PDA

View Full Version : War Vet Admits Illegally Obtaining Honor

thedrifter
07-23-03, 04:56 PM
War Vet Admits Illegally Obtaining Honor

Wed Jul 23, 2:49 PM ET

By ELIZABETH ZUCKERMAN, Associated Press Writer

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - A decorated Vietnam veteran admitted Wednesday that he illegally obtained his highest honor by buying a Distinguished Service Cross on the Internet

Bruce Cotta, 56, agreed to perform 100 hours of community service and contribute $5,000 to the Army Emergency Relief Fund to avoid prosecution, U.S. Attorney Margaret Curran said.

In a statement, Cotta said: "While I admit that my actions were inexcusable, I hope that they will not cast a shadow on the heroic actions of other Vietnam veterans whose young lives were forever changed by this gruesome and controversial war."

As for why Cotta did it, his lawyer, Francis Flanagan, said, "He doesn't have an answer to that, even for himself."

Cotta told the FBI (news - web sites) he bought the medal after the Army twice rejected his application for a Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. He said he then forged papers that would go along with a Distinguished Service Cross and sent them to Rep. Patrick Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-R.I.

Kennedy presented the bogus Distinguished Service Cross — the Army's second-highest honor — to Cotta in a ceremony in 2000.

The inquiry began when a researcher compiling information for a Web site was unable to find a record of Cotta receiving a Distinguished Service Cross. The Army said it had no record, either, and referred the case to the FBI.

Cotta could have gotten six months in jail.

In addition to a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and the Soldier's Medal, Cotta holds a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor for his actions when his unit came under attack in 1968. His platoon leader said Cotta, a medic, threw back an enemy grenade and ignored wounds of his own to treat other soldiers.

Kennedy expressed disappointment with Cotta. "His actions are out of character for a veteran with such a remarkable service record," the congressman said.

Kennedy will meet with the leadership of the congressional committee responsible for naming the Middletown post office after Cotta to discuss the situation, a spokesman said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&ncid=533&e=8&u=/ap/20030723/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_medal

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

richgitz
07-23-03, 06:55 PM
What was this guy thinking? Must have had his head up his A**.

MillRatUSMC
07-23-03, 07:15 PM
In addition to a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and the Soldier's Medal, Cotta holds a Bronze Star with a "V" for valor for his actions when his unit came under attack in 1968. His platoon leader said Cotta, a medic, threw back an enemy grenade and ignored wounds of his own to treat other soldiers.

He should be proud for all of the above.
Than trying to get a Medal of Honor...doesn't the fool know that it takes two others to write up a nomation for the Medal of Honor.
Than padding the DD-214 with a Distinguished Service Cross.
He difinitely wasn't think.

Than;
In a statement, Cotta said: "While I admit that my actions were inexcusable, I hope that they will not cast a shadow on the heroic actions of other Vietnam veterans whose young lives were forever changed by this gruesome and controversial war."
Yes, buddy your action did cast a deep shadow on the heroic actions of other Vietnam Veterans.
It's bad enougn that other wantabee's cast a shadow on the heroic actions of Vietnam Veterans, but it really hurts when one of our own does the casting.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo
Nam 1965,66, and 67