PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp?

dep11191
07-04-09, 12:03 PM
hey i leave for basic july 13th and i know its going to be hell but i was wondering if anyone had any tips that could help somebody through? For example how to deal with the di's

Alisium
07-04-09, 12:36 PM
Recruit training or, if you must, boot camp.

The army goes to basic.

Zulu 36
07-04-09, 12:47 PM
hey i leave for basic july 13th and i know its going to be hell but i was wondering if anyone had any tips that could help somebody through? For example how to deal with the di's

You gotta wing it. No plan survives first contact with the enemy. Follow instructions, sound off loudly, move fast. Maybe they won't notice you - for five minutes or so.

There is no "dealing WITH" drill instructors. It is "SURVIVING" drill instructors that is important.

dep11191
07-04-09, 12:51 PM
sorry corpral i didn't know that. look i learned something new today!

dep11191
07-04-09, 12:57 PM
yea I just talked to a couple of marines who just got back from recruit training and they said nothing will prepare you . they said to go in knowing the general orders and rank structure to make the learning part easier

Zulu 36
07-04-09, 01:02 PM
yea I just talked to a couple of marines who just got back from recruit training and they said nothing will prepare you . they said to go in knowing the general orders and rank structure to make the learning part easier

They gave you good advice. That and make sure you're in shape.

dep11191
07-04-09, 01:22 PM
yea Im 6ft I weigh 208 im doing 12 pull-ups i run the 1.5 in 10min and im doing 90 crunches in 2 min. so im in decent shape

hbarcus
07-04-09, 01:32 PM
yea Im 6ft I weigh 208 im doing 12 pull-ups i run the 1.5 in 10min and im doing 90 crunches in 2 min. so im in decent shape
Keep working on those pullups and your crunches should be nothing to get up to 100 in 2 minutes.... Oh and don't try to kill yourself during recruit training, as long as you don't do that you should be good =]

dep11191
07-04-09, 01:55 PM
thanks

dizark
07-04-09, 01:59 PM
Boot Camp is truly 90% Mental. When you first get there, you'll say to yourself, "what in the hell did I sign up for?!" After you adjust to the environment and the screaming, it actually becomes easier and you get used to it. I spent 4.5 months there, due to a stop at MRP to heal from an injury. If I can do it, you can too.

Good luck to you and hope to see you come back on these forums as a Marine.

Ruby
07-04-09, 05:56 PM
If I could go back and prepare for bootcamp again, I would've stopped drinking so much coffee and soda. The cafeine withdrawal sucked.
I also would've started getting up sooner to get used to the early mornings. But yeah, other than little stuff like that, it's kinda hard to pinpoint how to prepare for PI. There's nothing like it.

dep11191
07-04-09, 09:23 PM
yea the biggest thing for me is i like to take my time on everything i do And i know thats not going to fly at parris island

Lisa 23
07-04-09, 11:07 PM

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!
Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!

Also....it's Drill Instructors to you.......not DI's.

killbodies3027
07-04-09, 11:52 PM
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!
Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!

Also....it's Drill Instructors to you.......not DI's.

Practice what you preach.

Lisa 23
07-05-09, 11:39 AM
Practice what you preach.
Do you mind explaining.......

=========================================

I was correcting dep11191 on capitalizing Marines in a prior post of his, and also correcting him on his sentence structure. A previous post of his had no periods to break up the sentences.

ameriken
07-05-09, 05:43 PM
how to deal with the di's

You don't deal with the Drill Instructors, they deal with you. :evilgrin:

Do as you're told, don't question them, and you'll do fine.

commdog7
07-05-09, 06:26 PM
I noticed that as well. He doesn't capitalize anything, not even Marine. He doesn't know how to use periods or make decent sentences. I know elementary school kids who can write better than he can- it is truly pathetic.

Marines have high standards, we don't slime our work. Want a tip for boot camp? Attention to detail.

dep11191
07-05-09, 07:00 PM
Sorry about that Sgt. I know how to write good sentences and I will for now on.

hbarcus
07-06-09, 12:18 AM
Do you mind explaining.......

=========================================

I was correcting dep11191 on capitalizing Marines in a prior post of his, and also correcting him on his sentence structure. A previous post of his had no periods to break up the sentences.

I believe Corporal was just correcting you on your grammar. The point is if you're going to correct someone and post 'rule eight' then you also need to use correct grammar. "......." should never appear in a sentence. And I don't know if it's just me but I may be taking it wrong as written statements can be read many different ways but the ....s seem like an attitude when asking Corporal to explain himself. I might remind you he left the Corps as a Corporal of Marines. If you didn't mean it that way I apologize for correcting you on that. Just be careful what you type and how you type it.

By the way, I'm not completely sure that's what Corporal meant, and I'm not trying to step on his shoes, that's just my take on it.

commdog7
07-06-09, 07:00 AM
Ok Marines. The purpose of this argument was to correct the poolee, who was obviously sliming his sentences. It was disgusting, period.

If you want to pull rank, the Sgt here says argue in pm's. Don't correct a Marine in the poolee hall, it sets a bad example. By doing so, you are condoning this poolees actions- which is not the message we want to be sending. We are here to help square them away for boot camp, always remember that.

Semper Fidelis

tripledog
07-06-09, 09:14 AM
Fuk spelng, shuut st8, git my beck. We b budys than.

killbodies3027
07-06-09, 10:19 AM
I believe Corporal was just correcting you on your grammar. The point is if you're going to correct someone and post 'rule eight' then you also need to use correct grammar. "......." should never appear in a sentence. And I don't know if it's just me but I may be taking it wrong as written statements can be read many different ways but the ....s seem like an attitude when asking Corporal to explain himself. I might remind you he left the Corps as a Corporal of Marines. If you didn't mean it that way I apologize for correcting you on that. Just be careful what you type and how you type it.

By the way, I'm not completely sure that's what Corporal meant, and I'm not trying to step on his shoes, that's just my take on it.

Correct.

Ok Marines. The purpose of this argument was to correct the poolee, who was obviously sliming his sentences. It was disgusting, period.

If you want to pull rank, the Sgt here says argue in pm's. Don't correct a Marine in the poolee hall, it sets a bad example. By doing so, you are condoning this poolees actions- which is not the message we want to be sending. We are here to help square them away for boot camp, always remember that.

Semper Fidelis

I'm not pulling rank, I'm pulling common sense and respect. If you don't practice what you preach your opinions and actions are useless in my book. That's the point I was making.

Correcting anyone is not setting a bad example, especially when some PFC is running around these forums for the sole purpose of jumping down anyone's throat for any little thing she can find gets annoying first off, and secondly it makes her look stupid and hypocritical. Now that is setting a bad example.

ameriken
07-06-09, 10:35 AM
And it does no good for poolees to have Marines hash this with each other in a poolee forum. Take it to PM.

Macgerailt
07-06-09, 10:38 AM
Good luck at boot camp dep11191. Been awhile since I have been at PI.:thumbup:

commdog7
07-06-09, 01:58 PM
I've never liked your attitude Killbodies, you might want to fix yourself.

My point was to take it to the pm's. I could care less if Marines disagree with each other, but don't post it in the poolee hall. If you have a problem with LASWMarine's grammar, send her a pm. We are in the poolee area to help square them away for boot camp, not to pick arguments with fellow Marines.

Isrowei
07-06-09, 02:29 PM
I'm not pulling rank, I'm pulling common sense and respect. If you don't practice what you preach your opinions and actions are useless in my book. That's the point I was making.

You're being argumentative to the detriment of your NCO example. Stop it.

Correcting anyone is not setting a bad example, especially when some PFC is running around these forums for the sole purpose of jumping down anyone's throat for any little thing she can find gets annoying first off, and secondly it makes her look stupid and hypocritical. Now that is setting a bad example.

The PM button is a click away. Good iniative to recognize the needed correction, bad judgment in how you did it. Doing a good deed the wrong way, makes it a bad deed. Good intentions are no excuse for careless execution.

Never use another person's mistake as an excuse for your own. It's a trait of small-minded people and shows lack of character.

You've had three opportunities to take this to a private conversation and actually use some NCO mentorship:

1) First, with the original correction
2) When the PFC responded back to you
3) When the Sgt directly addressed you and corrected you

Now, that moment is past. You can take the lesson as a point of professional growth for later.

But for now, stop posting and move on.

Lisa 23
07-06-09, 03:10 PM
Just to let some of you know, I did take it up in a PM and that was at 12:13PM (EST), and so far, I did not get a responce back.

OK, now back to the topic at hand. :thumbup:

killbodies3027
07-06-09, 03:45 PM
I received the PM and read it, but I have nothing more to say. The point I made was very concise so that anyone could understand it. If you are going to criticize anyone for not following the rules, you damn well better be following them yourself. It's as simple as that.

I said my peace and moved on until tweedledee and tweedledum decided to keep arguing with me about it.

Sergeant M
07-08-09, 03:30 AM
Sorry about that Sgt. I know how to write good sentences and I will for now on.

I'm fun make good englich sgT!

Just messing with you dep11191.

JWDevilDog
07-08-09, 04:41 AM
Good intentions are no excuse for careless execution.

Never use another person's mistake as an excuse for your own. It's a trait of small-minded people and shows lack of character.

Very well said, Sir. Oohrah.