PDA

View Full Version : Questions to resolve colorblind issues

Colome D J
06-27-09, 11:27 PM
Hello Marines, I was hoping to get a straight forward answer from multiple people to answer this question for me once and for all. I know that many of you think that people planning on joining up shouldn't be thinking so much about their MOS but more about boot but I'm just turning 16 and I'm going to sign up after general ed. as a promise to my mother so I have ~4 years before I even sign up. But I am working on boot camp all the same getting in shape and reading boot camp guides from people on the forum. But anyways I have gotten multiple answers to the colorblind issues and I have read many other people asking the same question and getting multiple answers. I've been told that being colorblind keeps you out of things like being a pilot only, then I've heard that it doesn't immediately disqualify you from anything but it makes it harder for you, and I've also heard that it immediately disqualifies you. I'm planning on signing up for a 0321 MOS (that is if I pass quals) will me being colorblind immediately disqualify me from that MOS? I'd appreciate any and all help and thank you all in advance.

thewookie
06-27-09, 11:36 PM
I would think that color blindness in that MOS would be a problem, think about it. Good luck in you pursuit of it. I also think they might stick to that requirement where you might get a waiver for many other things. It's important that a reconnaissance Marine can tell colors, for many reasons.

Colome D J
06-27-09, 11:40 PM
Yes it would seem to be one of the MOSes that you would need to be in tip top condition but I just don't quite understand why colorblindness(or color deficient I'm not sure exactly which I am) is such a big problem when it really doesn't affect you. For instance the only time that my colorblindess has ever affected me was when I went to the docs when I was ~10 and I couldn't find a bunch of dots that made a number 10 within a bunch of other dots.

BR34
06-27-09, 11:41 PM
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 105 or higher.
(2) Must possess a first class swimmer qualification.
(3) Must obtain a first class score on the PFT.
(4) All Marines, to include non-infantry desiring lateral move, must successfully complete the Marine Rifleman Course of instruction prior to attending the Basic Reconnaissance Course.
(5) Assigned as a primary MOS to MGySgt and below 03XX Marines by CMC (MM) and Reconnaissance OccFld Manager (PP and O Code POG), and approved lateral-move Marines from any other MOS, who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
(6) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(7) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm).
(8) Must be medically qualified to perform jump and combatant dive qualifications IAW inter-service requirements established in the P117 Navy Manual of Medicine and Army AR 40-501. Marines assigned 0321 PMOS who become medically unqualified may be directed to Lateral move or be reassigned based on the Commanding Officer, MMEA and HQM recommendations IAW MCO P1000.6.

BR34
06-27-09, 11:43 PM
Yes it would seem to be one of the MOSes that you would need to be in tip top condition but I just don't quite understand why colorblindness(or color deficient I'm not sure exactly which I am) is such a big problem when it really doesn't affect you. For instance the only time that my colorblindess has ever affected me was when I went to the docs when I was ~10 and I couldn't find a bunch of dots that made a number 10 within a bunch of other dots.

I can think of one way it can have a huge impact on you. Maps have COLORS on them!

I'm color blind myself, and because of that I was limited to what jobs I could have. It sucks, but it's for the best.

Anyway you have 6 years before you're going to enlist...anything can change between now and then.

Colome D J
06-27-09, 11:44 PM
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score of 105 or higher.
(2) Must possess a first class swimmer qualification.
(3) Must obtain a first class score on the PFT.
(4) All Marines, to include non-infantry desiring lateral move, must successfully complete the Marine Rifleman Course of instruction prior to attending the Basic Reconnaissance Course.
(5) Assigned as a primary MOS to MGySgt and below 03XX Marines by CMC (MM) and Reconnaissance OccFld Manager (PP and O Code POG), and approved lateral-move Marines from any other MOS, who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
(6) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(7) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance.
(8) Must be medically qualified to perform jump and combatant dive qualifications IAW inter-service requirements established in the P117 Navy Manual of Medicine and Army AR 40-501. Marines assigned 0321 PMOS who become medically unqualified may be directed to Lateral move or be reassigned based on the Commanding Officer, MMEA and HQM recommendations IAW MCO P1000.6.

Yes that is the qualifications that I first saw, but when I searched for 0321/colorblindness I also found this,

The Recon enlistment option is designated UZ. The best chance of getting into Recon is to enlist with a UZ enlistment option contract. This enlistment option guarantees the enlistee the chance at getting into Recon.
Qualifications for this enlistment option include (but may not be limited to):
A GT of 105 or higher
No moral waivers
No drug waivers
Eyesight correctable to 20/20
Not colorblind
The ability to obtain a secret clearance
The UZ enlistment option is available by quota. If the quota has been reached, a recruiter may not be able to offer the UZ option to an enlistee until the next quota period.
In addition to the requirements above, the applicant must:
Complete Boot Camp
1st Class PFT
Score Expert in rifle qualification
Upon graduation of Boot Camp the Marine will attend the School of Infantry (SOI).

After SOI, the Marine will attend the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC). After successful completion of this school the Marine will be assigned the Primary MOS of 0321 - Basic Reconnaissance Marine.
If a Marine fails any of the steps along the way, his contract is modified from UZ to UH as if he had enlisted into Combat Arms (Infantry).

For recruits contracted with the UH enlistment option, it is also possible to volunteer for Recon while attending SOI.

Colome D J
06-27-09, 11:46 PM
I can think of one way it can have a huge impact on you. Maps have COLORS on them!

I'm color blind myself, and because of that I was limited to what jobs I could have. It sucks, but it's for the best.

Anyway you have 6 years before you're going to enlist...anything can change between now and then.

Yes but the colors on every map that I've seen no matter what varients of red/green have all made sense and come together for me. And I was planning on joing up after Highschool but my mother is Christian and I'm not and she want's me to stay a couple more years atleest before she'll support me.

thewookie
06-27-09, 11:47 PM

When you go to MEPS, someday, they will test you for colorblindness, if you pass their test then you are not colorblind by their test, but if you fail, then you ARE color blind by their test. You can argue and debate it until the sun comes up, but if you fail their test -- then it is, what it is.

Colome D J
06-27-09, 11:48 PM
When you go to MEPS they will test you for colorblindness, if you pass then you are not colorblind by their test, but if you fail, then you ARE color blind by their test.

Do the MEPS still use the "Blinking lights" for the colorblind test?

And I apologize for the double posts.

thewookie
06-27-09, 11:52 PM
Do the MEPS still use the "Blinking lights" for the colorblind test?

And I apologize for the double posts.

When you go you'll find out, I couldn't tell you what they test for as I was there almost 20 years ago.

BR34
06-27-09, 11:52 PM
They use the same test you mentioned failing earlier, and a digital test sorta like the eye exam for a driver's license.

And try reading a military map at night, when there's no moon in the sky, while shining a red light on it, AND being color blind.

Petz
06-27-09, 11:54 PM
not as of current, who knows what they will use in 6 years.

and It could be different from one meps to another.

Colome D J
06-28-09, 12:00 AM
I understand what you guys are saying, and I'm guessing that it is more likely that being colorblind will disqualify me than it won't but I am going to try as hard as I can to get in anyway. I'm sorry but I have to get off now I'm trying to keep my scheduale and I have to get up at 0530. I'll be back on tomarrow and hope to read and reply to any other input. Thank you to those that have helped already.

Petz
06-28-09, 12:02 AM
best advice I can give you if you're 100% positive that you're colorblind is to not set your hopes on any one MOS. Keep an open mind about what will be available to you, and if you want the most options I would suggest being smart so you ace the ASVAB...

thewookie
06-28-09, 12:08 AM
I understand what you guys are saying, and I'm guessing that it is more likely that being colorblind will disqualify me than it won't but I am going to try as hard as I can to get in anyway. I'm sorry but I have to get off now I'm trying to keep my scheduale and I have to get up at 0530. I'll be back on tomarrow and hope to read and reply to any other input. Thank you to those that have helped already.

go PT

Lisa 23
06-28-09, 11:02 AM
I understand what you guys are saying

This just irritates the crap out of that some wannabes still call MARINES "you guys'. :mad:
These Marines that have been giving you advice should be addressed as such....MARINES, show some respect, they've EARNED it; or by their user name.........not you guys.

Colome D J
06-28-09, 12:03 PM
I apologize Private First Class, I will refrain from addressing you Marines informally.

To Staff Seargent Petzold,
I am planning on trying to ace the ASVAB, I'm taking general education at a community college ,as a promise to my mom before I sign up, so hopefully that will help me do well on it.

smoking gunz
06-28-09, 08:24 PM
This had been covered many times before. From 2003 when I was at meps I failed the number dot test. They said I was red green colorblind. Meps said I could not be a pilot. Same year went ITB. Was told there By the istructors I could not be a tow gunner or lav. Due to the fact they use heat sensing crap on computers. I chose 0331 and never had an issue reading a map or with anything else. I believe they dont test colorblindnes to get into recon. Meps was the first and last time I took a colorblind test in the corps. Keep in mind there are different levels of colorblindness. Mine was minimal so I never had an issue doing my job. Yours may be severe and would greatly affect your job.

Colome D J
06-28-09, 08:41 PM
Yes I read your response to another persons topic, Colorblindness keeping me out of 03XX I believe. But I get mixed views on how much it will affect you options. It looks to me from the answers in this topic plus those that I have read early that colorblindness may not be an imidiate disqualifications except in the cases like you mentioned. I believe that I have minimal red-green colorblindness, and I hope this won't keep me out of 0321, but since it might I guess I'm just going to have to excell in every other qualification to give me the biggest chance of getting in. Thanks again to everyone that has answered me.