PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Up Date

Ed Palmer
07-01-09, 12:03 PM
Some very good and up to date info in this
(for example)

ECS 2009 Update 12: The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has requested the Department of the Treasury to make $250 payments to eligible Veterans as part of President Obama’s recovery plan. The first payments were sent 22 JUN. All payments will be distributed by 30 JUN. As part of the recovery plan, VA is making one-time payments of $250 to eligible Veterans and survivors to offset the effects of the current economy. VA estimates $500 million in payments will be made to approximately 1.9 million Veterans and eligible beneficiaries as part of this measure. To be eligible for the payment, VA beneficiaries must have received VA’s compensation, pension, dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC), or spina bifida benefits at any time between NOV 08 and JAN 09. Also, beneficiaries must reside within the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

No application is necessary. VA used its existing payment records to determine eligibility for the $250 payment. Beneficiaries will receive their payments the same way they receive their monthly VA benefits -- either by direct deposit or in the mail. This payment is not countable in determining eligibility for VA pension or Parents’ DIC. The law allows one $250 payment per person. The payment is tax-free. VA beneficiaries who also receive benefits from the Social Security Administration or Railroad Retirement Board will be paid through those agencies, and will therefore not receive the payment from VA. VA will spend more than $1.4 billion as part of President Obama’s economic recovery plan to improve services to America’s Veterans. VA’s Internet site www.va.gov/recovery provides current information about VA’s work to deliver its portion of recovery act funds to benefit Veterans. [Source: VA News release 25 Jun 09 ++]

Rocky C
07-01-09, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ed, already got mine, Direct Deposit :)
Rocky

ArtyOps
07-01-09, 05:42 PM
Friggin waste of money. Spend spend spend.

Rocky C
07-01-09, 07:24 PM

Al, did you read Eds post???
Are you telling me that all of us Service Connected Veterans receiving a $250. check is a waste of money???

I don't know what to say on behalf of all us Veterans :(, so I won't say anything else and try and process your statement.

Rocky

ArtyOps
07-01-09, 08:06 PM
I am one of those Service Connected Veterans. As a Veteran with a Service Connected Disability I recieve a monthly check from the VA. My opinion is that if they want to improve service to Veterans they need to do a heck of a lot more than a check for $250.00. This is basically a smack in the face. "Here's $250.00, this is in lieu of anything we could actually do for you. Don't spend it all in one place." This is like $1 in a birthday card. I wreaks of we didn't put any thought into what we were going to do for you so here's some money. This doesn't adress any issues or improve any service. Spending money for the sole purpose of spending money is extremely wasteful. There is no long term benefit from this for any of us.

I should have expressed this in my original post. I appologize for that.

P.S. I'll be heading down to your neck of the woods tomorrow afternoon, my Dad is having his huge Independence Day bash now that all six kids are in range for the first time in 11 years.

Ed Palmer
07-02-09, 07:08 AM
Disabled Veterans to Receive $250 Stimulus Checks
militaryfinancenetwork.com/2009/06/17/disabled-veterans-250-stimulus-checks/ ^ | Jun.17, 2009 | Patrick

Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:14:52 AM by Yosemitest

- Military Finance Network - http://militaryfinancenetwork.com -

Disabled Veterans to Receive $250 Stimulus Checks

Posted By Patrick On June 17, 2009 @ 9:58 am In VA | 66 Comments

UPDATE: The first stimulus payments were sent Monday, June 22. All payments will be distributed by June 30.

Disabled military veterans currently receiving VA Disability Benefits are eligible to receive a one-time $250 Economic-Recovery Check [1] from the US government. This is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act [2] that President Obama signed into law this past February.

Who is eligible for the $250 Stimulus Payment?
The $250 government stimulus check is for:

•Retirees, disabled individuals and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients receiving benefits from the Social Security Administration.
•Disabled veterans receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
•Railroad Retirement beneficiaries.
This is a one time check that will be sent out in 2009. As of this writing, there are no plans to make this check available in 2010 or beyond.

VA Disability Beneficiaries stimulus check information
If you receive disability benefits from the VA, you will be among the thousands of individuals receiving this $250 stimulus check. Here is the information you need to know:

•You will receive a one time $250 check.
•You will receive the payment in the same method you receive your regular disability payment (direct deposit or physical check).
•Your $250 stimulus payment will not be included in your regular VA disability payment.
•The $250 stimulus check is not considered taxable income.
•The $250 stimulus check will not affect your disability rating or benefits.
•Your check may be used to offset debts owed to federal or state agencies (back taxes, child support, etc.).
•You can only receive one $250 stimulus payment, even if you are eligible for more than one payment, such as from Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI)m or the Railroad Retirement Board. If you receive more than one check you will need to return it, or it will be taken from your account at a later date.
When will you receive your $250 stimulus check?
Disabled veterans should receive their payment by July 10, 2009. If you do not receive it by then, you should contact the Veterans Affairs Administration by e-mail, letter, or phone. Be sure to include your VA file number (usually SSN) when you contact them. Here is the contact information:

•Internet: https://iris.va.gov
•Phone: 1-800-827-1000, or 1-800-829-4833 (TDD)
•Mail: Department of Veterans Affairs, 1240 E 9th St, Cleveland OH, 44199
For more information about the $250 stimulus payment, check out the following websites:

•$250 Social Security And SSI 2009 Stimulus Check Information [3].

Rocky C
07-02-09, 08:07 AM
I'm thankfull for all the benefits I receive Al. I don't think the $250. check was a smack in the face.
If that ****ed you off then this will really send you realing and maybe you will see it differantly.
There will be NO cost of living increase for Service Connected Veterans for the year 2010.
As the cost of living increase usually follows the same guidlines as Social Security there will be No increase for VA or Social Security for the year 2010 and it is projected that neither will see a Cost of Living Increase until the year 2014.

ArtyOps
07-02-09, 08:35 AM
I'm thankfull for all the benefits I receive Al. I don't think the $250. check was a smack in the face.
If that ****ed you off then this will really send you realing and maybe you will see it differantly.
There will be NO cost of living increase for Service Connected Veterans for the year 2010.
As the cost of living increase usually follows the same guidlines as Social Security there will be No increase for VA or Social Security for the year 2010 and it is projected that neither will see a Cost of Living Increase until the year 2014.

I'm thankful for the benefits I receive as well. The $250 wasn't a benefit though, it was what I consider a bonus. I don't expect much from the government, but I would rather have them do nothing than do something stupid. How about a program specifically to help those suffering from PTSD avoid alcohol while early in their treatment? How about keeping the VA hospital running on Saturday & Sunday so Veterans don't have to miss a day of work to get something taken care of? There are so many more ways this money could have been used to benefit Veterans. They chose a check for $250, super. Me, I'm going to spend that on a nice new flag for my flag pole (maybe two).

Rocky C
07-02-09, 09:07 AM
All the programs you spoke about are available. Here is the link.
As far as Saturdays and Sundays for a Clinic appt. I don't think that is going to happen but if you need care all you have to do is walk in and go to "Triage" open 24/7/365 days a year.

http://www1.va.gov/health/MedicalCenters.asp

ArtyOps
07-02-09, 09:20 AM
So you're sayin there are no improvements you would like to see and everything is fine on the VA front?

Rocky C
07-02-09, 03:27 PM

There are always improvements we would like to see.
What I'm saying In Ed's Thread is I don't agree with the statement you made.
I am thankfull for anything a Veteran receives and do not consider it a waste of money.

Enjoy your trip back to Rhode Island this weekend.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Ed Palmer
07-14-09, 06:18 PM
VETERNS UPDATE !15 JULY 09

Roger Shepherd
07-14-09, 08:56 PM
I think the government needs to do more for our miitary VA veterans then 250.00
ze