PDA

View Full Version : That itchy feeling...

SlatDogg
06-29-09, 08:34 PM
I've only been out of the Corps since February, and am in IRR until March of 2010. Before I got out I was looking forward so much to "starting" a new life with going to college (actually being able to afford it thanks to the Post 9/11 bill). I'm having second thoughts now. I don't start school until September and have too much down time. Some civilians are good to go, but others make me think, "I'm protecting this guy from terrorist scumbags?" I never used to dream about the Marine Corps when I was active duty, but now I do all the time. All of my friends from before I enlisted I haven't talked to in years, and all of my buddies from the Marines, well, they're being Marines and are sometimes hard to get a hold of. I'm not asking for anyone's opinion about wether I should stay or go, but I want to know does the feeling ever go away?

Phantom Blooper
06-29-09, 08:44 PM
No...thats evident by this site.

Usally when I have an itch I scratch it!:evilgrin:

8th&I Marine
06-29-09, 08:57 PM
No...thats evident by this site.

Usally when I have an itch I scratch it!:evilgrin:

He's not talking about crabs Phantom LOL. I would start looking into what options you have on getting back in due to the fact that feeling never goes away.

Cantrell

Phantom Blooper
06-29-09, 09:06 PM
The cliché was misconstrued....But for the record I prefer to lobster!

Sounds like if you are dreaming good dreams and some of the civilians aren't living up to your expectations....I would at least rub those crabs and go talk to a recruiter.

If nothing else you can kill two birds with one stone by enlisting in the reserves and still go to school....I don't know the regulations...but if you act now you should still be able to keep your rank.

Good luck!:evilgrin:

Osotogary
06-29-09, 10:02 PM
Seems to me that you have options, SlatDogg. Some folks don't. If you are not tied down or commited to anyone, on a serious personal, financial or professional level, then scratch that itch, as the good Phantom mentioned. Hang in there with school...if you can. I don't really know what the percentage is on returning veterans starting and completing their college education while they are IRR but I don't think it is as high as, perhaps, one would think it might be...for reasons other than intellectual. If you can complete your education while still serving your Country...more power to you.
Whatever road you decide to navigate, make the best of it. Good luck to you.

Fievel
06-29-09, 10:21 PM
I've only been out of the Corps since February, and am in IRR until March of 2010. Before I got out I was looking forward so much to "starting" a new life with going to college (actually being able to afford it thanks to the Post 9/11 bill). I'm having second thoughts now. I don't start school until September and have too much down time. Some civilians are good to go, but others make me think, "I'm protecting this guy from terrorist scumbags?" I never used to dream about the Marine Corps when I was active duty, but now I do all the time. All of my friends from before I enlisted I haven't talked to in years, and all of my buddies from the Marines, well, they're being Marines and are sometimes hard to get a hold of. I'm not asking for anyone's opinion about wether I should stay or go, but I want to know does the feeling ever go away?

Nah, it doesn't from what I can tell. I've been out for 5 years and the itchy feeling gets worse as time goes on, at least for me. I'm married with two kids, and I make decent money now. I figure I'll wait until the next life to give it another go. Who knows, maybe I'll end up a lifer that time.

Supersquishy
06-30-09, 05:41 AM
Nah, it doesn't from what I can tell. I've been out for 5 years and the itchy feeling gets worse as time goes on, at least for me. I'm married with two kids, and I make decent money now. I figure I'll wait until the next life to give it another go. Who knows, maybe I'll end up a lifer that time.

Ditto, going back reserves so I have both. At least once a month being back with the brothers and sisters is better than none a month.

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 06:15 AM
Go to the MOBCOM website and scratch that itch. You are still IRR and you can volunteer for active duty time. Didn't you go to TAP/TAMP? :)

https://mobcom.mfr.usmc.mil/MOBCOM.asp