PDA

View Full Version : Ex-POW Lynch returns home: Town gives hero’s welcome as critics complain of hype

Devildogg4ever
07-23-03, 03:38 AM
July 22 -- Jessica Lynch, the wounded Army private whose story was embellished by the government and eagerly reported by the media, returned home Tuesday. NBC's Kerry Sanders reports.

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
ELIZABETH, W. Va., July 22 — Jessica Lynch, the wounded Army private whose ordeal in Iraq was hyped into a media fiction of heroism, returned home Tuesday. “Thank you for this welcome, and it’s great to be home,” said Lynch, speaking from a wheelchair at a town park festooned with flags and yellow ribbons.

LYNCH, ABLE to walk with the aid of a walker but still having trouble standing, read a brief statement at the park after being introduced by her brother Army Spec. Greg Lynch and Gov. Bob Wise.
“I’m proud to be a soldier in the Army,” said Lynch in a statement full of thanks for the medical teams that cared for her, for her Army compatriots both living and dead, for Iraqi citizens who aided her while she lay wounded in an Iraqi hospital and for the special operations forces that retrieved her.
Lynch received a standing ovation as she entered a media tent and made her brief remarks against the backdrop of a large American flag. Outside, friends and family waved flags and “Welcome Home Jessica” signs, while a marching band warmed up for a parade trumpeting Lynch’s return home.
The 20-year-old former POW said she did not realize for “a long time” that her ordeal had captured the hearts of millions around the globe.

‘MESSAGES OF HOPE, FAITH’
“But I’m beginning to understand because I’ve read thousands of cards and letters — many of them from children — that offer messages of hope and faith,” she said.
‘She fought beside me, and it was an honor to have served with her.’
— PFC. JESSICA LYNCH
Speaking of her roommate Pfc. Lori Piestewa, who died in the accident and firefight in which Lynch was wounded Lynch said she had read “thousands of stories” recounting that when she was rescued, she told U.S. special forces soldiers that she was an American soldier.
“Those stories were right. Those were my words. ‘I’m an American soldier, too,’” she said.
Lynch also said she was “thankful to several Iraqi citizens who helped save my life while I was in their hospital.”
Lynch said she missed Pfc. Lori Piestewa, 23, who was her roommate, best friend and a member of the 507th. Piestewa died of injuries suffered in the ambush.
“She fought beside me, and it was an honor to have served with her,” Lynch said.

CHEERS EN ROUTE TO PALESTINE
After the brief remarks, Lynch was wheeled from the tent and got into a convertible for the drive to her home in Palestine. She and her brother waved to cheering crowds along the five-mile route as news helicopters in the air and camera operators and microphone boom operators on the ground followed. Lynch entered her parents’ home and was embraced by relatives and friends.
Lynch arrived earlier in Elizabeth in an Army Black Hawk helicopter on a baseball field after flying over Palestine, her hometown. She then boarded a bus that took her in a motorcade toward the center of Elizabeth for the remarks.
Suffering from multiple broken bones and other injuries, she had arrived at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, the Defense Department’s largest medical facility, on April 12. She left Walter Reed at about 10:30 a.m. on an Army Black Hawk helicopter, accompanied by her parents and a unit from the Parkersburg National Guard, which includes her cousin, Dan Little.

PROPAGANDA?
But even as family and friends welcomed home the 20-year-old supply clerk, media critics said the TV cameras showed not so much the return of an injured soldier as a reality TV drama co-produced by U.S. government propaganda and credulous reporters.

“It no longer matters in America whether something is true or false. The population has been conditioned to accept anything: sentimental stories, lies, atomic bomb threats,” said John MacArthur, the publisher of Harper’s magazine.
Lynch was in a 507th Maintenance Company convoy on March 23 when her company was ambushed near the city of Nasiriyah. Eleven soldiers died and nine were wounded in a 90-minute firefight.
Lynch became a national hero after media reports quoted unnamed U.S. officials as saying she fought fiercely before being captured, firing on Iraqi forces despite sustaining multiple gunshot and stab wounds.

FOG OF WAR LIFTS
‘The failure here was that the news media got to thinking the government could be trusted to reflect reality.’
— CAROLYN MARVIN
Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania In the end, Army investigators concluded that Lynch was injured when her Humvee crashed into another vehicle in the convoy after it was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.
Far from a scene of battlefield heroism, the Army said the convoy blundered into the ambush after getting lost and many of the unit’s weapons malfunctioned during the battle.
The U.S. military also released video taken during an apparently daring rescue by American special forces who raided the Iraqi hospital where she was being treated.
Iraqi doctors at the hospital said later the U.S. rescuers had faced no resistance and the operation had been over-dramatized.
Advertisement

Five other 507th Maintenance Company soldiers who were captured and held apart from Lynch were freed April 13.
Lynch herself has been quoted as saying she can remember nothing of the ambush or the rescue.
“The failure here was that the news media got to thinking the government could be trusted to reflect reality,” said Carolyn Marvin, professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School for Communication.
A spokesman for U.S. Central Command in Florida had no comment when asked about assertions that the heroism tale was government propaganda.

Road signs, large banners and American flags have been hung all over the small communities of Elizabeth and Palestine, W. Va.

POST OMBUDSMAN’S CRITICISM
The Washington Post, which was the first to report the heroic version of Lynch’s capture, came under sharp criticism from its own ombudsman, Michael Getler, for its handling of the story.
“Why did the information in that first story, which was wrong in its most compelling aspects, remain unchallenged for so long?” Getler asked.
“What were the motivations (and even the identities) of the leakers and sustainers of this myth, and why didn’t reporters dig deeper into it more quickly? The story had an odor to it almost from the beginning,” he said.
The Lynch story also exposed CBS News to criticism after the network offered Lynch a movie deal while trying to persuade her to give an interview about her experiences.
On Sunday, CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves admitted that CBS News probably erred in offering the deal.

HOMETOWN STILL PROUD
In Palestine, a rural neighborhood 225 miles west of Washington, residents were more concerned with protecting Lynch from the reporters who have flooded into the community for her homecoming.

July 21 — The folks in Jessica Lynch’s hometown are squarely behind their most famous citizen. But are they still behind the war in Iraq? NBC’s Bob Faw reports.

“She’s a hometown hero, no doubt about that,” said shopkeeper J.T. O’Rock as he hung a flag and a yellow ribbon on his storefront.
“That poor little girl will have to hide just to get any peace and quiet,” he added.
On Monday, Lynch was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Prisoner of War medals at Walter Reed. The Bronze Star is given for meritorious combat service, a Purple Heart is most often awarded to those wounded in combat, and the POW for being held captive during wartime.
Hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people were expected to line the route of the military motorcade that was taking her home to Palestine Tuesday afternoon.
Using 1,600 yards of donated lawn chair material, town workers have hung hundreds of yellow bows along the five-mile motorcade route.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/941827.asp?0dm=-15PN

Chosinvet51
07-23-03, 08:48 AM
I can understand the Purple Heart, I can understand the POW, I can understand the "in-country", "I was there" medals and ribbons........but what in the hell did she get a Bronze Star for? She claims she fired her rifle, but at who/, or what? She says she doesn't remember anything after her humvee was hit. And who wrote her up for the medal?
I am really ****ed off about this..........Any thoughts?

Chosinvet51
07-23-03, 09:00 AM
And furthermore, who decided she was a "hero?" I know of 17 guys in Korea who were real heros. And 12 of them died proving it! And what about the soldiers in Iraq getting killed everyday in the raids and ambushes by the militant Baath Party members. They are heros as far as I am concerned. And every Marine that landed in Liberia yesterday to help protect the Embassy in that country and who puts their life on the line, is a hero! ....Enough said, I guess. I am beginning to beat the dead horse to death about this.

Chosinvet51
H&S 2/7

USMC-FO
07-23-03, 09:10 AM
ChosinVet:

I can't speak to this with any particular authority, but as a general observation that I have been making, it seems to me that the Bronze Star is being awarded with increasing frequency simply for "being there".

I am hard pressed believe she really warranted the award for any particular valor. She seems a very nice girl, but when all is said and done she was injured in truck accident brought on by the "fog of battle". If she fired her weapon--not confirmed in my mind, then she did as she was supposed to but that does not warrant the Bronze Star.

Also, obviously, this all made for good PR from the Army's point and you certainly can't dismiss that aspect of all this. You may recall shortly after she was brought back from the hospital in Nasarria there was talk of her being awarded the MOH

firstsgtmike
07-23-03, 10:29 AM
This subect has been beaten to death by myself and a quantity of others in several posts and subsequent threads. If anyone is interested in the history of this event, search this site under the keyword "Lynch" and you will have it all.

That said, I will finish my interest in this with two comments.

1. I fail to see why anyone would rate a Bronze Star merely for shooting back if someone is shooting at them. It seems to me that if THAT is the criteria, ANYONE who ever fired a weapon in combat would rate the Bronze Star.

2. I would be interested in reading the Citation which accompanied the medal, and the name of the individual who put her up for the award. I'd like to discuss the issue with him.

Everything else that could be said, HAS been said, so I'm gone.

airframesguru
07-23-03, 11:10 AM
Authorizing Award of the Bronze Star Medal
Signed: August 24, 1962
Federal Register page and date: 27 FR 8575; August 28, 1962
Supersedes: EO 9419, February 4, 1944

http://www.amervets.com/bsmedl.htm#prx

thedrifter
07-23-03, 12:44 PM
US fetes its mythical heroine
By Elaine Monaghan
24jul03
AMERICA persisted yesterday with its lionisation of former prisoner of war Jessica Lynch, feeding the myth about her record in Iraq by sending her home in a Black Hawk military helicopter with a fistful of medals.

Dozens of cameras captured the return of "Jessi", as she is known, to rural West Virginia, where she was greeted by cheering crowds wearing "Welcome Home" T-shirts and waving US flags. TV networks are vying for a film contract on her capture and rescue, caring little that her legend has been debunked.

She thanked her doctors and nurses, the people of West Virginia, "several Iraqi citizens who helped save my life while I was in their hospital" and US special forces who brought her to safety.

Before arriving in Palestine, her home town, the 20-year-old army supply clerk said: "I want to thank the whole medical team for taking care of me these past few months. I also thank all the wellwishers for all their cards, letters, banners and posters." In a statement she said: "These really raised my spirits."

However, the myth that fuelled all the attention was far from reality. Private Lynch was not shot and stabbed, as US officials first claimed - she suffered multiple fractures and spinal compression when her military vehicle hit the one in front.

The wheelchair that she still needs after 102 days in a Washington military hospital is a legacy of the wrong turn her convoy took on March 23, resulting in an Iraqi attack. Nor did she empty her weapon taking up a lone defence against the Iraqi enemy while her colleagues lay dead, as was claimed. Her gun jammed.

And she was not rescued in a daring gunfight - the Iraqis had tried to hand her back, and the US troops who plucked her from an Iraqi hospital on April 1 met no resistance.

As the army surgeon-general pinned a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star and the Prisoner-of-War Medal on Private Lynch's lapel before she left hospital, the words of the US military officials still rang untrue. Desperate for a symbol to sugar-coat the Iraq war, they cast her as the lead in a battle of good against evil. "She was fighting to the death," one official told The Washington Post.

The messier truth emerged later in an army report in which she barely figured. Other awkward facts came out after reporters travelled to the hospital. She survived partly due to the Iraqis' care. US forces opened fire on an Iraqi doctor who tried bring her out.

For the rest of the world, reality has eroded Private Lynch's heroism. She was not a do-or-die warrior but a teenager from an area of high unemployment who enlisted in the US Army shortly before a war. Human error and weapons failures contributed to the convoy deaths.

But to Americans, she remains a symbol of moral superiority in a continuing conflict.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6799903%255E401,00.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

USMC-FO
07-23-03, 01:29 PM
Interesting screed to have inserted here Drifter.

Clearly the writer of the piece is not a US fan--she is an Aussie with an attitude as I read her.

In any event it is hardly surprising that the US--Army in particular here which takes some of the surprise out of this for me--would want to gussey up the events around all this. Every nation/government/organization will slant and spin events to put them in the best possible light. We all know this as propaganda. I am conforted that we, for the most part, recognize this for what it is. MARINES are certainly not strangers to good propaganda/spin.

I guess I look at all these event around the young PFC as nice and OK if it makes people feel good for a little bit of time. Most of us who have been in and seen our own wars understand that Lynch is just a tool here, and I am sure, if asked, would tell you they would have been much happier to have not been involved in a wrong turn into the wrong neighborhood.