PDA

View Full Version : Maggie's Drawers

madsox
07-03-09, 12:06 PM
This has nothing to do with anything, but I was doing lots of yard work this week, gave my old brain time to wander off in some wierd directions. One thing that came to mind was the rifle range and Maggie's Drawers.

I realized I'd never asked anybody where that term came from. Did a little internet poking and the only halfway solid theory I find is that it's from the words in an old sea shanty/drinking song. Knowing Marines, that sounds reasonable.

Anybody have any other scuttlebutt on that one?

If ya want, UC-Fresno has a bunch of versions of the song, some recordings, available. They definitely sound like the kind of thing Marines of a certain age would have sung. :bunny:

http://www.csufresno.edu/folklore/drinkingsongs/html/categorized-by-song/red-flannel-drawers-that-maggie-wore-notes.htm

(in case that link works)

Anyway, happy Fourth!

Osotogary
07-04-09, 04:56 PM
I realized I'd never asked anybody where that term came from. Did a little internet poking and the only halfway solid theory I find is that it's from the words in an old sea shanty/drinking song. Knowing Marines, that sounds reasonable.

Madsox-
I drew this cartoon back when my son was active. I found it and thought that this might answer your question...but it certainly isn't the official version. LOL.
Have a good Fourth of July.