PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp

Perkins91
07-02-09, 09:35 PM
Hello Marines. I was wondering if there was anything in Bootcamp that took you by shock? Something that no one told you about. Was there something you wished you would have known befor you went?

Lisa 23
07-02-09, 09:56 PM
I thought the purpose of the "Ask A Marine" forum was to allow those who are aspiring to join the Marine Corps the chance to ask questions regarding this career choice.........
I just don't see how asking a Marine what shocked them about boot camp and if there was something that they wished they knew before they went to boot camp......has anything to do with their career choice in joining the Marine Corps.

temarti
07-02-09, 11:02 PM
I wish I knew the Marine Corps definition of "games", I was shocked when I found out:beer:

Fievel
07-02-09, 11:14 PM
I was shocked when I found out the shoes we ran with were camouflaged. I thought that was the coolest thing.

psyclopsus
07-02-09, 11:16 PM
Shortly after arriving at boot camp, NOTHING will shock you. That's a sure-fire thing. Some points at boot camp I remember thinking "This has to be some kind of Montey Python hidden camera joke." If you're lucky, you'll see what I mean. Bored Drill Instructors are the LAST thing you ever want to encounter...

commdog7
07-02-09, 11:26 PM
The most shocking part of boot camp were the Drill Instructors.... there's just no way to prepare for the wrath of those angry creatures.

fjmas1976
07-02-09, 11:56 PM
For me it was Close Order Drill and getting dressed "by the numbers" while on line (put on you left sock now....5,4,3,2 and you're done! Oh..you want to move slow, huh? Take off your left sock now!......). I wasn't warned about either.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
07-03-09, 09:03 AM
Going through Boot Camp was just as I had expected. The biggest shock of my young life.

Old Marine
07-03-09, 09:07 AM
Shortly after arriving at boot camp, NOTHING will shock you. That's a sure-fire thing. Some points at boot camp I remember thinking "This has to be some kind of Montey Python hidden camera joke." If you're lucky, you'll see what I mean. Bored Drill Instructors are the LAST thing you ever want to encounter...

There is no such animal as a bored Drill Instructor. They do not have time in their very long day to become bored when they are busy shaping worms into becoming Marines.

Pete0331
07-03-09, 09:11 AM
Field day did not mean what I thought it did.
There was no parachute, I was crushed. :marine:

Supersquishy
07-03-09, 09:17 AM
Field day did not mean what I thought it did.
There was no parachute, I was crushed. :marine:

HAHA, when they said "were going to play games" I though ohh yeah! We finally get to have fun! I was sorely disapointed.:(

SGT7477
07-03-09, 12:38 PM
Hello Marines. I was wondering if there was anything in Bootcamp that took you by shock? Something that no one told you about. Was there something you wished you would have known befor you went?
If someone did tell you something it would be totally different anyway each DI has his own way of dealing with the trash.:evilgrin:

hbarcus
07-03-09, 05:54 PM
...getting dressed "by the numbers" while on line (put on you left sock now....5,4,3,2 and you're done! Oh..you want to move slow, huh? Take off your left sock now!...

I got one better... How about wiping by the numbers? That was always a fun game.

Pete0331
07-03-09, 06:08 PM
I got one better... How about wiping by the numbers? That was always a fun game.

Haha, some of those games almost made me bust up laughing.

Shaving by the numbers was also great. Guys with bloody faces running around the squad bay.

smoking gunz
07-03-09, 06:28 PM
I was excited when one d.i. said we were going to make sugar cookies before we went to the pool. I was so happy, cookies and a pool to relax and cool off. Come to find out it wasnt what I thought.

Alisium
07-03-09, 07:25 PM
The Dirty Name.

I still have nightmares.

boomer56328
07-04-09, 04:58 AM
I was excited when one d.i. said we were going to make sugar cookies before we went to the pool. I was so happy, cookies and a pool to relax and cool off. Come to find out it wasnt what I thought.

Ok. I have to ask. What was making sugar cookies? I don't remember that one.

smoking gunz
07-04-09, 12:18 PM
It was when out d.i. would take us to the sand pit in our p.t. gear, smoke us for what seemed like forever then make us roll around in the sand. On hot days before p.t. they would make us wear sun screen then add sweat, makes that sand stick to every exposed inch of skin. ahhhhh good times, good times.

Zulu 36
07-04-09, 12:40 PM
I remember forming up in the pit with our M-14s, putting them on the deck ("operating rod handles UP"), then commence bends and thrusts for a considerable period of time.

When done, you would find you had shifted down a rank and over a couple of files from where you had put your rifle down. Of course, all the rifles are sand covered, and pity the one who didn't have his serial number memorized.

Then we'd have five minutes to lay topside, clean the rifles, and be back down on the patio for rifle inspection. Of course, a feeling of impending doom was upon us all.

All you Marines know where this is heading... and it did.

Ahh, the memories are still so fresh 38-years later. Maybe I will start drinking likker again. :evilgrin:

hbarcus
07-04-09, 01:30 PM
...to make sugar cookies before we went to the pool

Anyone who reads this that in the electronics field (2800 and 5900) that is going to 29 Palms for the Basic Electronics Course. Remember, the sugar cooking in 29 is difference then the one hes talking about here so don't **** yourself. It's just a HUGE STEEP hill that is covered in about 2 feet of loose sand... When you get done on that thing your shoes will be filled with sand. Oh and if its your first week here expect to only get 5 minutes to rinse the sand off before you go to class =P lol

commdog7
07-04-09, 02:44 PM
Anyone who reads this that in the electronics field (2800 and 5900) that is going to 29 Palms for the Basic Electronics Course. Remember, the sugar cooking in 29 is difference then the one hes talking about here so don't **** yourself. It's just a HUGE STEEP hill that is covered in about 2 feet of loose sand... When you get done on that thing your shoes will be filled with sand. Oh and if its your first week here expect to only get 5 minutes to rinse the sand off before you go to class =P lol

I remember running up and down Sugar Cookie Hill and the A-frame at 29 Palms.... ah, good times! :banana:

God forbid any of you poolees are in "boot camp" Bravo.

killbodies3027
07-04-09, 06:27 PM
My drill instructors never mentioned sugar cookies. Instead, they'd ask each other, "Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Soandso, how does powdered donuts sound for morning chow?"

Needless to say, I haven't been able to look at a powdered donut without getting flashbacks of those horrible days.