PDA

View Full Version : Going to Boot Camp with a friend?

SkMike
07-06-09, 06:08 PM
After hearing that I enlisted, a very close friend decided he wanted to DEP in as well. He spoke to my recruiter a few times and is in the process of finishing his waivers. He told the recruiter that he wanted to ship to Boot Camp the same time I am going. (20100111) Sgt. Bouno told him that this shouldn't be a problem.

My question to you Marines is, have you ever experienced this?

Most recruits probably dont know anyone while getting thrown into Boot Camp, what im wondering is... Will the DI's single us out since were buddies? Some might think of this as a little bit of advantage, some may not.

Thanks for your time, and input!

Sergeant M
07-06-09, 06:38 PM
You can go through boot camp using the "buddy program", and I kind of doubt that the DIs will **** with you for that. They usually assign buddies to the people that hate each other. If you guys beat the **** out of each other on the first night you're there, then maybe you can hang out and the DIs will think it's their idea. It will be alot easier if you have a friend going in there, but you'll bond with everyone in your platoon by the time you leave as long as you're not a ****bag.

psyclopsus
07-06-09, 07:13 PM
Myself and my 2 best friends all went in on the buddy program. We are from an oddly named small town in Ohio, and the Drill Instructors never seemed to notice or care. I thought it was a dead giveaway when we all yelled out the same weird town name during the Series Commander Inspection, but nothing was said about it.

killbodies3027
07-06-09, 08:38 PM
Yeah you can join together via the Buddy Program.

No the Drill Instructors won't know who you can to boot camp with. They don't care either.

SkMike
07-06-09, 08:46 PM
Alright, well that answers my question.

Thank you all for your help.

Lisa 23
07-06-09, 08:53 PM
SkMike, read this story about 2 buddies who joined and will be going to Parris Island together. I think you will enjoy it. It's in the "Marine Mentor" forum.
Bound to become Marines
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=511931#post511931

Pete0331
07-06-09, 09:52 PM
I did the buddy program as well.

There was a group of five Navajo in my platoon who did the same.
They were all decedents of Code Talkers.
Good guys.
Could run like the wind.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 06:18 PM
I did the buddy program as well.

There was a group of five Navajo in my platoon who did the same.
They were all decedents of Code Talkers.
Good guys.
Could run like the wind.

Could they paint with all the colors of the wind?