PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB Tommorow

MotivatedIzzy
06-29-09, 02:54 PM
i'm going to Meps tommorow to take my test, I wanted to know if any of the Devildogs or Poolees have any test taking tips that would help me ?
Thank you. :iwo:

Crusader20
06-29-09, 03:16 PM
Read the questions, thoroughly. Do not assume that you know what they are asking. You will take the test again at boot, if you get that far.

sparkiee
06-29-09, 10:24 PM
Read the questions, thoroughly. Do not assume that you know what they are asking. You will take the test again at boot, if you get that far.

I dont remember taking the test again at boot camp.

marine95
06-29-09, 11:51 PM
Only a select few will take another test. Usually for computers. You shouldn't have to worry about the test. Get some rest and do not think so hard. You either know it or you don't.

Sergeant M
06-30-09, 12:05 AM
Eat a good breakfast and don't think too much. Don't let anticipation get your nerves rattled.

Petz
06-30-09, 12:13 AM

what???????????

sbombard15
06-30-09, 10:27 AM
I rushed through it and got a 83. Dont worry about it.

MarinesFTW
06-30-09, 12:29 PM
If you can pass school, you can pass the ASVAB. If you dont know the question dont sweat it, give your best answer, forget about it, and go on.

Hartford
06-30-09, 05:10 PM
The test is really easy to be honest. Just read the question for what it says and read it thoroughly. Sometimes the question will start out with something and then you must come up with a conclusion from something in the question to figure out what they're really asking and then answer that question. Sounds tricky but it's ridiculously easy. I got a 93 and didn't study.

HammerOfJustice
06-30-09, 09:09 PM
i'm going to Meps tommorow to take my test, I wanted to know if any of the Devildogs or Poolees have any test taking tips that would help me ?
Thank you. :iwo:
The ASVAB is a standardized test; taking standardized tests is a skill that can be learned, regardless of the subject matter covered, because they are generally designed in a standard (see what I did there?) fashion.

For example, you're looking at a question, you've got four choices. 25% chance of getting it right if you just guess (which I strongly discourage doing). However, one of those options is going to be dead out obviously wrong, and if you even marginally know what you're talking about, it should be easy to spot that one. If you only eliminate the "obvious fake" from every question, statistically you're going to do no worse than 33%. Obviously, you have to at least know enough about the subject to recognize the fake, but this skill will help to improve your score if you understand the concept but just don't know exactly how to solve the problem.

Now, the ASVAB is a percentile test, so answering 33% of the questions correctly does not mean your AFQT will be 33. An AFQT of 33 implies that you scored better than 33% of the high school students who took this test when the sample group was taken in 2004.

To further complicate things, the AFQT score is only based on four sub-tests: Math Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning, Paragraph Comprehension, and Word Knowledge. So, if you want to direct your studying efforts towards getting the highest AFQT score possible, you don't need to study electronics. The line scores are going to help you get the MOS you want, but your AFQT has to be 31 or higher to even enlist (this information according to recruiters of RS Orange as of June 09).

If you've only got a day, don't try studying English skills, you'll either know it or you won't. Focus on math. If you know nothing else, take the rest of the day to memorize some simple geometric formulas that you WILL have to use on the test. If you don't know the right formula to address the shape you're presented with, you simply won't be able to answer the geometry questions without guessing.

Area of a Rectangle = length * width
Area of a Triangle = 1/2 * base * height
Area of a Circle = pi * radius ^ 2
Circumference of a Circle = 2 * pi * radius
Pythagorean Theorem (for finding the length of an unknown side of a right triangle) = a^2+b^2=c^2

Gunner614
06-30-09, 09:20 PM
The ASVAB is a standardized test; taking standardized tests is a skill that can be learned, regardless of the subject matter covered, because they are generally designed in a standard (see what I did there?) fashion.

For example, you're looking at a question, you've got four choices. 25% chance of getting it right if you just guess (which I strongly discourage doing). However, one of those options is going to be dead out obviously wrong, and if you even marginally know what you're talking about, it should be easy to spot that one. If you only eliminate the "obvious fake" from every question, statistically you're going to do no worse than 33%. Obviously, you have to at least know enough about the subject to recognize the fake, but this skill will help to improve your score if you understand the concept but just don't know exactly how to solve the problem.

Now, the ASVAB is a percentile test, so answering 33% of the questions correctly does not mean your AFQT will be 33. An AFQT of 33 implies that you scored better than 33% of the high school students who took this test when the sample group was taken in 2004.

To further complicate things, the AFQT score is only based on four sub-tests: Math Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning, Paragraph Comprehension, and Word Knowledge. So, if you want to direct your studying efforts towards getting the highest AFQT score possible, you don't need to study electronics. The line scores are going to help you get the MOS you want, but your AFQT has to be 31 or higher to even enlist (this information according to recruiters of RS Orange as of June 09).

If you've only got a day, don't try studying English skills, you'll either know it or you won't. Focus on math. If you know nothing else, take the rest of the day to memorize some simple geometric formulas that you WILL have to use on the test. If you don't know the right formula to address the shape you're presented with, you simply won't be able to answer the geometry questions without guessing.

Area of a Rectangle = length * width
Area of a Triangle = 1/2 * base * height
Area of a Circle = pi * radius ^ 2
Circumference of a Circle = 2 * pi * radius
Pythagorean Theorem (for finding the length of an unknown side of a right triangle) = a^2+b^2=c^2

She already took the test, too late. Half these posts are late, she posted the question yesterday about a test today.

HammerOfJustice
06-30-09, 09:24 PM
She already took the test, too late. Half these posts are late, she posted the question yesterday about a test today.

Ah, right you are.

I still had the site up on my work computer from yesterday and neglected to refresh. :scared:

MotivatedIzzy
07-02-09, 12:55 PM
First of all dude, I am not a girl...
But anyways I Passed!! My composite scores were MM 105 GT 105 EL 104 CL 105 :banana: I don't have an MOS yet because there arn't many open, Thats what my recruiter said. MEPS Sucks too, The best part was Swearing in

Eldridge0311
07-02-09, 01:02 PM
I actually liked MEPS.. but ha that is me I guess

Gunner614
07-02-09, 01:56 PM
First of all dude, I am not a girl...

lol, My bad man. I know a girl named Lizzy an I guess I confused my stupid self.
Good job on the test, nice scores.