PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Camp Lejeune

msp2503
07-01-09, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I am going to be in the North Carolina shore area in September and wanted to visit my old base. I called the public relations office at Camp Lejeune and the spoke to a civilian who advised me that I would absolutely not be allowed on the base without an ID card? Just wondering of this is true and if there is any way I could try and access the base for a visit to bring old-fond memories?

Thanks id advance!

ecfree
07-01-09, 09:03 PM
Hey msp2503...NO PROFILE....NO ANSWERS..:evilgrin:

msp2503
07-01-09, 09:05 PM
Hey msp2503...NO PROFILE....NO ANSWERS..:evilgrin:
Why not?

msp2503
07-01-09, 09:15 PM
Ok, my profile is done! I think:p

ArtyOps
07-01-09, 09:18 PM
Screw the PR office, call the main gate. They're the ones who will make the final call on whether you will get on or not.

One of the things you will notice is the statue of Gen Lejeune in the traffic circle. The C-Store was moved/renovated and the PX/Commisary is more like a shopping mall. That is up to date as of Dec 2002.

msp2503
07-01-09, 09:25 PM
All I really have is a DD214 as I only served 6 years. Doesnt the main gate have rules that they must follow? Or can they be slightly bent at times? Thanks again....

ArtyOps
07-01-09, 09:27 PM
I'm sure theyll stick to their rules which I am sure are not dictated by the PR office.

Oh, and does anyone know if they ever finished that friggen road they were working on forever connecting Geiger and New River to Lejeune?

Lisa 23
07-01-09, 09:59 PM
My brother, who served 17 years in the Marines and is a retired GySgt, has a military ID that he got through our local Army Depot. He only went there because he didn't have to wait, which I don't know how long it would take if you went to a local Marine Reserve center near you. Try getting in touch with someone there and see if this is something that you can do.
I hope this helps......

ArtyOps
07-01-09, 10:30 PM
Problem with that is your brother is retired and rates an ID card. Those who get out no longer rate one.

Lisa 23
07-01-09, 10:54 PM
Oh, OK......just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

thedrifter
07-02-09, 04:13 AM
With proper ID You can get a vistors pas for the day....

Make sure You bring Your DD214 that prolly will be helpful....

Ellie

Supersquishy
07-02-09, 06:23 AM
show up in "Chalphas" and tell the main gate you lost your orders. You might get a free ride to the PMO office.

Phantom Blooper
07-02-09, 06:44 AM
With a drivers license,proof of registration and insurance you can go anywhere on the base you want to...except restricted areas. Also it would depend on what level of security the base is on.

You also cannot go to base housing or to Onslow Beach without a sponsor coming to main gate and signing for you to come on...unless you have a DOD decal.:evilgrin:

TJR1070
07-02-09, 07:34 AM
I went to San Diego in '06 and I went up to Camp Pendleton to show my wife my old stomping grounds. I told the MP at the gate that I was a former Marine and had been stationed on CamPen, he said Semper Fi and waved me through. Alot had changed but alot was still the same, brought back a ton of memories.

grumpy009
07-02-09, 09:20 AM
If you don't have a reason other than you just want to drive around I'm not to sure they will let you on.
I don't want to sound like an A**hole, but I hope for security reasons they don't.

thedrifter
07-02-09, 09:24 AM
If you don't have a reason other than you just want to drive around I'm not to sure they will let you on.
I don't want to sound like an A**hole, but I hope for security reasons they don't.

I do know a few of the MP's and they do pull-out there weapons....:D

Ellie

DocGreek
07-02-09, 09:43 AM
WELL...Ellie....someone has to keep guard of the SWAMP!!!.....DOC

Isrowei
07-02-09, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

I am going to be in the North Carolina shore area in September and wanted to visit my old base. I called the public relations office at Camp Lejeune and the spoke to a civilian who advised me that I would absolutely not be allowed on the base without an ID card? Just wondering of this is true and if there is any way I could try and access the base for a visit to bring old-fond memories?

Thanks id advance!

I assume by PR you mean the Public Affairs office?

September is a bit far for them to actually plan, so perhaps wait till it's a bit closer in August. I'd call them back and just tell them you'd like to visit and call it a small tour group (you and your family or friends). Be polite, and try to catch one of the Marines.

Phantom Blooper
07-02-09, 11:15 AM
CLNC has a self guided tour...it takes you in your POV around the whole base and the town of Jacksonville....to the Beirut Memorial/Vietnam Memorial Park.

You will need a visitors pass to go on this tour.....a map is availabe at the front gate.

And the requirements are the same as stated above.:evilgrin:

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
07-02-09, 12:52 PM
I Went To Jacksonville 2 Yrs Ago An Got On The Base. My Oldest Little Girl Was Born At The Naval Hospital In 2002 And We Got Pictures There An Went Out To Onslow Beach And Into Midway Park Without A Sponsor

cw2533
07-02-09, 03:22 PM
Grumpy I don't know why you think that way. I was always told once a Marine always a Marine. I served 9 years <58-67> in the Corps and feel I have every right as a retired Marine has to visit an old duty station.:flag:

grumpy009
07-02-09, 03:37 PM
Grumpy I don't know why you think that way. I was always told once a Marine always a Marine. I served 9 years <58-67> in the Corps and feel I have every right as a retired Marine has to visit an old duty station.:flag:
It has nothing to do with you personally. It has everthing to do with the security or the lack of it I see everytime I go aboard both Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune. I see more security prceedures followed at the PX from the civillian clerts checking my ID card. You should have no problems, enjoy your visit.

Phantom Blooper
07-02-09, 06:38 PM
I Went To Jacksonville 2 Yrs Ago An Got On The Base. My Oldest Little Girl Was Born At The Naval Hospital In 2002 And We Got Pictures There An Went Out To Onslow Beach And Into Midway Park Without A Sponsor

You asked probally for the original pass to the Naval hospital. Onslow Beach and base housing are restricted without a sponsor. Unless Onslow Beach is open to the public for an event.

You kept your nose clean and gave the police no reason to stop and ask your business.

I frequently use Onslow Beach campgrounds when in coastal NC and have my daughters and granddaughter come visit to use the beach. Since they no longer have dependent privleges...when they come aboard the base I have to sponsor them on to use the beach and then I say for long I want the pass for...usally a couple days so I don't have to go up to the main gate but once.

I know allot of Marines in Jacksonville...but none that live in military housing. To keep vandalism and theft to a minimum...one must have a sponsor to enter or have business in that area.I lived there for 30 years and used all the bases frequently as a Marine(active) and retired....and this is the way it is supposed to be.

Again this is all subject to one being stopped and the law enforcement personnel doing their jobs.....the only reason you were not challenged is you kept your nose clean or only rode through and there were no MP's in the housing area at that time if you stopped and took pictures.

Of all my times to the beach for weeks to a month at a time. I have seen the MP's and civilian police patrol at the height of the season at the most...three times a day...unless a reported incident.So you were basically under the wire and were not detected.

:evilgrin:

colt59
07-30-09, 09:57 AM
Driver's License, vehicle regestration, and proof of auto insurance will get you a day pass. You can go all over the place. The places you can't go are marked really well. Better have that insurance card or a number for your insurance agent. You will not get on without it. I went to Lejeune in 2006 to visit. We went to Onslow Beach, some TLZs, my old barracks and motor pool, No problems, except, let me stress, the proof of insurance. It was pretty fun. The grand-daughter was a little bored, but tolerated her Pop-Pop

AAV Crewchief
07-30-09, 10:03 AM
CLNC sucks! I think I would have stayed in the Corps had I never got stationed there. I have nobody to blame but myself since I did have orders for 29 Stumps, yet I was stupid enough to have someone change them for me and the rest is history.