PDA

View Full Version : 'In God We Trust' added to public buildings

thedrifter
07-23-03, 05:51 AM
'In God We Trust' added
to public buildings
County board votes to post motto, secularists cry foul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 22, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

The Board of Freeholder in Warren County, N.J., have voted to post the national motto, "In God We Trust," in every county-owned building, prompting complaints from church-state separation activists, reports the Newark Star-Ledger.

The resolution, passed unanimously last month, calls for a wood-framed poster with the motto to hang in 30 public buildings throughout the county.

"Clearly, the founding fathers had a belief in God," Freeholder Mike Doherty, the resolution's author, told the paper. "We have a unique form of government where we recognize our rights do not come from a king or a ruler but from God."

While the report indicates the mostly Republican county's constituency has little problem with the plan, others are crying foul.

"The major intent behind this is to make this a Christian nation," Frank Zindler, a member of the New Jersey-based American Atheists, told the Star-Ledger. "This, of course, is forbidden by the First Amendment."

Joseph Conn, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State also decried the move.

"What would possibly be the secular purpose of this?" Conn is quoted by the paper as saying. "It won't make traffic any better. It won't make schools any better. It won't cut back on crimes."

The freeholders defend their decision.

"'In God We Trust' is generic by nature, and even our currency has 'In God We Trust.' I don't think anyone should have a problem with this," Freeholder Richard Gardner told the paper.

Congress declared "In God We Trust" the official national motto in 1956, and it began appearing on currency in 1957. The motto has been stamped on coins in the U.S. since the late 1870s.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33680

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

firstsgtmike
07-23-03, 08:00 AM
Much ado about nothing.

The apartment I grew up in, in Brooklyn, had a Mezuzza on the door jamb. It didn't make me Jewish, and since it meant nothing to my family, we ignored it. (It wasn't worth the effort to take it down, and would have left a blank space in the six or seven layers of paint on the wall.)

It didn't prevent us from moving into the apartment, and was not a cause for us to move out.

I also spend some time on TAD living in an air farce barracks. Their signs and posters didn't bother me either. When I reenlisted, it was NOT to go into the air farce.

Unless I acknowledge or pay attention to a poster, sign, motto, decal, emblem, etc. etc. etc. It has absolutely NO significance in my life.

Am I THAT unique? Or are there other people out in the universe who will walk on the grass, ignore a "school zone" when driving at night, or a five day old "wet paint" sign, or who don't constantly "watch for falling rocks" , or who are bold enough to remove the tags on pillows and mattresses?

Apparently, I am the only one who lives on the edge. I have at times ingested TWO "one-a-day vitamin tablets." I often ignore "shake well before opening" admonitions. I am also a smoker, and you KNOW what that means.

I guarantee that if American money was imprinted with the phrase 'Marines are faggots", I'd accept all of it that I could get my hands on, and laugh all the way to the bank.

I don't understand why some people get upset about something that has absolutely no effect on their personal lives.

And for uptight athiests, my children are familiar with, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, Groundhog Day, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Popeye the Sailor, Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Paul Bunyan, Halloween, etc. etc.

I don't believe that they are psychologically damaged. Nor will your children be by being familiar with bible stories or the meaning of "In God We Trust" or by singing "God Bless America".

If they are so traumitized that they require psychiatric counseling, remember, you cannot submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, because the monies used to pay the claim will contain the words "In God We Trust".

Suck on THAT one for a while.

jegries
07-23-03, 08:38 AM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Its there plain and simple!!! No establishment of religion, no fixed specific establishment. Some people just have too much time on thier hands.