PDA

View Full Version : A friend of mine wants to join

223kazin
06-30-09, 01:33 AM
I apologize in advance if this type of topic is ill-received on this forum, I don't really know all the dos and don'ts here as I'm fairly new. So if this steps on any toes then I'm very sorry by all means, moderate this topic into oblivion. With that out of that way, let's get back on topic.

A good friend of mine has recently shown interest in the Marines, unfortunately she isn't what you would call your most "stable" individual. She cuts to relieve stress and she's anorexic, but she's an extremely strong-willed woman(Probably the strongest I've witnessed seeing as how I'm not -quite- there to join the Corps, blasted GED) I'm torn between actively cheering her on and thinking that she's going to be eaten alive before she even makes it half way through boot. I suppose my question would be, can someone like that last through the Corps?

Thank you in advance for any help you all can provide.

Sergeant M
06-30-09, 01:50 AM
She doesn't seem like a very strong-willed woman is she cuts to relieve the stress. On the bright side she'll have no problems making weight if she's anorexic. Send pictures and we might be able to help you further.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 06:11 AM
No, she won't make it through boot camp because they wont allow her to cut herself to relieve stress. She needs to be honest when she goes to see a recruiter and if she makes it as far as MEPS.

What she really needs to do is find a good doctor to get to the bottom of her issues. If you want to cheer her on for something, cheer her on for that. Be there and support her in her recovery 100% and keep in mind that no matter how much you think you understand you don't and she needs professional help. She is not strong if she cannot deal with stress.

skipper72
06-30-09, 06:55 AM
I am, among other things, a "shrink," and I have answered your concern privately, 223. Apart from any interest in the Corps, this is a very serious matter.