thedrifter
07-05-09, 08:47 AM
Proud to be an American
Comments 2 | Recommend 0
Service members become citizens of the country they serve
July 4, 2009 - 9:33 PM
MOLLY K. DEWITT

They became Americans by choice.

On Saturday, 24 Marines, sailors and military spouses became American citizens during a naturalization ceremony aboard Camp Lejeune during the base's annual Independence Day celebration.

Lance Cpl. Pedro Roman of Colombia said he always wanted to become an American citizen.

"I'm a Marine, it's all about patriotism," he said. "It's a great thing. I'm proud of it."

The service members originated from countries around the world including Cuba, Jamaica, Philippines, Guatemala, Albania, Suriname and Panama, among others.

John Bulger, chief of field operations for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, administered the naturalization oath to the immigrants.

Bulger said ceremonies like the one held at Camp Lejeune were being held worldwide. He said 40,000 naturalized citizens are currently serving in the United States Armed Forces and make up 25 percent of Medal of Honor recipients.

"On the birthday of our country, for these men and women to be sworn in as citizens - I can't imagine anything better than that," he said. "They have chosen to serve this country and protect the rights we have even though they weren't able to fully enjoy them themselves."

All the service members were legal permanent U.S. residents who joined the military before becoming naturalized. By executive order, former President George W. Bush declared a time of war beginning Sept. 11, 2001. By law, those serving on active duty since that date are immediately eligible to apply for citizenship.

Lance Cpl. Maria Prifti of Albania comes from a military family and said deciding to become a citizen was "natural."

"You serve the country, you should be proud to become (a citizen) ... You should be proud of who you are and where you come from, but everywhere you go is home," she said. "I'm proud to be able to say I'm an American and I'm serving my country."

One of the spouses who took part in the ceremony was Jennifer Scott. She met her husband, Gunnery Sgt. Martin Scott, while he was serving embassy duty in her native country of Trinidad.

Jennifer Scott said one of her reasons for becoming a citizen is to "live the American dream." Being a citizen will also enable her to accompany her husband and family on overseas duty stations. Spouses are required to be citizens to do so, she said.

Candidates for naturalization are required complete a series of interviews and tests before they are approved. They must also demonstrate good moral character.

Martin Scott said the citizenship process for his wife was easy.

"The civilian personnel in legal worked well. We had no problems," he said.

Lance Cpl. Arturo Hichos of Guatemala said his decision to become a citizen was easy.

"I know I've always wanted to be a part of this country. I appreciate this country a lot," he said. "I just fell in love with this country."

Hichos said becoming a citizen on the Fourth of July made the event even more special.

"This is the greatest thing. I wouldn't want it any other way," he said.

Contact Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie