PDA

View Full Version : College Grad-Go enlisted?

suten65
06-28-09, 01:54 AM
Howdy Marines,

I'm a 23 year-old college grad who is interested in joining the USMC. I have been blessed with an outstanding work ethic and amazing intelligence but I have always felt that every citizen needs to serve their country. I have worked through an OSO for about the past year only to not be selected for at least 2 OCS classes but have been highly interested for at least a year. I have worked the civilian life for 2 years now but just have no personal satisfaction with my life. I am still interested in enlisting and going to OCS at a later date but worried about my chances and time frame. Are there any programs available to speed up this process? If not, what is a legit, ethical, and honest route to become a leader of Marines climbing the ranks (ie, what rank must I attain before I submit an OCS packet? - please forgive my naive questions)?

I know my heart lies with the USMC. I don't want to look back in 50 years and regret not having performed this enormous endeavour and squandered my youth. My family is definitely less than supportive of me joining as enlisted but please understand that my family's support means a lot to me. Ultimately I understand that this is my decision but I want my family's blessing. Am I alone here? Are there ways to help sooth their worry?

This is the first objective in my life that I've truly wanted for myself and want to obtain. To say that "Yes I wanted it with all my heart and Yes I achieved it." I can go back to school or find a new job when I'm older (God willing) but I know I only have so much time to give my youth to the USMC. Are there other college grads who have then gone enlisted felt the same way?

Your opinions mean a lot to me and I humbly thank you for your time, consideration, and service on my behalf.

Alisium
06-28-09, 01:56 AM
Go enlisted, do your four, increase your marketability to the Officer program then reapply later.

rvillac2
06-28-09, 03:03 AM
Fill out your profile.

stein07
06-28-09, 09:29 AM
Have you asked your OSO these questions? Is it your PFT score? If so, that's easy enough to fix.

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 11:11 AM
While you are filling out ALL of your profile...
read these rules......
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

and then read these rules...........
Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

suten65
06-28-09, 02:29 PM
I fixed all of my profile but let me know if I missed something.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:26 PM
There are several programs for enlisted to go officer, we call it "jumping the fence". I would say go enlisted and put in for the MICEP package or Platoon Leaders course. If you already have a degree and you get through bootcamp, you shouldn't have a problem going commissioned. Also, Officers that were prior enlisted get more respect from both the Enlisted and fellow Officers.

suten65
07-14-09, 01:53 AM
I looked into the MECEP program specifically in pdf and it appears I can't do it having already graduated from college.

I'll be speaking with a recruiter directly about it soon as I can get an appointment.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

GyC
07-14-09, 10:51 AM
I looked into the MECEP program specifically in pdf and it appears I can't do it having already graduated from college.

I'll be speaking with a recruiter directly about it soon as I can get an appointment.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ask about ECP/ MCP (Enlisted Commissioning Program/ Meritorious Commissioning Program)... I believe both would apply to you, provided you qualify at the time of application... Currently you must be a LCpl to apply... I suspect that the PFT or ASVAB was an issue??

suten65
07-14-09, 05:20 PM
Actually my test scores were good enough for me to not having to take the ASVAB. My PFT was a 261 but I ran a 24:27 3 mile so I didn't even contract again. I'm just not a runner.

GyC
07-14-09, 05:40 PM
Actually my test scores were good enough for me to not having to take the ASVAB. My PFT was a 261 but I ran a 24:27 3 mile so I didn't even contract again. I'm just not a runner.

It's usually one or the other... I speak with many college graduates and many are referred to the OSO, however a few we already know won't meet the requirements we speak with about the opportunities that are out there as Enlisted to Officer... The biggest thing about becoming an Officer is management/ leadership... However, you will have the opportunity to lead/ manage at the lowest ranks of the Marine Corps... Good luck with the Recruiter, and the Program you will want to ask about is the ECP (Enlisted Commissioning Program)...