PDA

View Full Version : Marine issued boots???

Eldridge0311
07-05-09, 08:23 PM
Are the Marine issued boots steel toed?

Pete0331
07-05-09, 08:27 PM
Are the Marine issued boots steel toed?

If you work in an MOS that requires it.
Usually those that deal with mechanics.
Not issued in Boot Camp.

Eldridge0311
07-05-09, 08:31 PM
So like an 03xx spot would they require them?

Alisium
07-05-09, 08:36 PM
No.

They're more for Motor T, Air Craft Mech, Radar Technicians and the like.

Eldridge0311
07-05-09, 08:37 PM
Thank you.

Pete0331
07-05-09, 08:44 PM
So like an 03xx spot would they require them?

You will have the option to buy them with your own money if you so choose.

They are not something you want as an 03XX.
Steel toe boots are not designed for extended movement, they are designed for protection.

SlingerDun
07-05-09, 11:42 PM
Yeah and you can't two step in them clodhoppers worth a shlthttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif I don't even wear them shoeing horses cause they slow me down:cool:

Hologram
07-07-09, 08:59 PM
If you're working with electricity they may have you trade in your boot camp boots for steel toed. I know the GCAMS guys get issued brand new steel toes.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 03:23 AM
If you're working with electricity they may have you trade in your boot camp boots for steel toed. I know the GCAMS guys get issued brand new steel toes.

Why would you want a steel plate strapped to you if you work with electricity?

Supersquishy
07-08-09, 08:19 AM
Flightline Mechs, and Aircrew get issued steel toed boots, super uncomfortable even when broken in after a month. The steel toe rubbing the tops of the toes hurt after a while.

Hologram
07-08-09, 08:31 PM
Apparently it grounds them. That's what the GCAMS students told me anyway.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 08:34 PM

I don't think you want to be the ground in case of an electrical surge.

ecom
07-08-09, 08:38 PM

Depending on the environment there are can be other hazards besides electricity. Just because boots are steel toe does not mean they are unfit for use around electricity. There are steel toe boots that provide protection against electrical shock. There are also boots that protect against ESD (in which case it's protection for static sensitive equipment not the wearer).

Additionally, there are safety boots with composite or plastic toes but these might only survive one impact; meaning that replacement is necessary after one impact.

ecom
07-08-09, 08:42 PM

What do GCAMS do? If they work around ESD sensitive equipment then they want to be grounded so they don't damage their gear. But this usually involves some type of ground strap (usually worn on the wrist).

If they work on things like power lines or high voltage radio/RADAR equipment, then they don't want to be grounded. They should be isolated from ground to prevent current from traveling through them to ground because it could potentially kill them.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 08:46 PM
I would prefer Composite since it's lighter anyways.

ecom
07-08-09, 08:53 PM
I don't know if there are composite toe MCCBs, but I haven't looked for them.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 08:57 PM
I know the Air Force has em, but what doesn't the chair force have?

ecom
07-08-09, 09:13 PM
Are their boot requirements less stringent compared to MCCB requirements? Where MCCBs mostly look alike, there is a much larger variety of Air Force boots.

I don't see how else they could wear these:

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/images/products/87146-L.JPG

Petz
07-08-09, 09:20 PM

I think it's specialty soled boots... not so much steel toe... but I'm sure some/all are....

Hologram
07-08-09, 09:54 PM
What do GCAMS do? If they work around ESD sensitive equipment then they want to be grounded so they don't damage their gear. But this usually involves some type of ground strap (usually worn on the wrist).

If they work on things like power lines or high voltage radio/RADAR equipment, then they don't want to be grounded. They should be isolated from ground to prevent current from traveling through them to ground because it could potentially kill them.
I'm pretty sure they're calibrators for aircraft or something along those lines.

Hologram
07-08-09, 09:55 PM
Are their boot requirements less stringent compared to MCCB requirements? Where MCCBs mostly look alike, there is a much larger variety of Air Force boots.

I don't see how else they could wear these:

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/images/products/87146-L.JPG
Yeah, I'm around airmen just about 24/7 these days, and those boots are absolutely terrible. I almost feel sorry for them.

Alisium
07-09-09, 01:11 AM

Your soles, not the steel toes will ground them.

If you're working with electricity, chances are you're working with heavy electronics equipment that can be dropped and give you a bad boo-boo.

Cpl's don't kiss boo-boos so dont' get any.

ecom
07-09-09, 01:58 AM
Boots will not ground - they insulate. When working with high currents and voltages, you want to be insulated from earth. Electricity moves from high potential to low potential. Earth or ground is lower potential than anything you are working on. Current will take the path of least resistance, thus you want to be insulated so that you are not the path of least resistance.

If the electrical current passes through you to earth, it can lead to injury or death. Insulating yourself from ground using electrical hazard rated safety boots helps to prevent the current from passing through you to earth by increasing your resistance.

Safety boot with electrical hazard protection can have steel toes. There are other considerations such as using composite, rather than steel, shanks and not using nails in the soles to increase electrical resistance.

This video shows shows a guy who is grounded and touches a power line. It shows a guy standing on top of some kind of rail vehicle and then touching the overhead power wire and the aftermath. If he were not grounded, for example if he just fell on the wire but doesn't touch the train, then it's likely that nothing would happen since there is no path to earth. The air is sufficient insulator since there's no arcing from the wire to the ground.

Viewer discretion advised
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/mr2bad/?action=view&current=Electricity.flv

Alisium
07-09-09, 02:11 AM
Give me a break, i've been up almost 24 hours....ground = insulate right now.

:p

Sergeant M
07-09-09, 05:51 PM
I think that about settles it! I hope you're not working with electricity right now Alisium! haha :beer:

Covey_Rider
07-09-09, 08:42 PM
Just to throw my little thing in there...I get issued steel toes as a combat engineer. So yeah, we get them as well.

Petz
07-09-09, 08:51 PM
duh!!!

you guys build stuff.

and blow it up. (lucky bastards!)