PDA

View Full Version : Combat/Tactical/Survival Knives

KyleS333
07-05-09, 01:36 PM
Is it a good idea to get one of these knives for over seas, how much would I use 1 if at all?

Alisium
07-05-09, 01:39 PM
Get a good utility knife and a Gerber. Don't be afraid to spend a little money, you want good quality. Those are two invaluable tools you'll use the most.

Then go to the PX, after you earn the title, and buy a K-Bar.

KyleS333
07-05-09, 01:45 PM
I just ordered a Ka-bar D2 impact, i did researched and saw that it was a good knife, I was also looking at the bull dozier Ka-bar. Do you have any knowledge of these knives and if they are a good buy or not?

Alisium
07-05-09, 01:55 PM
KA-Bar makes a great knife. Those two look like good fighting knives.

I myself went with the more traditional KA-Bar.

https://www.scarmy.com/store/images/T/3259_BIG.JPG

I've had it for 10 years now with lots of use and sharpening. The knife holds up well.

It's all on personal preference after quality. KA-Bar is top quality.

I also own their desert mule folding knife. That's my go to utility knife, but it was a little pricey.

Like I said, the it's more important to have a good utility knife and a letherman/gerber tool.

KyleS333
07-05-09, 02:07 PM
The Mule was actually one of the knives I was thinking about getting, and also the Becker Campanion for its strength and versatility. I was wondering which is better, Tanto or Clip blades.

Pete0331
07-05-09, 02:12 PM
Is it a good idea to get one of these knives for over seas, how much would I use 1 if at all?

It depends.
You will either be issued an M8 bayonet or a KaBar.

My folder saw more use then my fixed blades ever did.

I could easily spend $1000 tomorrow on knives.
Some stuff to think about:
You only need to stab someone 2 inches anywhere on the torso to hit a vital organ.
Is it worth buying a good $300-500 knife that you will rarely use and will you be heart broken if you lose it?

The mini KaBar or SOG SEAL pup is about the largest fixed blade I ever used.