PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions for Combat Engineers

pittim
06-30-09, 05:51 PM
Any Combat Engineers have any college experience before enlisting? So far I have finished two years in a Mechanical Engineering program, so it's quite obvious that I'd have interest in becoming a CE.

I know that the Corps will teach me everything that I needed to know, but was wondering if it was comparable to what you might have taken in college (physics, statics, calculus...all that "fun" stuff.)

Also, I am basically debating between 0311 and 1371 (yes, I know I can't get the exact MOS on my contract, but they are the ones I want the most.) Were any of you CEs in the same position as I am? Could you tell me what made you choose 1371 over another (kind of) similar MOS?

Thanks Marines,

Tim

psyclopsus
06-30-09, 07:24 PM
1371 doesn't require any college level knowledge. All the formulas for demolition are basic algebra. When you do bridging (as a 1371) all the info is contained on a little graph (gap is x feet, start at step 3 etc.) The name "combat engineer" is kind iof misleading, as there isn't hardly any actual "engineering" required. Simple memorization of basic algebra formulas. You would not utilize any of your college experience (VERY VERY little if you do) and I don't want to say it would be wasted time, but it would be like a college physics professor teaching high school algebra. You would have an extensive knowledge base, but nowhere to apply it in your MOS. If you'd like, PM me and I can give you extensive examples (coursework) of the simplicity of the 1371 MOS school to support my position.