PDA

View Full Version : General Questions and advice

Saer
07-06-09, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I am new here and have been searching for some information in my choices in the military.

First and foremost I am not 100% sure on my career choice.

I am 24, completely out of shape but not obese. I have been considering the Marines or even the SEALS for about two years, however I am having trouble finding real information. I have not been to a recruiter yet because every time I tried to contact one they were not available. After August I will be making my final decision.

I understand a lot of the hardships with boot from reading many posts from this community and others.

Onto my actual questions:
What are the current primary duties of a Marine? As well as a SEAL?

Which will push me further beyond my limits in not only physical/mental abilities but also in real world situations?

Will I be able to serve until retirement in either branches? I am assuming yes on this one but to be honest, I can't find alot of information on it.

Being that I am not in shape and a little overweight, Will this hinder me in my serving our country? If so please elaborate.

I understand some of this information may be found with a lot more effort but I do better actually talking to people than reading random articles. I am very serious about this decision, as naive as I may sound.

Thank you very much for your time, I will be around later tonight to go into more detail if more is needed. As well as a few more detailed questions which have to wait for later due to a shortage of time right this second. I will be visiting the military booths tonight at the Butler Fair in Pennsylvania.

Lisa 23
07-06-09, 04:05 PM
No profile, no answers. And read the rules in the Poolee forum and read the rules in the Ask A Marine forum.

killbodies3027
07-06-09, 06:45 PM

Two totally different beasts my friend. Comparing a SEAL to a regular Marine doesn't make much sense. Comparing a SEAL to a Recon and/or Scout Sniper Marine is much more like it.

Navy SEALs are nothing more than a special forces unit of the Navy. Much akin to the aforementioned Recon/Scout Sniper Marines, Army Rangers, etc.

Which will push me further beyond my limits in not only physical/mental abilities but also in real world situations?

Refer to above. If you just want to be a Marine Corps grunt, then then likelihood of seeing combat is pretty good. But as a SEAL, it's almost guaranteed.

I trained with some Recon Marines in Hawaii, and let me tell you, their daily routines are insane, although I must admit I'm not too familiar with initial testing and school.

If you go to youtube and search "Navy SEALs" there will be a 5 to 6 part video that shoes you each part of BUD/S, which is the school you must complete to become a Navy Seal.

Will I be able to serve until retirement in either branches? I am assuming yes on this one but to be honest, I can't find alot of information on it.

I'm sure you could if you wanted, but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. The daily grind of those special forces is sure to wreak havoc on your body.

Being that I am not in shape and a little overweight, Will this hinder me in my serving our country? If so please elaborate.

Technically, yes, it will hinder you, which is why you need to get off of your ass and get into shape.

I understand some of this information may be found with a lot more effort but I do better actually talking to people than reading random articles. I am very serious about this decision, as naive as I may sound.

Surprisingly enough, Wikipedia has some very indepth information on a ton of military schools. Aside from that, I highly doubt many people here are too familiar with the intricacies of the SEALs or other special forces units.

Thank you very much for your time, I will be around later tonight to go into more detail if more is needed. As well as a few more detailed questions which have to wait for later due to a shortage of time right this second. I will be visiting the military booths tonight at the Butler Fair in Pennsylvania.

The more clear and concise your question, the better.

Petz
07-06-09, 09:52 PM
if you've been thinking about it for two years then why haven't lost weight or got in shape? also, talking to a recruiter would answer all of your questions.

Sergeant M
07-06-09, 11:43 PM
You can't enlist into the SEALS, you need to join the Navy and try-out for their special forces after you get done with your primary school. I think you might want to find a little self-discipline before you decide to join the military. Of course boot camp will completely change you and give you self-discipline but if you don't get off your ass now, then you're not going to do well at basic training, and you're definitely not going to make it as a SEAL seeing as how you're not going to be pushed to PT once you hit the Navy fleet.

josephd
07-07-09, 02:53 AM
In my opinion if you are out of shape right now then the best choice for you would be the Marine Corps. You need to be in some sort of decent shape to join initially but the PT you will be doing at boot camp will put you in much better shape than if you were to join the Navy. You would need to be extremely motivated and self disciplined in order to become a SEAL.

At this point though I would suggest getting off your behind and start working out/running or go to some poolee functions to get in shape so you are in a better spot when you ship out.

marine95
07-07-09, 05:19 AM
Hello,

I am new here and have been searching for some information in my choices in the military.

First and foremost I am not 100% sure on my career choice.

I am 24, completely out of shape but not obese. I have been considering the Marines or even the SEALS for about two years, however I am having trouble finding real information. I have not been to a recruiter yet because every time I tried to contact one they were not available. After August I will be making my final decision.

I understand a lot of the hardships with boot from reading many posts from this community and others.

Don't put the cart before the horse my friend. Bottom line is that if you can not do 30 overhand dead hang pull-ups, then get the thought right out of your head. How about trying to be a service member first. If you can earn any title of service, then weigh out your options on what you want to try for. 2 Years is a long time to procrastinate for getting ready for any service. Don't be discouraged but it's time to do something about it though.

Saer
07-07-09, 11:15 AM
The more clear and concise your question, the better.

Thank you very much for the information and being to the point. I will definitely read through the Wikipedia articles today.

You can't enlist into the SEALS, you need to join the Navy and try-out for their special forces after you get done with your primary school.

I was not aware of this, I was told by someone in the guard that it was a choice upon enlisting. I tend to get alot of false information from talking to people which is why I am here.

At this point though I would suggest getting off your behind and start working out/running or go to some poolee functions to get in shape so you are in a better spot when you ship out.

I have started preparing myself last month, I run/jog 2 miles every other morning. Yes I know that may not be a lot but I plan to increase it constantly. My grandfather was a body builder so I am now using his equipment for proper workouts.

Don't put the cart before the horse my friend. Bottom line is that if you can not do 30 overhand dead hang pull-ups, then get the thought right out of your head. How about trying to be a service member first. If you can earn any title of service, then weigh out your options on what you want to try for. 2 Years is a long time to procrastinate for getting ready for any service. Don't be discouraged but it's time to do something about it though.

While I am aware I need to be "snapped" into the reality of it yes. However the procrastination was not by choice, I do not feel comfortable going into it at this time as I feel it is inappropriate to this discussion.

Thank you all for your replies.

While I missed the Military displays at the fair due to awful traffic lastnight, I am going back yet again to hopefully get a chance in talking with them.
Going to read more as killbodies3027 suggested before I head out today.

Petz
07-07-09, 11:27 AM
I have heard you can enlist with the option to go seals in the navy... you need some serious pre-reqs you need to meet, but you should talk to a recruiter and get the news from the guys who get paid to know that info...

Sergeant M
07-07-09, 05:38 PM
I would at least call a Navy recruiter to make sure one way or another.

Petz
07-07-09, 06:01 PM
I'd call the recruiter to be getting ALL this info... they tend to help you make your decisions pertaining to the military.

tell them you are shopping around between the navy and Marine Corps... either way you say you will be joining one or the other... let them know that you want to know what they have to offer you... you'll need to take the ASVAB and either way you DON'T have to DEP in to get it done... so once you have the ASVAB done you find out what jobs you can do then you pick your branch of service...

it's up to you who you want to go the ASVAB through... if you will only join the Navy for the seals then I'd suggest you make them do the leg work to get you up to meps to take the test... 'cause a MC recruiter may not like the idea of sending you to meps and you not possibly joining...

keep that in mind.

Saer
07-09-09, 12:35 PM
So I went to the recruiter, asked him everything I could think of. Took a practice ASVAB scored a 55. Before I knew it I was signing paperwork to take the real ASVAB and get my physical.

Wow this is going fast.

My mother is a wreck (as I expected) I'm nervous as hell, I spoke to my recruiters Gunnery Sergeant (asuming that considering he called him Gunny). Very nice guy sold me on the Marines, Little did I know I aparently gave him the impression I want to go NOW.

I wake up to a phone call asking me if im ready to go because the Gunnery Sergeant projected me today.

I told the recruiter I was going to wait till Monday, Not knowing that after doing this I would be swearing in. I thought there was more to it! I didn't even discuss careers.

My Family is not all that supportive of this, I have a cousin who's a Marine officer but he's hard to contact - While writing this I finally got a hold of him but he wasn't too sure how to answer my questions, but did tell me the harder side that the recruiter didn't touch.

Now, when I swear in after my ASVAB and Physical. Am I locked into the Marines? Or am I only sending in my application for a contract to sign at a later date?
I want to do this, without a doubt. However the timing and speed of which this is going is too fast. As i've stated I still didn't even go over the jobs with him yet, which I really want to do before I go any further.

I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. There are still things I absolutely have to take care of before I can leave, but they take time.

Petz
07-09-09, 12:51 PM
I'll PM you some info later.. I gotta go do some errands.

PM me so I don't forget.

NoRemorse
07-09-09, 12:56 PM
You'll be swearing into the DEP under an open contract. At that point you can still hand them a letter in writing stating that you wish to be removed from the DEP.

After swearing in you'll talk business with the recruiter, talk careers, talk paperwork, be interviewed by higher ups (like the RS GySgt or MSgt) fill out some more paperwork, and once cleared; receive a ship date.

killbodies3027
07-09-09, 01:51 PM
Yeah getting in the first time is pretty easy. Trying to reenlist is a pain in the ass.

Sergeant M
07-09-09, 05:46 PM
Just calm down and take a breath. From what I'm reading on all these other threads, the average time in the DEP program is about a year. That means if you want to go to bootcamp within the next year, it's a good idea to get on the waiting list now. All they're going to do at MEPS is make sure that you're qualified and make sure that you really want to be in the military. If you have any questions you can PM me as well.

GyC
07-12-09, 01:00 PM
So I went to the recruiter, asked him everything I could think of. Took a practice ASVAB scored a 55. Before I knew it I was signing paperwork to take the real ASVAB and get my physical.

Wow this is going fast.

My mother is a wreck (as I expected) I'm nervous as hell, I spoke to my recruiters Gunnery Sergeant (asuming that considering he called him Gunny). Very nice guy sold me on the Marines, Little did I know I aparently gave him the impression I want to go NOW.

I wake up to a phone call asking me if im ready to go because the Gunnery Sergeant projected me today.

I told the recruiter I was going to wait till Monday, Not knowing that after doing this I would be swearing in. I thought there was more to it! I didn't even discuss careers.

My Family is not all that supportive of this, I have a cousin who's a Marine officer but he's hard to contact - While writing this I finally got a hold of him but he wasn't too sure how to answer my questions, but did tell me the harder side that the recruiter didn't touch.

Now, when I swear in after my ASVAB and Physical. Am I locked into the Marines? Or am I only sending in my application for a contract to sign at a later date?
I want to do this, without a doubt. However the timing and speed of which this is going is too fast. As i've stated I still didn't even go over the jobs with him yet, which I really want to do before I go any further.

I feel I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. There are still things I absolutely have to take care of before I can leave, but they take time.

If you told them you wanted to be a Marine, they are acting on your response to a question... I agree with an earlier response, step back, take a breath, and put things into perspective... You have wanted to do this for 2 years, now you're actually doing it... This is an agreement between people, which means if you want to leave 5 months from now, just tell them... You'll talk about it... Once you are found qualified at the MEPS, you will enter Delayed Entry, which if ran as it should, will assist you in preparation for Boot Camp... Also, you will sit down with the Gunny and discuss Programs (Jobs) that you are qualified for and that are available for the period you are leaving in... The Marine Corps guarantees, on a limited basis, Recon... Talk to Gunny about it...

MD8724
07-15-09, 09:58 AM
Until you sign the final contract and leave from MEPS to PI or SD, you can walk away. No matter what they tell you, you can walk away. They will tell you plenty of bull****, but it's exactly that, bull****. Anyways. Yeah, Think about it long and hard. If you enlist and it turns out to not be what you want for a career, you'll be 30 years old, just looking to start out all over agian.

GyC
07-15-09, 10:17 AM
Until you sign the final contract and leave from MEPS to PI or SD, you can walk away. No matter what they tell you, you can walk away. They will tell you plenty of bull****, but it's exactly that, bull****. Anyways. Yeah, Think about it long and hard. If you enlist and it turns out to not be what you want for a career, you'll be 30 years old, just looking to start out all over agian.

I always enjoy when I get to see some disgruntled individual spewing their "no-nonsense" advice on matters of committment... The dude that started this thread was looking for some positive advice/ feedback, and then some numb-nuts Cpl with 3 years in (assumption) gets on and goes negative because his 1st Sgt just chewed him out, or he probably just didn't get down with the program... When you join the Corps, it's a committment, period... What you say is certainly true, however for the individual that started this thread, as I said earlier, you have choice in the entire process... If you are not committed to the idea of spending 4-5 years as a Marine, working sometimes long hours to accomplish the mission, deploying, etc., then don't do it... The Marine Corps is not a Career Force, unbeknownst to many that join, or are interested... The Marine Corps demographically is the youngest branch of service, which means that many Marines choose not to make it a career, and step off to bigger and better things... Approach the Marine Corps as if it was a 4 year job that was going to benefit you in many different ways, and if you truly enjoy it, then reenlist... Specifically for you MD whoever, if I could find out who you were, where you were at, then I would do whatever I could to tear those Cpl chevrons off those sleeves of yours... Your Rank holds the privelege of being the backbone of the Corps, the Non-Commissioned Officers that GET IT DONE... You are the first step of small unit Leadership, and here you are spewing some negative garbage to a kid that wants that responsibility perhaps, to lead... You should be ashamed, but you're probably not, you'll go about your business being some butt-nugget NCO who's no better than the PFC that checked in yesterday... Freakin turd... Gy Out

Crusader20
07-15-09, 11:57 AM
I have heard you can enlist with the option to go seals in the navy... you need some serious pre-reqs you need to meet, but you should talk to a recruiter and get the news from the guys who get paid to know that info...

That is correct. Now, the Navy will allow you to join the Seal program. You will even be dropped into a Boot camp with other Seal attemptees. :p

Then you will head off to Pre Seal training, RIP for the Army rangers.

But, yes. You can sign up for just Seals now. My Dad's, wifes, son,:confused:, Just joined the Navy and is now at BUDS in Flordia. He has completed Seal and Dive school so far, and then will be headed to jump school, next. Then he will be dropped to the unit. All in all, about a year and half of schools first, before getting to his unit.

Petz
07-15-09, 01:57 PM
I always enjoy when I get to see some disgruntled individual spewing their "no-nonsense" advice on matters of committment... The dude that started this thread was looking for some positive advice/ feedback, and then some numb-nuts Cpl with 3 years in (assumption) gets on and goes negative because his 1st Sgt just chewed him out, or he probably just didn't get down with the program... When you join the Corps, it's a committment, period... What you say is certainly true, however for the individual that started this thread, as I said earlier, you have choice in the entire process... If you are not committed to the idea of spending 4-5 years as a Marine, working sometimes long hours to accomplish the mission, deploying, etc., then don't do it... The Marine Corps is not a Career Force, unbeknownst to many that join, or are interested... The Marine Corps demographically is the youngest branch of service, which means that many Marines choose not to make it a career, and step off to bigger and better things... Approach the Marine Corps as if it was a 4 year job that was going to benefit you in many different ways, and if you truly enjoy it, then reenlist... Specifically for you MD whoever, if I could find out who you were, where you were at, then I would do whatever I could to tear those Cpl chevrons off those sleeves of yours... Your Rank holds the privelege of being the backbone of the Corps, the Non-Commissioned Officers that GET IT DONE... You are the first step of small unit Leadership, and here you are spewing some negative garbage to a kid that wants that responsibility perhaps, to lead... You should be ashamed, but you're probably not, you'll go about your business being some butt-nugget NCO who's no better than the PFC that checked in yesterday... Freakin turd... Gy Out

damn gunny... maybe we can take this to PM when outside the hooch... SF:iwo:

GyC
07-15-09, 02:51 PM
damn gunny... maybe we can take this to PM when outside the hooch... SF:iwo:

To those NCO's, fellow SNCO's, and Marines that keep it positive in the forums where it should be, and for my slight outburst... I don't know how many Recruiting side Marines are on here, but I have Poolees on here that turned me on to this site... There's no quarter for any Marine that is going to say a Recruiter (fellow Marine) is spewing bull****... If you have issue with something that the Marine Corps did or is doing then take it up with your chain of command/communication... Most Recruiters work pretty hard to accompish the mission, and that's what it is, a mission... Apologize again for hijacking the thread...

Petz
07-15-09, 02:55 PM
I agree Gunny, Marines should not be blasting recruiters... the recruiters said what they are instructed to say and the people only hear what they want, ignoring the OTHER information that they later complain about.

if you sign the contract the only person to blame is yourself, the recruiters only give you the key to enter the Marine Corps.

MD8724
07-16-09, 03:25 AM

Okay, jesus ****ing chirst. The guy was worried about being rushed in and now not being able to walk away. I was saying that yes, he can still walk away after he signs the DEP contract. If he trys, they will tell him bull**** such as he'll be sent to prison and fined and all this crap. And it is just that, bull****. Nothing will happen other than them harrassing him. Im not saying anything bad about recruiters. It's their job to do such. But the fact is, until he signs the final contract just before he departs for training, he can walk away. Now why oh why would I tell him this ? It must be that I hate the Corps and my 1st Sgt yelled at me, right ? Or, possibly, it could be that he said things were going really fast and he was worried about it. Oh my! Who would have ****ing thought that.

As for the career comment I made, agian, he said things were going fast and just like everyone else told him to slow down, so did I. Regardless of opportunites it opens, 30 is still and old age to be starting out all over agian in life.

I don't hate the Corps, and my 1st Sgt didn't say ****. The man asked for answers and he got them. if you took these the wrong way, then maybe you should have read into them a bit more.

-3 year Cpl who isn't ****ing retarded, Out.

GyC
07-16-09, 08:13 AM
Okay, jesus ****ing chirst. The guy was worried about being rushed in and now not being able to walk away. I was saying that yes, he can still walk away after he signs the DEP contract. If he trys, they will tell him bull**** such as he'll be sent to prison and fined and all this crap. And it is just that, bull****. Nothing will happen other than them harrassing him. Im not saying anything bad about recruiters. It's their job to do such. But the fact is, until he signs the final contract just before he departs for training, he can walk away. Now why oh why would I tell him this ? It must be that I hate the Corps and my 1st Sgt yelled at me, right ? Or, possibly, it could be that he said things were going really fast and he was worried about it. Oh my! Who would have ****ing thought that.

As for the career comment I made, agian, he said things were going fast and just like everyone else told him to slow down, so did I. Regardless of opportunites it opens, 30 is still and old age to be starting out all over agian in life.

I don't hate the Corps, and my 1st Sgt didn't say ****. The man asked for answers and he got them. if you took these the wrong way, then maybe you should have read into them a bit more.

-3 year Cpl who isn't ****ing retarded, Out.

Cease fire, unload, and show clear... PM'ed you...

MD8724
07-16-09, 09:32 AM
I apologize for my little outburst as well. ;) Maybe I shouldn't have used to word bull****. Regardless, my post original post still stands. If you think it's going to fast, then tell them to slow it down. Nothing is final until you sign the last contract at MEPS just before you ship out, no matter what anyone else says.

As for the commitment comment, well, if anyone thinks 4-5 years isn't a long time to commit to something you aren't sure about, they need to think agian. You inquired about the Seals and the Marines, so it seems to me you may have somewhat of the wrong picture about the Military. Stop watching Jarhead, get the facts, think it out, then do whatever you decide from there.