View Full Version : Defenders' pitcher has been to hell and back

thedrifter
07-03-09, 09:01 AM
American Defenders
Published: Friday, July 3, 2009
Defenders' pitcher has been to hell and back
By TOM KING Staff Writer
sports@nashuatelegraph.com

It was a day in November of 2005, a day that started out like any other for Nels Cooper Brannan, a United States Marine Corporal in his second tour of duty in Fallujah, Iraq.

He was a squad leader, and right before his group was to leave the base and head out into possible enemy fire, one of his younger squad members didn't have what is called a "flash bang" grenade. Brannan reached into his flap jacket and as he was handing it to his fellow Marine it went off.

The result? His left little finger and medial hand had to be amputated. Three follow-up surgeries and subsequent rehabilitation later and Brannan, now a reliever with the American Defenders of New Hampshire, turned to baseball. Good thing he is right-handed.

"God's definitely blessed me," the 24-year-old Brannan said soon after his arrival. "I'm 100 percent now. I definitely have some problems with my hands every once in a while, but it's something I live with the rest of my life, every day pain with the type of injury I had. But it's definitely a blessing that I'm able to come out here and play baseball."

Indeed, not only is Brannan playing here, but he also spent two years in the San Diego Padres' system.

"The biggest thing that helped me get through it was family support," he said. "Just being there with me the whole time, going through everything. It was definitely a struggle but you know they were there for me, helped me get through it, and having God in my life just definitely helped me, too."Brannan was never drafted by a major league organization. He was a reliever/utility infielder at Highland High School in Gilbert, Ariz., and although junior colleges took a look at him, "somebody didn't push me in that direction to go to college and get signed and play. As much as I wanted to, I loved baseball and I figured once I got out (of the military) I'd go give it a go again."

But he joined the Marines out of school, as his father had.

"I was always the kind of kid who liked doing the toughest things," he said, "so I joined the infantry. Look what it's done for me. It's turned me into a man and helped me out with my everyday life. And I got a shot in baseball. I couldn't have asked for anything more."

How did he end up with the Padres? He was pitching for the U.S. Military All-Stars, was throwing well, and was asked to go to a radio show with another wounded Marine. Then-Padres CEO Sandy Alderson and manager Buddy Black were also on the show, and a friend urged Brannan to ask them for a tryout. Brannan resisted the urge, so the friend did it for him.

"I owe him everything," he said. "It got me to where I am today. The Padres gave me an opportunity, but unfortunately I didn't fit with their plans."

His combined 2-4, 8.22 numbers in two full seasons of rookie and Class A ball may have had something to do with that, and he was released last month, even after not giving up an earned run in spring training and pitching well in extended spring.

"It's definitely tough when somebody lets you go, don't get me wrong," the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Brannan said. "But one door closes, another one opens. I had opportunities to sign with other teams. I talked with my agent. Talked with my pitching coach. But the biggest thing right now is get some innings under my belt and sign with a team that can put me at a higher level after looking at my resume – if I do well. We know I'm going to sign with another team, it's just when.

"I didn't have two phenomenal first two years, I was just trying to figure everything out. This year, I felt (the Padres) were holding me back. But I figured out stuff in 27 months that most guys take four years of college to develop. I came out (this year) and was throwing really well, 86 to 89 (miles an hour) . . . But I'm just coming out here to have fun."

Indeed, confidence is not a problem with Brannan.

"I have the drive, I have the work ethic," he said. "Coaches have told me I figure things out really, really quick. It's just working hard and not giving up . . . The biggest thing with me is when I'm on that mound I turn into a different person, focused on nothing but pounding the strike zone and going after the hitters, with that aggression that they better be scared of me because I'm not scared of them."

After what he had been through, what could possibly scare him? Brannan had seen it all in Iraq and never shied away from combat, even though every time he left the base he knew there was a chance he wasn't coming back.

"It's a rush, man. You can't explain it to anyone," he said, "it's one of those things you kind of have to be there . . . You always wonder, 'Is it my time today?' . . . I'd hope people appreciate what these men and women in the military do for them. Overall, I walk through life one day at a time and appreciate what anybody gives me."

And thus he's been able to adapt, improvise and overcome.

"It was definitely something I had to get used to," he said of being without parts of his hand. "But it's just something you just adapt to. You get used to it. I do feel like it's still there every once in a while, I get phantom pains and what-not, but it's nothing a little medication can't take care of and just keep working hard."

But Brannan is human. He initially reacted to his injury like anyone else.

"When I first got hurt, I was down," he said. "Such a traumatic accident you go through, you don't know what to do at that time in your life for the first three months after my injury, or four months – until I started seeing some type of progress with my hand. Because it was like 'Hey, I can do stuff, I can do this. As long as I put my mind to it, I can do it.'

"And so far I've been able to prove a lot of people wrong – doctors, coaches."

Now Brannan is going through another comeback. He still remembers that first day of spring training with the Padres, when he sat in the dressing room on his stool, taking it all in.

"I saw my jersey with my name on the back of it," he said. "It was just an amazing experience, I think I sat there for a minute and just kind of teared up."

He's always been a middle reliever. He loves coming out of the pen "with aggression, holding the game tight." But he'd like the opportunity to start if possible to get some innings, "and prove I can do it."

"He's really confident in what he can do," Defenders pitching coach J.P. Pyne said. "Without getting to know him real well, he seems like the type who's really a survivor. He uses that as something he gains confidence from.

"He's got good stuff, throws everything downhill. You can tell by the way he works in the pen he's a competitor."

One of his coaches once told him, "Just remember man," Brannan recounted, "you're not out in the field getting shot at. You're playing baseball. Have fun with it. Don't ever start thinking too much, because you won't do well. Go out there and have fun and do what you know how to do."

Which for Brannan is twofold: Knowing how to survive, and thrive.

Ellie