Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 4, checked into the “Seahawks” in early January. As he was greeted by various Marines in his command, he was also told he would be deploying with the squadron in March.

“I got the word I was deploying as I checked in,” said Joyner. “It was a crazy thing to hear that so quickly, but I thought to myself that the book is closing on Iraq and I want to get the chance to contribute; it’s what I joined for.”

Joyner said he chose the Marine Corps because of the respect he had witnessed toward veterans and felt he wanted to earn that kind of respect as well, but the decision to join the military was influenced by his father’s service.

“I remember at one point wanting to be just like my dad; he was a big influence,” explained Joyner. “He was in the Air Force.”

Fresh to the Fleet Marine Force and gearing up to deploy meant Joyner would have a lot of preparation to do in a short amount of time. Joyner had to begin learning more about the aircraft he works on while getting the feel for his role within his shop as a junior Marine.

“Just like all new Marines, he arrived to the shop with no experience,” said Sgt. Neil Knable, an aviation technician with VMAQ-4. “He was timid about everything at first, and with the time we had before our deployment, we knew training him up on the job was going to be important and fast.”

“It felt like a mad rush to get me ready on time,” said Joyner. “Before I knew it, I was working on aircraft in Iraq.”

Joyner has relied on the experience of other Marines to help him learn more about his job, as well as how to handle a deployment. Some of the Marines Joyner works alongside are on their third deployment to Iraq.

“I have come to realize that this deployment has taught me more about my job than I probably would have learned in the states,” explained Joyner. “Here, my job is to work on the aircraft and all outside distractions are eliminated. I am constantly learning.”

Joyner has ventured out beyond working as a communication, navigation and radar systems technician to participate in other deployment opportunities. He currently serves on the squadron’s quick reaction force and has volunteered free time to stand post at the base’s main entry control point alongside Marine infantrymen.

“The change in him from when we first got here to now is huge,” said Knable. “He understands his job better, has a good sense of initiative that we try to point in the right direction and he volunteers for everything!”

Joyner’s first ECP duty was on his 20th birthday, which he said was a unique way to spend it.

“I will never forget that birthday, and that was my idea when I joined - to experience things that I would truly never forget.”

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE ONGOING MISSION IN IRAQ’S AL ANBAR PROVINCE, VISIT WWW.IIMEFPUBLIC.USMC.MIL/IIMEFFWD.

For more information, or TO contact THE MULTI NATIONAL FOrCE - WEST PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE, E-MAIL CE_PAO_WATCH_OFFICER@CEMNF-WIRAQ.USMC.MIL