PDA

View Full Version : Past to Present, my predicament and Waivers.

redberon2003
06-30-09, 10:28 PM
Marines, <br />
<br />
I am not willing to let this slide with a sense of denial to myself, Who I am, Who I was, and what I believe in. <br />
<br />
<br />
Currently I hold Two convictions; <br />
<br />
Misdemeanor Third Class...

thewookie
06-30-09, 10:36 PM
Have you spoken to a recruiter to find out what they say? I would start there. <br />
<br />
I was as close as you can get to going to jail, back in the day, and the Marines took me in, cleaned my azz up and...

Marine84
07-01-09, 07:56 AM
I was as close as you can get to going to jail, back in the day, and the Marines took me in, cleaned my azz up and made me a man, and a United States Marine -- a title that I will hold for the rest of my life.

They didn't clean you up that good - you still a little fuzzy. ;)

redberon2003
07-01-09, 01:19 PM
Thank you for your advice theWookie <br />
<br />
I have gotten in contact with a Local Recruiter, and will be meeting him tomorrow for the first time. I'll be up front and honest with him, I'm willing to put...

Sergeant M
07-07-09, 07:26 PM
First of all I'd like to say that we've all done some stupid **** in our lives. Were these charges prior to you turning 18? If so, you can pay to get all of that crap scrubbed from your record and...

thewookie
07-07-09, 08:54 PM
Thank you for your advice theWookie

I have gotten in contact with a Local Recruiter, and will be meeting him tomorrow for the first time. I'll be up front and honest with him, I'm willing to put in my cards and my full effort to earn the title.

Regardless if my title, Marine, or civilian, the things I've done were dumb. Now that I've changed my own circumstances in life, I plan to keep going, and Never repeat.

Again, thank you for your advice Marine.

If another Marine has More, or similar advice, I welcome it.

Thank you,
Ryan

Don't sing it, bring it -- check back in later and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

redberon2003
07-08-09, 02:40 AM
Went to a Recruiter with the "Papers" regarding My convictions, He looked them over and didn't seem all that worried about a waiver. The Biggest thing holding me back is My Education.

He invited me to the Poolee meetings Thursdays at 4, I'll be working off an extra 20-30 lbs or so in between college at the gym/running with friends. since I'm just a couple pounds below the DEP Limit weight.

kill the 15 credits, shed some weight, keep toning the guns.

It's going to take time, and effort. what I'm currently most proud of wasn't handed to me either *pilots license took me 2 years at a couple quarters over minimum wage, fun *****.

I'll Scale this one for my own good.

Thanks TheWookie,
Ryan.

killbodies3027
07-08-09, 07:49 AM
One thing you seem to understand that I think you really need to completely and utterly come to grips with is the fact that YOU are the constant in all of those issues you brought up. Yes, you...

fjmas1976
07-18-09, 09:35 AM
It is nice to see someone take responsibility for their mistakes finally. Congratulations on getting your life in order. Good luck in your effort to become a Marine.

Before I enlisted, I never got into trouble with the law. However, I more or less flunked out of college, was drinking all the time, and smoked about two packs of cig's a day. The Marine Corps set me straight and helped make me who I am today:usmc:

Donut Brigade
07-18-09, 04:21 PM
It looks like all that crap is on your minor record, which should be cleaned up sooner or later. I did some stupid things too, the only difference is that I never got caught. Everybody deserves a chance and I think the military will help you get the discipline to leave those things behind.

Good luck and if the enlistment doesn't work out there are other ways to serve your country.

redberon2003
07-19-09, 01:36 AM
I'm working my way there. Starting College at Grossmont in San Diego.

I was discussing this some more with my Friend Bill. His recommendation to me was get a 4 year degree under my belt and then join the Marine Corps as an officer. I inquired with him about the past issues, and he said the commitment to getting the 4 year and the separation of time would make the point much more moot. A Bachelors degree is something I very much want one way or the other.

As you said Donut Brigade, there are also many ways to serve the country if Denied Enlistment/Commission with the Marine Corps. I have my backup plans and whatnot, and if Enlisted I suppose I'd plan to serve four years, maybe eight if I Really love it.

A Commission would likely end up as a "Life Career", because I know I'd be able to live life comfortably when at Home. *I'd like not to have to scrounge for pennies all my life*.

if I can't recieve either of those, or I'm enlisted for several years I have my private airman certificate and am working to make it a Commercial Certificate. Aviation was my First love, it will always be a hobby/career for me.

Took this picture headed northbound not far from the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs with my friend Briana. First flight after getting my license with a Passenger, haha.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Redberon2003/flyingwithbriana008.jpg

And this picture, one I found around of My Friend Bill.

on the left side, Lt. Colonel(Ret.) William Sublette Folding the flag as the Marine Corps Strikes colors and leaves Beirut.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AMH/XX/MidEast/Lebanon-1982-1984/USMC-Lebanon82/img/USMC-Lebanon82-135.jpg

Bill's been a huge help, and likely the all around best person I've ever known. Knowledgeable, Helpfull, Great advice that never has Bull**** attached.

Bill's a Marine, what else should I have expected? ;)

Thanks for the Help from Everyone who's Replied. I do Appreciate,
Ryan

Petz
07-19-09, 01:29 PM
well if you want flight hours then a commission would be it... get those flight hours behind the stick of a fighter jet and you'll have all the flight hours you need for the big air liners when you get out.

hope it all works out for you.

redberon2003
07-19-09, 06:03 PM
well if you want flight hours then a commission would be it... get those flight hours behind the stick of a fighter jet and you'll have all the flight hours you need for the big air liners when you get out.

hope it all works out for you.

well, My decision to pursue becoming a Marine really has little to do with flight hours. It would be amazing to get those from the Marine Corps, but whether or not I'll get there is an entirely different question. It would be one of those situations where I suppose my Chance of Survival in making the flight program are small. Optimistically it's Definitely a Possibility I Believe, Realistically - I don't have my hopes up on it.

There are lots of Doors that will Open up though, I figure the best route is the one Best for me, And best for the other party.

Any Commission/Enlistment works, And I'll shoot for the best Job that I can do in Receiving the Commission or Enlistment, and then put my Effort into that job. Flying, Driving, Warehousing, sitting at a Desk, Being a Grunt, They're all Required to keep the cogs spinning, I'm okay doing any one of them *some maybe for a shorter time than others*. I'll Pull the 4 years.

I have the Next 40 years of my Life to Fly airplanes one way or another, Civilian or Military. I love it, but at 18 years old I guess the one thing I've got going for me is some Time. just Make the best, of the best things :), When the moment isn't Rainbow and Sunshine then find the good things, or the suitable things to keep moving forward. another path I've considered taking is the A&P Route, Become an Airframe and Power plant Mechanic, Earn a modest living. Buy a kit, invest a ****load of time and money into it *Probably border line 100-150k for a Nicely built and completed Kit* have the Family plane, and work Fix 'em for a living. So many possibilities.

Thank you for your Advice Staff Sergent Petzold,
Ryan

Sergeant M
07-19-09, 07:48 PM
You're definitely not going to get any pilot hours as an elisted man, but you can still get flight hours as an enlisted guy. Just go Aircrew. That's what I did.