PDA

View Full Version : Pushups in Boot Camp

SabreJack
07-05-09, 02:54 AM
I have a simple question:

How often and how many pushups are typically performed in a given training day at boot camp?

My personal best pushups was 74 in one minute, I never timed for 2 minutes. My dad is a Chief MSgt in the Air Force and has never not maxed his pushups; he gave me a hard time that a man as old as him could do more than me...until I got in shape and demolished him. I worked at it and my total max pushups before muscle failure ended up being something like 160.

Since I have moved out on the other hand, I have not worked on pushups anything like I used to. I think in a one minute time limit, I am now doing around 50-55 on a GREAT day.

Since I learned that pushups absolutely destroy just about every joint involved, I stopped doing them. And since pushups are not an event on either the IST or the PFT, how much emphasis should I put on them in preparation for boot camp. I have searched about 3 pages worth of previous threads and found no advice.

Alisium
07-05-09, 03:05 AM
You do them until they say stop, get tired or hand you off to another Drill Instructor.

Sometimes it can be 5 sometimes you can be pushing for an hour. Depends on how bad you or your platoon messed up.

There is no, "Drop and give me 25." That would be too easy.

The only time you'll have a set number of push-ups is during PT when they call out the next exercise and it'll be something along the lines of, "Next we will do a set of 25 Marine Corps push-ups."

Other than that, it's "Push, bytch" and you push forever.

Once I was being thrashed before reveilee and I formed a nice puddle of sweat under me. Well I was thirsty and I sucked that sweat right off the floor.

That's how many push-ups you'll do.

SabreJack
07-05-09, 03:32 AM
You do them until they say stop, get tired or hand you off to another Drill Instructor.

Other than that, it's "Push, bytch" and you push forever.

Once I was being thrashed before reveilee and I formed a nice puddle of sweat under me. Well I was thirsty and I sucked that sweat right off the floor.

That's how many push-ups you'll do.

So it doesn't really matter if I show up able to only do 3 or 903, they are going to ride me until i suckle from the floor?

WalkingMan
07-05-09, 05:34 AM
First, where did you learn that doing push-ups would cause joint damage? I have never heard of this, and my personal experience, doing push-ups all my life, and seeing many other people doing...

WalkingMan
07-05-09, 05:46 AM
So it doesn't really matter if I show up able to only do 3 or 903, they are going to ride me until i suckle from the floor?

Yes, they will push you beyond your ability, no matter how many of whatever, you can do.

The reason for this has nothing to do directly with your physical development, though.

While you are being trained physically, you are also being trained psychologically, to withstand (as much as possible under training conditions) the stress of combat.

All the screaming and yelling and and creation of 'total anarchy' situations that one goes through in boot camp, and all of the being forced to endure extreme, prolonged misery, exhaustion, etc.,, while at the same time still being able to function and think and carry out your mission, has been carefully thought out and planned over the course of many, many years, by the Marine Corps.

There is a definite method to all the madness you endure... it is as close to actual combat situations and stress levels as can be done, without actually killing and injuring the recruits and Marines.

dizark
07-05-09, 12:52 PM
From my experience, pushups are random. You'll do them for morning PT, but it's usually a set of 10 or 15, but could be more. Then they use them for punishment in the squad bay. Get used to doing the front plank and such as well... they love that one.

Don't be too concerned with how many you can or can't do. There were people there that would still end up taking a knee for a break when the DI wasn't looking. Even those who looked like they could go for days doing pushups.

Good luck to you.

0231Marine
07-06-09, 07:02 AM
Also, keep in mind that you're not doing as many as you think you are. In the Marine Corps, push-ups are a 4 count exercise so two normal push-ups equal one Marine Corps push-up.

So really, on a great day you're only able to knock out 25 right now...better start improving now.

killbodies3027
07-06-09, 07:36 AM
Do yourself a favor and just go buy those perfect pushup things. I understand what you are saying about the how pushups tear up your joints, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Doing pushups on the quarterdeck when the DI's are ITing you tears the hell out of your wrists for sure, but it's only temporary. If you get those perfect pushups your wrists are pain free, and not to mention they give you a better workout. Besides, they're only like $20 anyways.

tripledog
07-06-09, 09:10 AM
When they put you ass on the two locker boxes and you pass 5 minutes, you can stop worrying.