PDA

View Full Version : Marriage in the DEP

Ripoll
06-27-09, 09:51 PM
Hello! I just signed up to ask this question! My ship date is July 27th for Parris Island and my fiancee is a current Marine stationed in camp Lejuene. He has heard rumors that his company will be...

Lisa 23
06-27-09, 10:21 PM
Qualifications. The services require additional paperwork, additional processing, and sometime even waivers for members with dependents. For example, the Air Force requires a credit check for any member who is married or has ever been married. If you're in the Delayed Enlistment Program (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm) (DEP), and decide to get married before shipping out to basic training, you'll want to check with your recruiter to determine (depending on what additional processing is required, and when you're shipping out) if this would possibly delay your shipping date.

Here's the link to the rest of the article........
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/milmarriage.htm

Lisa 23
06-27-09, 10:33 PM
I see from your profile that you are "only" 19.....and you want to get married. May I ask how old is your fiancee?
IMO.....19 is a very young age to get married and they sometimes don't work out.
If I were you, I'd go to boot camp and hopefully get through it, and then when your fiancee comes back from his deployment, then see if marriage is still in the works.
It just seems from the article, that there is too much paperwork to go through that could delay you from going to boot camp on your ship date of 27 July, 2009, and if you really want to go on your original ship date, IMO, marriage can wait.

Petz
06-28-09, 12:07 AM
yeah... I agree with LASWM....

you would need to get everything filled back out and a new DEP contract and what ever else your recruiter needs done... you need to have him sign papers saying you are deployable world-wide... family finacial work-sheet... it WOULD delay your ship date.

look at it another way, you'll be done with MOS school by the time he gets back and life will be dandy.

I know you want to get married so he gets the family sep pay and BAH while he's deployed, if he didn't tell you that then he was planning on keeping it for himself... and if he was planning that then I wouldn't marry him until he gets back in order to teach him a lesson.

CBRN5711Tech
06-28-09, 01:18 AM
Why would you want to get married right before boot camp? You should wait until you can be together for a while. You're going to make yourself miserable if you don't.

Petz
06-28-09, 01:32 AM
read my post.... the reason is probably the guy wanting more money that she doesn't know about...

CBRN5711Tech
06-28-09, 02:01 AM
Getting married right before deployment is so stupid, it makes me angry when Marines do this. Look you may make a couple extra bucks that you are inevitably going to waste that fortune because you are young and don't know how to be wise with money. How would it make you feel if he would rather have money than a honeymoon with you? Does marriage to him mean anything more than a bigger paycheck with no regard to actually being together or is your best interest on his mind? How much does your well being concern him? What are his intentions? I'm not saying that this is the case; just something to think about before tying the knot because marriage is for life.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 09:06 PM
Nowadays Marriage is for a minumum of 1 year. I'd say get married now and take the extra pay. Spend all his money while he's on deployment and then divorce him when he gets back.

Petz
06-28-09, 10:12 PM
or... when he gives you his full power of attorny you can take all his money legally and give it to yourself... create your own bank accounts where you are the only one who has access then take out loans... buy a new car, do a personal loan in his name so the car won't be collateral then buy the car in your name and he's stuck with the bills!

yeah, these are all bad ideas and they have happened to Marines in the past...

one wife even sold all his uniforms and everything else to a pawn shop... even some of his military issue he didn't take with him... then took pictures of her pleasing another guy after she already divorced him using his power of attorny he gave her... she offered to pay herself 1000 a month in alimony because she thought that was reasonable... and with the POA the courts legally had to do it... I don't know how she got it done so fast though... I guess it's cause she could cover both sides...

EDIT: might have been legally seperated at first, but I think she started the divorce with 1000 in alimony... can't remember, it was 6 years ago.