PDA

View Full Version : Mom follows in her Marine's son footsteps

thedrifter
07-05-09, 10:00 AM
Mom follows in her Marine's son footsteps

JEREMY GLASS, Special to the Post
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:13 am

March 10, 2008, was, for most Americans, an ordinary day. But for Murfreesboro resident Pam Brady, it was the day she received the news a parent fears most — her only child had been killed.

Brady’s son, David Miles, had dreamed of joining the Marines for years; however, because he could not join until he turned 18, he spent two semesters at college, the University of Alabama, before shocking his family with the news that he had joined the Marines and would be leaving for basic training on Mother’s Day.

“Even though we realized that David might join the Marines when he turned 18,” Brady said, “we still had hopes he would finish college first.”

Miles had requested Iraq and was scheduled for deployment in 2008, but a bus wreck on the base at Fort Rucker, Ala., claimed his life.

Miles’ funeral was attended by more than 500 people whose lives he had touched.

“(Though) we knew David was a special gift from God,” Brady said, “we had no idea how special he was.”

Brady said she knew some of her son’s acts of service, but it was after his death she began to realize the full extent of what he did.

In high school and college, Miles organized care packages and sent them to Marines stationed oversees. He was signed up as an organ donor, and regularly gave blood. More than 100 people benefited because of his bone donation, Brady said.

But it was Miles’ personal interactions that left a deep impression in his mother’s heart.

“(David) had a great love for people,” Brady said. “We did not find out until recently how much he ministered to his peers, giving them rides to school or work, buying them food when they didn’t have money, listening to their problems at any hour, taking them to the doctor or hospital when necessary … the stories continue to be shared with us.”

Brady is now the one organizing and sending care packages to Marines oversees. She seeks to tell her son’s story and help support the troops and their mission. She speaks to various churches, schools and other civic groups about her son, giving thanks back to members of the military and the need for organ, bone and blood donation.

In addition to these activities, Brady is involved with various events and projects that have grown larger than what she is capable of overseeing, such as a recent walkathon in Hoover, Ala., to raise awareness for organ donation, and an endowment fund begun by Bob Jones High School, Miles’ alma mater, that gives college scholarships to students in ROTC from Miles’ unit.

Though the death of Brady’s son was tragic, she said she is thankful for the positive events that have resulted from his sacrificial life and for the work that Miles kept near his heart that she has continued.

“No mother wants their child to join the military and go into dangerous territory,” Brady said, “but that job is necessary. I hope that what I do now will somehow show my appreciation to the men and women in the military and their families for the sacrifices they have made.

“Even though I lost my only son, I (feel) like I have gained dozens more sons. I consider this a blessing,” Brady said.

Writer’s Guidelines: Individual letters are requested. No mass photocopies, please. Newspaper clippings or anything used to personalize the letter are appreciated.

More info …

Pam Brady - 615-268-5031

or e-mail lcpldavidmiles@yahoo.com

Ellie