PDA

View Full Version : Not your average Marriage question

Newski45
07-01-09, 12:38 AM
Ok so I searched the formus for awhile and couldn't find anything, need a little insite. Ok I'm getting married in Sept. I'm getting enrolled in marriage classes tomorrow. My fiance is also in the Marine Corps, were not the same MOS, but she is stationed in Maryland and I am stationed at Miramar. I have a couple of questions, first being since she won't be with me when I go to IPAC to give them my marriage certificate, I don't know if I need her I'd, the best I could do is get a copy of all her documents and I.d. Would this work? Second being she is not the one that is going to PCS, I am. I was going to put in for orders to Quantico it is an hour away from where she is stationed and would be the perfect distance to live with her. How would I go about getting orders to pcs? I understand that I am going to have to wait for awhile if I can't get orders right away, I'm willing and prepared to do this. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you all who gives any advice in advance.

Achped
07-01-09, 01:07 PM
lol this is totally an average marriage question for a PFC.

You know her NCOs are probably...well nevermind. You'll see.

Semper Fi.

Supersquishy
07-01-09, 01:13 PM
Ohh man not another one, sorry Devil but if I was in your shoes I would re-think marriage right now. I would at least wait until you know if you can move.

quest23
07-03-09, 10:22 PM
dont expect to move...The Corps will keep you where they need you. Not where you WANT to be cause your in love. If the Marines wanted you to have a wife. They would have issued you one!!!!....Im not being a jerk, just giving you a heads up that you cant expect much. Besides your a PFC. And I am assuming your at your first duty station?? Good luck Marine. Prepare for issues though. And a long distance relationship.

quest23
07-03-09, 10:25 PM
and you havnt even went on deployment yet?? Give it time. Think about it. There is lots of fun to be had as a single Marine. I sure hope your not getting married for the wrong reasons.....

Pete0331
07-03-09, 10:45 PM
Ok so I searched the formus for awhile and couldn't find anything, need a little insite. Ok I'm getting married in Sept. I'm getting enrolled in marriage classes tomorrow. My fiance is also in the Marine Corps, were not the same MOS, but she is stationed in Maryland and I am stationed at Miramar. I have a couple of questions, first being since she won't be with me when I go to IPAC to give them my marriage certificate, I don't know if I need her I'd, the best I could do is get a copy of all her documents and I.d. Would this work? Second being she is not the one that is going to PCS, I am. I was going to put in for orders to Quantico it is an hour away from where she is stationed and would be the perfect distance to live with her. How would I go about getting orders to pcs? I understand that I am going to have to wait for awhile if I can't get orders right away, I'm willing and prepared to do this. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you all who gives any advice in advance.

These all sound like 1stSgt questions.
You need to start there.
I hope to God you have told your chain about this.
I have seen guys get NJPed because they didn't alert their Chain ahead of time.

Achped
07-03-09, 11:42 PM
What gives about that Pete? Its my life, thats what I hate about the Corps. I know the Air Force doesn't get safety briefs, or have to inform their "chain" about an upcoming marriage, or have to wear gay PPE for motorcycles. When will the Corps stop babying its own and let them be themselves? I don't need to tell my dad I'm going to the mall, why do I need to tell my CO?

quest23
07-04-09, 12:00 AM
your thinking too hard Marine. Some things are in place for younger Marines own good. Instead of blaming the Corps. Blame the dumb asses that made it that way for thier stupid mistakes. "There is always one"

StoneTheWeak
07-04-09, 01:42 AM
What gives about that Pete? Its my life, thats what I hate about the Corps. I know the Air Force doesn't get safety briefs, or have to inform their "chain" about an upcoming marriage, or have to wear gay PPE for motorcycles. When will the Corps stop babying its own and let them be themselves? I don't need to tell my dad I'm going to the mall, why do I need to tell my CO?

The corps doesn't want you to be happy and enjoy the one life that you're given. "You signed a contract." That was the line always pandered to us at A School. My sum response was, "Yes, a contract, one that you can't possibly understand till you're already here, knee deep in **** too far to get out." That's how they get you, sign something that you really don't know about, and then somehow reminding you that you signed a contract is supposed to change anything. The corps figures as long as your miserable, you won't try and make it worse for yourself by ****ing off. You'll do your job hoping for some silver lining.

And I've noticed most of the Marines I've met who recommend staying single were left by their wives. And I can only imagine why. Not cause they couldn't handle it, but because they were ****in douche bags. Amazing how the world works. The ones who couldn't get it right tell people it's not worth the hassle. I wonder...

quest23
07-04-09, 01:53 AM
Funny. I'm married. Been married for 6 years. Got married when I was in a school. I'm just giving advice. Since I've been thru it. By the way.

Marine84
07-04-09, 07:28 AM
Its my life, thats what I hate about the Corps.

U Signed the Mthrfkin Contract. You also signed your life over to the U S Government when you did. They feed you, they clothe you, they give you a place to sleep, free medical and dental, send you places you never would have gone to on your own...................Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

I know the Air Force doesn't get safety briefs, or have to inform their "chain" about an upcoming marriage, or have to wear gay PPE for motorcycles.

But you aren't in the Chair Farce. You want to go by their rules, join them.

When will the Corps stop babying its own and let them be themselves?

As soon as babies quit joining.

I don't need to tell my dad I'm going to the mall, why do I need to tell my CO?

It's not that anybody cares where you are and what you're doing. They just like knowing where everybody is just in case an emergency were to come up. So what you have to tell somebody where you're going?

Pete0331
07-04-09, 08:18 AM

What PPE for motorcycles are you referring too?
The reflective vest isn't required off base unless it is required by state law.
It is however required by base regulations.

Last time I checked the only time you need to tell your CO where you go for libo is when in school, and on deployments.
Its done in school as a way to train for deployments and for personal safety, and done on deployments as a for of safety and accountability in case a recall is needed.
The first Marines in Afghanistan were at a libo port in Australia when Sept 11th occurred.

The reason you need to inform your chain about an impending marriage is for your own benefit.
They can't refuse to let you get married.
Too many young kids get into marriages for the wrong reason in the USMC.
Most of them are for BAH.
Being counseled by your chain is a way for them to make you fully aware of the responsibilities a marriage entails when you are within the USMC.

Many of the stupid rules you talk about are a way for the USMC and military to protect their assets, the individual, and themselves.
A lot of time and money went into training you.
Whether you like it or not from now until the day you die you will be referred to as a Marine.
If you do something bad or illegal it will reflect both on yourself and the USMC.
Its not fair but that's the way it is.

quest23
07-04-09, 09:58 AM

airforce does give safety briefs. I just spent 2 years on lackland as a civilian working side by side with active airforce. And they do give liberty briefs. And they do have to wear ppe to get on base with their motorcycles. I ride. I know! And they too have to inform thier chain of command about marriage. Where are you getting your info Marine. Your sources are jacked up!!!

Old Marine
07-04-09, 10:28 AM

Isn't your enlistment at it's end yet?????

You need to STFU and quit *****ing about Marine Corps regulations. You signed on the dotted line and its very doubtful that anyone was twisting your arm.

Every time I come on this board lately, I wear my hip boots as I know I will be reading a post from Achped and all those tears he has makes for a lot of water.

8th&I Marine
07-04-09, 11:44 AM
Isn't your enlistment at it's end yet?????

You need to STFU and quit *****ing about Marine Corps regulations. You signed on the dotted line and its very doubtful that anyone was twisting your arm.

Every time I come on this board lately, I wear my hip boots as I know I will be reading a post from Achped and all those tears he has makes for a lot of water.

I am with you on this Gunny! Achped if you dont have anything worth a damn to say keep your soup cooler shut. The rules are the rules for a reason.

Cantrell:flag:

Achped
07-04-09, 01:28 PM
Been out a while huh? Marines are required to wear shoes over the ankle, gloves, a light colored shirt, long pants, a helmet, and a whole lot of other gay crap at ALL times while on a motorcycle. <br />

Pete0331
07-04-09, 02:01 PM
They have to wear PPE to "GET ON BASE". See, I said Marines have to wear PPE "AT ALL TIMES". There is a difference. I know a Marine who wrecked out in town during the day, he hit some gravel and skidded out pretty bad. The Marine Corps is looking into a "Line of Duty investigation". Because he wasn't wearing a lightly colored shirt/reflector vest, the MArine Corps doesn't want to pay his medical bills. That is ****ing bull****. He wasn't even hit by another vehicle. He could've been wearing a jacket with christmas lights in it and he still would've wrecked.

I'll come back to the rest when I have time.

No, they don't have to wear it at all times.
The military has to pay medical bills and SGLI regardless of if you have your PPE on or not.
That is a common rumor from SNCO's to scare Marines, and it is spread by the boot barracks lawyers.

quest23
07-04-09, 02:19 PM
someone needs to join the fu@#@% airforce....the Marine corps is clearly too hard for them!!!

Supersquishy
07-04-09, 02:23 PM
barracks lawyers.
I havn't heard that term in a while...LOL.

mjhpgh
07-04-09, 03:32 PM
I am currently in the Air Force Reserves. I am also a Civil service employee of my reserve unit . From the reserve side we were told (ordered) .That we will wear our motorcycle PPE at all times ,on or off base. We have had this debate amongst ourselves at work .The same question comes up how can they do this ? The answer is the same -You signed the contract.I live in Pa.There is no helmet law,but because of my Wing Commander I have to wear one .Now I have civilian health insurance they will still cover me .

The Air Force can treat their Airmen like children as well .Sometimes for good reasons others well it might not be that clear .This is not like working for Us Air or IBM .We serve our country and most of us have been around long enough to know the pros and cons .

Marine84
07-04-09, 03:41 PM
Matt honey - you're going through the same sh!T all of the rest of us did at one time. When you're older, you'll understand why they do sh!t like they do.

Grin and bear it babe before you do something stupid................like getting drunk and going to take a pi$$ in the CO's front yard.

Old Marine
07-04-09, 04:19 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Boy those tears are great. Sounds like the Corps needs to go back to the LIBERTY CARD. Bet you would really cry then. Every regulation the Marine Corps has is for a reason...

CBRN5711Tech
07-04-09, 04:42 PM
You say that like you're the only one who has to deal with gay ****. Come on man, everyone has to deal with bs what is the point of *****ing about it. You can get married without telling anyone and they really can't do anything about it. But what does a few marriage classes during working hours and a few verbal counselings telling you you're stupid and not to get married really hurt? They are just looking out for you're best interest. The PPE and logbook **** have nothing to do with this thread.

Achped
07-04-09, 05:29 PM
I'll come back to the rest when I have time.

No, they don't have to wear it at all times.
The military has to pay medical bills and SGLI regardless of if you have your PPE on or not.
That is a common rumor from SNCO's to scare Marines, and it is spread by the boot barracks lawyers.

I signed the "PPE" paperwork regarding motorcycles before our 4th of July 96, along with the alcohol awareness policy and getting my vehicle inspected (all of which is a joke...)

It specifically states that you must wear all PPE at all times. And since you cant go on your 96 without signing that paper, even if everything you've said is true, they can still hit you with disobeying a direct order since they've got the paperwork.

The Marine Corps isn't too hard. Not at all. Its too stupid. Move all this stuff over here, so when its all consolidated, we can move it all somewhere else. Why not move the original stuff to the final place at first instead of moving **** twice? Be at formation 15 minutes prior to 15 prior to 15 prior to 15 prior. Does the air force even have formations?

In the end, I'm doing whats best for me. And that is the United States Air Force. You can't hate me for that.

Alisium
07-04-09, 05:36 PM
Dude, you're on the outside looking in.

My stepsister was a zoomie and hated the fukc fukc games they played. Not like the Marine Corps but they are more than willing to pen fukc you, like the Navy.

But, whatever.

If you've chosen that route, then why come here just to ***** about being a Marine to the rest of us Motards?

(And I know one or two you is wondering, yes she was hot, and yes I would totally tap it if I could get away with it.)

Zulu 36
07-04-09, 05:37 PM

I don't know where your info on the Air Force comes from, but I KNOW from 14-years in the Air Guard (and my daughter's four years in the AFRes) that the AF gives safety briefs you until you're drowning in words. If active duty, you have to advise your command if you are getting married (although they cannot disallow it except under very limited circumstances).

The AF wears PPE everywhere and for everything. In fact, the AF was wearing all that reflective stuff years before the other branches adopted it. I retired from the Guard in 1992 and they were wearing reflective belts on the flightline and when walking down the street in basic training (along with a lit flashlight called a "Lackland Laser").

You think the Marine Corps is anal about safety? The AF is mental about safety. They make the Corps look like it could care less.

coffeejoejava
07-06-09, 10:33 AM
I go back to the original issue.....Your wife will not need to join you in the admin office when you submit the papers. However, it is on the commands discretion as to weather or not you will be given BAH and COMRATS. They do not have to give you those.

Secondly....I am guessing that you are at your first duty station, you haven;t deployed anywhere, you haven't even left CONUS yet....Why in Gods green earth would you want to get married? Face the facts lad, you are a PFC....your unit, let alone HQMC, will not let you transfer to be closer to your significant other. They did not tell you to get married, they do not have o move you closer.
My nephew is in the same boat. Warned his dumb ass not to do it but he went ahead and got married "because he was in love." He is leaving the first week of August for a two year UNACCOMPANIED tour in Iwakuni. Does the Marine Corps care? No.

I was a very senior Sgt when I got married.

Take your time. Do not rush into this. Enjoy the time being singel and barracks life. Believe me.....after you are long gone from our illustrios Corps...you will remember these days.

coffeejoejava
07-06-09, 10:38 AM
To al lthe rest of you.....lay off the zoomie. As much as I am sure the Air Force is a business and not a military organization, they play a key and vital role in the defense of this nation. He has done his time and is serving still....in a different capacity.

And believe me, no one, or service, has the upper hand when it comes to stupidity. I have seen Air Force folks do as much stupid **** as I have seen Marines do. Different Uniform, differnet mission....same result...a free America to pass on to our children.

Get back on subject gents.

Isrowei
07-06-09, 11:33 AM
To al lthe rest of you.....lay off the zoomie. As much as I am sure the Air Force is a business and not a military organization, they play a key and vital role in the defense of this nation. He has done his time and is serving still....in a different capacity.

And believe me, no one, or service, has the upper hand when it comes to stupidity. I have seen Air Force folks do as much stupid **** as I have seen Marines do. Different Uniform, differnet mission....same result...a free America to pass on to our children.

Get back on subject gents.

By zoomie, I assume you mean Achped? His profile looks like it's been scrubbed but that piece of crap is an active duty Marine Corporal who is about the biggest drama queen these forums have seen in the past two years.

We're just tired of seeing his complaining and noise about how bad the Marine Corps is to him and how much he'd rather be in the Air Force, that's all.

But yeah, back on subject like you said.

William Hardy
07-06-09, 02:15 PM
I agree with Gunny OM and 8th&I Marine. During my time I councilled more men getting divorced than married. If you are one of those that will likely spend a lot of time deploying, it is a good idea to wait. I saw one too many who came home to a divorce after handing over most of their pay to their spouse. It takes a really special woman to marry and be faithful to a Marine or Sailor. Same goes for you. After a few drinks at a port-of-call, can you stay faithful to your wife? Does not sound like a good time for you. As the old saying goes, if the two of you are really in love, the two of you can wait.

Achped never had any leadership responsibility or else he would understand about rules and regulations. He must still be a pup. The Corps, Army, Navy, and Air Force have lots of standing rules and regulations that are based on years and years of experience. Grow up some more and you may yet understand why. That's not a put down Pup, just some advice. You're still one of us. SF

Newski45 - The two of you may have what it takes to make a go of it, but experience is against you. Seek the advice of your NCOIC and First Sergeant and talk with the Chaplin or other clergy of your choice. Don't just rush into it while in the state of heat. I married my wife just before joining the Corps back in 1967. 42 1/2 years later we are still together. I never had to go on cruises, but I spent over half of my first 5 years away from her going to schools, and a tour in Nam and on Oki. Luck for me, my third overseas assignment was in Germany and I got to take the family with me for 3 years. After leaving the Corps, I joined the Army National Guard. Every year I would spend 2 to 8 weeks away doing training or going to some school. I even went overseas a couple of times to Europe. Then came the deployment to Iraq and I was activated for 18 months. She stayed with me through the whole thing. At 60 I'm finally retired from military life and drawing a retirement check. I wish you the same longevity that I am blessed with.

Good Luck and SF

AlwaysWillBe
07-07-09, 02:03 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Boy those tears are great. Sounds like the Corps needs to go back to the LIBERTY CARD. Bet you would really cry then. Every regulation the Marine Corps has is for a reason and if you don't like it tough sh!t. Maybe you should go see the Chaplain for some guidance.

LIBERTY CARD!!
WOW! Did THAT bring back memories!!!!
:iwo:

William Hardy
07-07-09, 05:54 PM
Liberty cards would bring a lot of *****ing to the forums. I got a suspended bust when I was a PFC for turning in my Liberty Card in late. Liberty was up at 0001 and I came in at 0400. Same as UA as far as the Corps was concerned. I didn't miss any duty or formations, just a little sleep.

Hey ALWAYSBE - I see the FMAW patch and VN ribbons. When were you there? I was in MWCS-1 in 1969-70 at the comm center.

Zulu 36
07-07-09, 05:59 PM
Liberty cards would bring a lot of *****ing to the forums. I got a suspended bust when I was a PFC for turning in my Liberty Card in late. Liberty was up at 0001 and I came in at 0400. Same as UA as far as the Corps was concerned. I didn't miss any duty or formations, just a little sleep.

Hey ALWAYSBE - I see the FMAW patch and VN ribbons. When were you there? I was in MWCS-1 in 1969-70 at the comm center.

Could be worse. My dad was 20-minutes late coming back from liberty when he was at MB Indian Head. He got three days in the brig on punk and p*ss. Of course that was in 1945.

I'd love to hear the screaming if that kind of thing started up again. :D

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
07-08-09, 07:57 AM
I agree with every other Marine in here. I was a stupid azz PFC yet i was 26 yrs old and a PFC. I got married, yes I don't regret it because I wouldn't have my kids but believe me it wasn't a easy marriage. It lasted 6 yrs after multiply affairs that she had on me why I was in okinawa and a bunch of other sh*t. I'm surprized that I got out a Sgt. Some other Marines here knows my story because when I went thru my divorce I turned to my brothers and sisters here on this site to help me thru it.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
07-08-09, 08:00 AM
I tell everyone I speak to that is thinking about the military in general NOT to get married your first 4 years because it is so hard being a pvt., pfc, lcpl, an even a cpl and being married your first term.

ONTOS66
07-08-09, 02:55 PM
Newski45,

If you want REAL answers to your questions, rather than scuttlebutt and opinions, contact your 1st Sgt and use the chain of command. Amazingly enough there are people appointed above you who ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. They are up to date on regulations and procedures, and probably have done this before. There are MANY reasons for these procedures, and a lot of them have to do with protecting young Marines and their families and the young lady of their dreams. Financial responsibility is just one of the issues. I was FMF during my active duty time and subject to movement at the whim of the Corps - difficult for a young family. Do it right the first time - go through the established procedure.