PDA

View Full Version : lima co 3/4 3rd mar div 1971-1972 Raiders

JohnsonKH
07-06-09, 06:17 AM
R.L.Johnson where are you? :flag:

Lonesome Star
02-27-11, 02:14 AM
Howdy, Marine, R.L. Johnson. My name is H.B. Lara. To make it short, I trained in the Northern Area in Okinawa. I did the mock attack from the submarine U.S.S. Greyback. It was hard training, but very special times!

chadhertz
02-27-11, 03:30 AM
I'm with 3/4 lima right now it's awesome to see Marines from the past posting on here, were about to head to afghanistan in a month..

1stSgtMell
02-27-11, 10:56 AM
I was the Company Gunny of Lima 3-4 during the TET offensive of 1968. We set up Fire Bases all along Route 9 from Dong Ha to Khe Sanh and had patrols out at all times up to and including Company size. We were attached to 1-9 "The Walking Dead" the majority of the time. We lost 330 KIA's in 3-4 alone during this time. Terrible losses of a lot of great Marines that never got to see the things we still enjoy today.
Semper Fi,
Jerry Mell

HST
02-27-11, 12:30 PM
You and I must have traveled a few trails together. I was with 3/4 when we were BLT 3/4. We were TAD to a lot of different grunt outfits but I stayed mostly with 3/4. because they didn't screw attached units like some of the others did.

I was the Mike 1/4 for a time after we lost a lot of men on Hickory.

Tracy and I rotated in Ocy 67, so we missed the TET.

I hung around with Tracey and Murphy from Lima. I've got some good pic's of christmass 66 after we came in from Prarie

You're right about those that didn't make it that were the best of the best.

Semper Fi

Tony Simpson

1stSgtMell
02-27-11, 06:27 PM
Tony and all other 3-4 guys that may be interested in attending our reunion to be held in Branson, Mo this fall. Go to the website 3-4.org and all the information you need to know about locating buddies from your past is located there.

Glass
11-22-11, 07:33 PM
Howdy, Marine, R.L. Johnson. My name is H.B. Lara. To make it short, I trained in the Northern Area in Okinawa. I did the mock attack from the submarine U.S.S. Greyback. It was hard training, but very special times!
Well this was Lcpl Glass when we were on Uss Grayback.. we were in k3/4. think i was in 2nd plt! wow have been wanting to find us all on it. pls contact me...:evilgrin:

jherald
11-22-11, 07:59 PM
Trying to find any Marines who served with PFC Robert Ramsey who died in action Feb. 11, 1969 in Quang Nam. His local grave is "unmarked" in Stuttgart, Arkansas. Discovered on Veteran's Day weekend. Community members working to gather hero info for Black History Month activity for students in February. Fundraising has begun for custom gravestone, and trying to contact family to also add military marker. Possibly ceremony on his death date in February. jheraldfb@gmail.com

sgt tony
11-23-11, 12:55 AM
I was with Mike 3/4 and was one of the last members of Mike company this was in 1976 when the did away with Mike Company me a a guy Cpl Knight was the last of the unit. Sure miss them days

advanced
11-23-11, 03:10 AM
Trying to find any Marines who served with PFC Robert Ramsey who died in action Feb. 11, 1969 in Quang Nam. His local grave is "unmarked" in Stuttgart, Arkansas. Discovered on Veteran's Day weekend. Community members working to gather hero info for Black History Month activity for students in February. Fundraising has begun for custom gravestone, and trying to contact family to also add military marker. Possibly ceremony on his death date in February. jheraldfb@gmail.com

Check with Mongoose on this site, not sure what co he was with but he was with the 3/26 during that period.

Mongoose
11-23-11, 10:38 AM
I was with the 3/26 at that time frame. We had just finished Bold Mariner/ Russel Beach operations. If he was KIA on Feb. 11, he was killed during Operation Taylor Common/ Defiant Measure, which started on Feb. 10. However, since you have Battery in his heading, I think he was with the 1/13, assigned to the 3/26. Since he was assigned a Company, he was more than likely in a mortar battery. Which would have been either Charlie or Whiskey Battery, 1st. Bn./ 13th. Marines, assigned to the 3/26.

jherald
11-23-11, 10:58 AM
Thank you :)

jherald
11-23-11, 11:17 AM
Your comments are fitting into a small bit of info I have. His obituary stated his was killed by fragmentation injuries when he stepped onto a mine while loading (back onto a amphibious vehicle after the operation you have named?) I saw the 1, 3 and 26 on patches posted online, but don't recall the 13. His captain was Larry C. Tasby who seems to still be living in Concord, Calif. But I have not gotten a response from him yet. I want to be able to find/write a narrative. If part of this Operation Taylor, I hope to have more of a story to tell about how he served. He was a rifleman coming out of boot camp in San Diego in 1968. Thank you again.

Mongoose
11-23-11, 12:08 PM
Your comments are fitting into a small bit of info I have. His obituary stated his was killed by fragmentation injuries when he stepped onto a mine while loading (back onto a amphibious vehicle after the operation you have named?) I saw the 1, 3 and 26 on patches posted online, but don't recall the 13. His captain was Larry C. Tasby who seems to still be living in Concord, Calif. But I have not gotten a response from him yet. I want to be able to find/write a narrative. If part of this Operation Taylor, I hope to have more of a story to tell about how he served. He was a rifleman coming out of boot camp in San Diego in 1968. Thank you again.
Captain Larry Tasby is a member here on LN. He was a platoon Commander, in Mike Co. 3/26. You can look him up, if you haven't already.

Mongoose
11-23-11, 12:17 PM
Go to google. Put in Larry Tasby, usmc,viet nam 1969. It will show a memorial he made for pfc Ramsey, on together we served.

Kegler300
11-23-11, 03:28 PM
I was late to the fight...Lima 3/4 77-78. Good luck in your search.

Glass
12-03-11, 12:59 PM
Well this was Lcpl Glass when we were on Uss Grayback.. we were in k3/4. think i was in 2nd plt! wow have been wanting to find us all on it. pls contact me...:evilgrin:
Still wish contact from you pls. have picture while on sub. was awsome being on there. remember when we were headed to Hong Kong for RR i did night help at food area then arrived there was told i had no duty. well hope get reply Thanks

fl1946
12-03-11, 11:37 PM
I was the Marine combat cameraman with Lima, 3/4 and Lt. George Sullivan on Sparrow Hawk in Gio Linh, Quang Tri. We got hit pretty bad and Kilo, 3/4 saved our butts. Film segment on History Channel online, "Film Corp." Heavy casualties.

Glass
12-06-11, 02:38 PM
I was the Marine combat cameraman with Lima, 3/4 and Lt. George Sullivan on Sparrow Hawk in Gio Linh, Quang Tri. We got hit pretty bad and Kilo, 3/4 saved our butts. Film segment on History Channel online, "Film Corp." Heavy casualties.
Wow thanks, When we were training to be raiders they really worked us out. really like reading all this. when company office stuff arrived we unloaded trucks and everything was mess blood everywhere.

silverdollar
12-07-11, 05:16 AM
Wpns co and Shore Party 3/4 1st Marine Brigade 1955,56.

Glass
12-08-11, 06:05 PM
Wpns co and Shore Party 3/4 1st Marine Brigade 1955,56.
Well this is great. like getting more mails. do you have pictures! what was weapon did you use? :evilgrin:

silverdollar
12-09-11, 06:42 AM
Well this is great. like getting more mails. do you have pictures! what was weapon did you use? :evilgrin:

Used the M1 and 45 pistol, 3.5 rocket launcher, C3 and TNT explosives,
heavy machine gun(water cooled 30 cal.) and proably some that I can`t remember.

almost forget the M1 and M2 carbine.

jmerriman
06-04-13, 11:45 AM
Hi Guys, My name is Jim, same situation as you. Was our Lieutenant's name Lt. MaDonald or McDoll ???? Something like that. This was sometime in 1971, right. Hope I can find this site again to see if I get a response.

Ldyjarhead
11-17-18, 05:21 AM
Anyone remember Leo Lombardo from the Grayback in '72? Was a grunt, but pegged as field radio operator also, so he would have probably been humping the radio. :)

Ldyjarhead
11-17-18, 05:47 AM
I know he was on the Grayback for Operation Thunderbird, but having trouble finding out if that was 4th Marines or 9th Marines. Not much info about it out there since it was classified until recently.

Ldyjarhead
11-17-18, 05:56 AM
I know he was on the Grayback for Operation Thunderhead, but having trouble finding out if that was 4th Marines or 9th Marines. Not much info about it out there since it was classified until recently.

keeton843
11-20-19, 01:27 PM
looking for info on E5/E6 Albert Keeton