PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Nicky the Great
06-30-09, 12:51 AM
Hi guys, I've got a few questions, some of them will help me decide if I should buy a new car before I enlist.

1. When I'm attending the School of Infantry and other MOS training, is there a parking lot I could use?

2. After all my schooling and I'm assigned to a unit and base, is there restrictions on getting off-base housing (i.e. rank, time in, ect...)?

3. Would parking be available if I were to stay on base?

4. When attending the School of Infantry, is there down time on weekends?

Thank you for your help!

scifguard
06-30-09, 01:19 AM
1. You don't get to use your car while at MOS school.

2. At least in my MOS you have to be married or at least a SSgt.

3. Yes

4. Depends

In my opinion, don't buy a car before you ship. Buy one when you get to your first duty station.

Sergeant M
06-30-09, 01:56 AM
I would would agree with scifguard, just wait until after you get to your duty station. You should have a few grand saved after boot camp, and as long as you're not stupid even more by the time you get out of school, which would allow for you to buy a nicer car anyways.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 05:11 AM
These Marines have very good points. Also, keep in mind, what if you get stationed in Okinawa or Hawaii. The Marine Corps does not pay to move your personal belongings to your first duty station.

You probably could pay to ship a car to Hawaii or possibly even have your car hitch a ride with the Navy (it happens), but POV's are not authorized to ship to Okinawa.

I have seen Marines at MCT bring their POV's and they got into deep sh!t. I agree with what they said above. Wait till your first duty station.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 05:32 AM
Furthermore, Depending on your duty station, MOS and marital status, off base housing may not be an option.

For example, if you are single (which I am assuming) and you live on Okinawa, off base housing is not an option, period. You have to be Married and on at least a three year accompanied tour to get base housing on Okinawa.

If you are single and station in the US (inc. Hawaii) you will be given a barracks room which you will be required to maintain. There are a few exceptions, often Sergeants will be permitted to move out in town and recieve a housing allowance if barracks occupancy exceeds a certain percentage. Staff Sergeants and above are automatically given a housing allowance and allowed to move out into the town.

If you do not meet either of these requirements you will be given a barracks room. If you choose to move out in town of your own accord you will still be required to maintain your barracks room and you will not be given a housing allowance.

Parker-0321
06-30-09, 07:53 AM
There is one upside I saw in owning/buying a new car before you enlist/ship. That is that you would be making payments on it and not racking up miles. I bought my Jeep brand spankin' in 2006 before I shipped and ended up getting stationed in Okinawa. I miss it to death but this whole time I've been paying it off and not driving it. The car company I bought it from pushed the warranty an extra two years because I'm not driving it and I pay maybe $80 a YEAR for full coverage. With my extra COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) I doubled up the payments and have payed off a 4 year note in about 2 years. Looks great on a credit report.

Now for the downside. I never get to drive it, it's a drain on my wallet, it's just collecting dust. If I could go back and re-do the whole thing I probably wouldn't have bought it. It was a slick deal and a hell of a price but I'm sure I could find it again.

My advice; WAIT.

Isrowei
06-30-09, 09:05 AM
Nice name. How did you pick that?

Pete0331
06-30-09, 09:42 AM
Hi guys, I've got a few questions, some of them will help me decide if I should buy a new car before I enlist.

1. When I'm attending the School of Infantry and other MOS training, is there a parking lot I could use?

2. After all my schooling and I'm assigned to a unit and base, is there restrictions on getting off-base housing (i.e. rank, time in, ect...)?

Thank you for your help!

1. No.
2. Yes, you must be married or an NCO (depending on unit)
3. Maybe, parking is very touchy depending on the barracks, camp, etc.
4. Yes, but not much. Don't expect to get off-base while there, unless you are an 03XX.

Wait for awhile before you buy a vehicle.
NEVER buy new. Lemon lot is a good resource.
The farther away from base you go in civilian land the better your chances of not being ripped off.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 09:44 AM
Never buy new?

Supersquishy
06-30-09, 09:47 AM
The farther away from base you go in civilian land the better your chances of not being ripped off.

I Second that. I would hold off as much as you can, then if you have enough money saved up buy a used car paid in full, or a 2 year used car with a warranty if you must buy new. You will save $$$ buying a good used car. Research the car your thinking, i.e. dependability , insurance, etc. my 2 pennies.

Alisium
06-30-09, 09:47 AM
The idea is that the bugs of a new car are worked out by the time you get your hands on it.

And yes, never fall for those tricks and tricksters in Oceanside or close to any base.

"financing for all E-1's"

Words of warning.

Pete0331
06-30-09, 09:50 AM
Never buy new?

Never.
New cars, unless its a Lambo, are a waste of money.
They loose half of their value as you drive off the lot.

Spend your money the way you want.
But expect to get NJP'ed when you don't have enough money for haircuts and uniform items because of a new car payment and high gas prices.

Edit: ALWAYS consult an NCO/SNCO before buying a car.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 10:05 AM
You've just got to be smart about it.

Lisa 23
06-30-09, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your help!

When refering to Marines.....call them as such.....MARINES, not you guys.
I just hate it when wannabes and poolees call Marines you guys. :mad:
These Marines have EARNED the title. :usmc:

BR34
06-30-09, 12:36 PM
Edit: ALWAYS consult an NCO/SNCO before buying a car.

They're usually the ones with the money problems.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 12:38 PM
My only debt is my house and car.

Parker-0321
06-30-09, 06:45 PM
Never.
New cars, unless its a Lambo, are a waste of money.
They loose half of their value as you drive off the lot.

ALWAYS consult an NCO/SNCO before buying a car.

+1 on that. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I even had a trade in and negotiated $5,000 off the original price. I may have got the Jeep I wanted, but I certainly payed for it in the end.

And if you're going to spend more than $500 on ANYTHING, I'd talk to an NCO about it first.

A Marine from my shop is currently serving brig time for writing hot checks, don't be like that guy.

Parker-0321
06-30-09, 06:51 PM
I've accidently posted twice, this can be deleted.

Pete0331
06-30-09, 09:48 PM
They're usually the ones with the money problems.

Part of it is to keep your chain informed.
Also SNCO's, especially E-8 and above, are going to know the all the benefits military members have when dealing with contractual obligations.

Nicky the Great
07-05-09, 12:38 PM
Aight Marines, thanks for all you're help.

I had considered 'what if I get stationed in Okinowa?'.

I'm not sure if I'll buy a used Jeep over a new one, but I'll think about it.

Thanks!

Alisium
07-05-09, 01:26 PM
If you're going to NCO's for financial advise go to the older NCO's not the guys who are single and 21.

I had a bad experience with that. I ended up buying a used Neon for 13K when I could have bought a brand new Neon for 9K. I did so with an NCO of mine and his friends that warned me off of going to dealer A because they allegedly sold lemons.

Needless to say, until I picked up CPL I was broke.