PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of semper fi brings Marines to hometown of a fallen friend

thedrifter
06-28-09, 05:59 AM
Spirit of semper fi brings Marines to hometown of a fallen friend
Brent Ainsworth
Marin Independent Journal
Posted:06/27/2009 09:22:12 PM PDT

Stephanie Cincotta said she is awed and even puzzled by the commitment of Marines who came together this weekend to honor her son 40 years after he was killed in Vietnam.

"I still keep asking myself why, why for my son?" said the 81-year-old San Rafael resident. "What is this really all about?"

Panel 21W, Line 27 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial contains the name of Pfc. Thomas Cincotta, an 18-year-old Marin Catholic High School graduate who was killed in action on June 28, 1969.

From Afghanistan, Norway and across the United States, 25 Marine Corps veterans from Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines arrived midweek for a series of events including a Saturday graveside ceremony at Mount Olivet Cemetery in San Rafael. Several big meals were planned, including a barbecue at the Cincotta home, and a Mass in the Mission Chapel of St. Raphael Church.

Bob Davis of Clovis, the ringleader of the tribute, said he can answer Stephanie Cincotta's question quite easily.

"The motto of the Marine Corps is semper fidelis, which means always faithful," Davis said. "If this doesn't exemplify semper fidelis, I don't know what does."

It's been at least five years since Davis rounded up the group from Lima Company's 2nd Platoon, 2nd Squad for old time's sake and to remember Tom Cincotta. It was relatively easy in this Internet age to find the guys with uncommon names, but much tougher to root out the other "Bob Davises" of the group, Davis said.

The first meeting was in Omaha, Neb., which was centrally located for the Marines making the trip. Not all 25 have made it to these meetings; Davis said he would be seeing his platoon commander for the first time since 1969. And this weekend's function marks the first time they have come to Cincotta's hometown to meet his family.

Stephanie Cincotta, widow of Serge Cincotta, still lives in the home where Tom grew up on Fairhills Drive and participated in this weekend's activities with Tom's siblings Mary Ann, 61, Stephanie, 56, Annette, 51, Joe, 49, and Angela, 46.

Bill Shirley made the trip from Afghanistan, where he outfits military Humvees with titanium armor. He said in a note, sent via e-mail, that for years he blocked out the names of fellow Marines who died with his unit in Vietnam. The only name he couldn't block out was Tom Cincotta's.

"When I first went to the Wall in Washington, his was the one name I could remember and touch on the Wall," Shirley wrote.

As Davis tells it, Cincotta was killed near Quang Tri, not too far from the Laos border and Landing Zone Vandegrift, affectionately known as "Stud." He was "walking point" in front of his unit in an area where other patrols had encountered Viet Cong troops. Another platoon was nearby.

Cincotta walked over a bluff and found himself next to a well-fortified enemy bunker. He was shot multiple times, drawing fire that allowed many others to find safety. He became the last Marine in Lima Company to be killed in action during the war.

"He sacrificed and saved a lot of other guys," Davis said. "One of those guys tried to save him and got wounded when they threw grenades at him. That guy will be there this weekend."

While still in Vietnam, Davis received a letter from "Mom" Cincotta. Tom had told her about Davis, one of the few fellow Californians in his unit. They had arranged to meet when they got home.

"Stephanie asked me if I would fulfill that promise," said Davis, who now owns a dairy commodities business in Clovis.

He has visited many times, including last week to orchestrate the graveside ceremony. It included the national anthem, presentation of colors, three rifle volleys, a final roll call, the playing of "Taps" and a moment of silence. Ten active Marines came over from Alameda to participate.

Veterans from Tom Cincotta's unit were to receive copies of a proclamation from the city of San Rafael honoring their effort, prompted by a conversation between Stephanie Cincotta and San Rafael Mayor Al Boro.

Angela Cincotta was only 6 when her brother was killed four days short of his 19th birthday. Tom Cincotta had played on the Marin Catholic High golf team, co-coached his brother's Little League team, built fences and storerooms with his father and worked at Alioto-Lazio Fish Co. in San Francisco with his grandfather, Tom Lazio. But from age 16, "Tommie's goal was to be a Marine," Angela Cincotta said.

The plan was to make the weekend festive for the family and veterans, Stephanie Cincotta said. She intended for it to be a "healing remembrance" because so many Vietnam vets were spat on once they returned to the States. Davis said somebody spat on him right after he landed at Los Angeles International Airport in 1969, and that was the last time he had worn his uniform in public.

"You went on with life and tried to forget it," he said. "I went home and pretended I was normal. I have forgotten way more than I could've ever remembered. The pictures take you back, though."

Shirley's 7,400-mile trip from Afghanistan to San Rafael will be well worth it, he said. He dug fox holes with Cincotta, shared night watch with him and respected him.

"There is a quality that manifests itself in the ability, the willingness to pick up arms and turn and face the sound of battle, and Tom had that quality," Shirley wrote. "Thank God that this nation had men like Tom."

Read more San Rafael stories at the IJ's San Rafael section.

Contact Brent Ainsworth via e-mail at bainsworth@marinij.com

Ellie