PDA

View Full Version : Marine happy to be home with wife, childBy Erin McKeon

thedrifter
07-06-09, 08:48 AM
Marine happy to be home with wife, childBy Erin McKeon
The Facts

Published July 6, 2009
WILD PEACH — If anyone were to ask Marine Cpl. Keith Faulkner why he joined the Marines, he’d have a simple answer: “Why not?”

“I had two years of college under my belt and figured if I didn’t have a major at the end of two years, it was time to do something else, so I joined the Marines,” he said. “It was always the Marines for me, there was never another choice.”

After serving two tours in Iraq, the 24-year-old is looking forward to spending some time with his wife, Elise, and 6-month-old son, Korbyn, until he returns to his base in Cherry Point, N.C.

Keith Faulkner came back to Texas on Thursday and will leave again for North Carolina on July 25, Elise Faulkner said.

To welcome him home, members of the Brazoria County Cavalry showed up in force with fire trucks blasting horns.

“I thought there was a fire somewhere, but I was amazed they would all come out here just for me,” Faulkner said.

When he finishes his five-year enlistment next April, Keith Faulkner said he plans to return to Brazoria County, find a job and take advantage of the GI Bill and go back to college.

“I want to improve myself as much as I can,” he said.

Elise Faulkner said she’s enjoyed having her high school sweetheart home, and wanted to show him how much she and people he didn’t even know cared, she said.

“I know he’s kind of shy — though he didn’t show it much today — but I wanted to expose him to people who appreciate him so he could see that people in the community do appreciate him for what he’s doing,” Elise Faulkner said.

“He needed to see this,” she said.

Keith Faulkner’s mother, Janet, said she’s proud of her son, as she is of all her children, and couldn’t think more of his good character, intelligence and choices he’s made.

“He’s going to be something,” she said. “He’s going to be a big somebody in this area.”

Erin McKeon is a reporter for The Facts. Contact her at (979) 237-0152.

Ellie