PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer honors Marines by coordinating funerals

thedrifter
06-30-09, 07:41 AM
June 30, 2009
Volunteer honors Marines by coordinating funerals

By LEILA SCHOEPKE
The Leaf-Chronicle

Being the only Marine detached to the National Guard to represent the Marine Corps during military funerals in over 48 counties in Tennessee and Kentucky is more than an occupation for Sgt. Gary Weatherford.

"It is such an honor to be part of them (the Army National Guard.) Wearing the Marine Corps uniform and serving as a Marine is such an honor," Weatherford said.

A Vietnam War veteran and a Marine Corps veterans organization member, Weatherford, 60, started doing volunteer work for Army National Guard funerals four years ago.

He spent two years in Lebanon, Ky., and another two years in Clarksville, traveling across the states with the Clarksville burial team to work in military funerals.

"If it is a local Marine that has been deceased, we (the Marine Corps Honor Guard) give full military honors to that Marine," Weatherford said.

Weatherford raises money for charitable events, coordinates military funerals for the Marine Corps and the Army National Guard, and organizes flag-raising ceremonies. Weatherford said he is in uniform every day.

He works on an average of 25 funerals a month for the Army National Guard and organizes about two to three funerals a day around Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee.

"Nashville is the headquarters where funeral assignments come from," he said.

"I've done 665 funerals as of last Friday."

Among his volunteer work, Weatherford sells flags for the Marine League to raise money. He also plays taps for the Army funerals, folds the flag and presents it to the family, does the military funeral honors detail, and the firing detail.

He said it was an honor for him to be part of the Marine Corps Detachment 603 that did the opening ceremonies for the Rivers & Spires Festival for the last two years.

The Clarksville burial team that performs funeral services for veterans is the Army National Guard.

"We have two officers and six enlisted men who constitute the Marine Corps Honor Guard," Weatherford said.

The Clarksville burial team is composed of Weatherford, team leader Sgt. Leo Shinkle, Sgt. Scott Peterson, and Sgt. Michael Sparks. They also did a color guard at Austin Peay State University during the university's summer games.

Weatherford explained how his desire to volunteer in military funerals started:

"I was so impressed with military funerals that I wanted to volunteer. I went to funeral school in Nashville. After I graduated I was issued a uniform and started working for the Army National Guard as a volunteer. I wanted to be part of it."

Curt Hamm, another volunteer and one of Weatherford's Marine Corps colleagues, called Weatherford's volunteer work "remarkable."

"Gary has more skills. He is friendly and a man of integrity," he said. "Gary would do anything for anybody."

Weatherford said he is lucky to have Hamm.

"He helped me a lot to pay honor to the fallen Marine," Weatherford said. He described Hamm as "one of the finest officers who served in the battle of Fallujah."

One night, Hamm said, Weatherford got a telephone call from a grieving daughter. She wanted to organize a funeral for her father, whose wish was to be buried in military uniform.

"Gary did everything he could to locate a uniform. He took it the funeral and made it happen for the family," Hamm said.

Weatherford said all he did was refer the daughter to the military clothing facility in Camp Lejeune, N.C., to get the uniform shipped overnight.

He went to Louisville, Ky., to get the Reserve unit to do the honors in Lexington, Ky. Although the honor details for that funeral took two hours, it took Weatherford and the funeral home director an hour to make sure everything was done right and all the medals and awards were placed correctly. The deceased veteran was then transported to Lexington for interment.

"He got his wish, he was buried in dress blues," Weatherford said.

Weatherford said his work is all about "Marines honoring Marines."

"We work with a lot of young soldiers, they are young but very professional," he said. "We never forget about those who came before because they have made our history at the Corps. We take a lot of pride in it."
Additional Facts

Do you know a hometown hero? We're looking for everyday people who have made a big difference in the lives of those around them. Send your nomination to news@theleafchronicle.com. Tell us why this person is your hometown hero. Please include your name and phone number, and put "Hometown Heroes" in the subject field.

Ellie