PDA

View Full Version : Quick and simple question

KobraWun
06-27-09, 06:30 PM
Is it possible to live in another country after having served in the Marine Corps? I was wondering if it is possible because some guys get recalled to service after having served in the military. So I figured that joining the military would tie me down to America because they might want to recall me.

Alisium
06-27-09, 06:32 PM
Yeah, people move all over. <br />
<br />
You're supposed to give HQMC your address when you move whilst you're in the IRR so they can contact you. <br />
<br />
99% of Marines are left alone until they recive their...

Phantom Blooper
06-27-09, 08:18 PM
You can live anywhere you want like CPL Alisium said....except the current Communist Countries: China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam. <br />
<br />
I would also say the countries we are at war with or...

KobraWun
06-27-09, 10:43 PM
What is the IRR? Last time I heard that mentioned it stood for Iraq Recall Resisters, guys who were refusing to return to Iraq and active military service.

Lisa 23
06-27-09, 10:55 PM
IRR stands for Individual Ready Reserve.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Ready_Reserve

Alisium
06-27-09, 10:56 PM
So when you enlist you enlist for what's called, 4 x 4 or 5x3 or 6x2. That is you sing to do four, five or six years of active duty (or if you go straight to the reserves it's almost always a six year hitch).

Your contract is for eight years in all actuality. The time left over is the time you are in the IRR or Individual Ready Reserve. That's the time you are mostly a civilian again but are still on contract and the government can call you back in the event of an emergency.

So if you do four years active duty, you'll get out, go back home, be a civillian. However, you are still on contract for another four years and the government can call you back into serivice during that time.

Quinbo
06-28-09, 04:33 AM
Learn something new every day. For years I thought it stood for inactive ready reserve. To add to what has already been stated ... If you re-enlist you erase your IRR requirement. 8 years active duty zeros out the 4 IRR you initially signed for. Same if you did your 4 in the Corps then join another branch, you're off the hook for IRR. I don't know if there is an actual requirement to remain in the US during your IRR time. I believe you just need to keep the Corps informed of your where abouts during your IRR time.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:31 PM
So when you enlist you enlist for what's called, 4 x 4 or 5x3 or 6x2. That is you sing to do four, five or six years of active duty (or if you go straight to the reserves it's almost always a six year hitch).

They never made me sing... Maybe THAT's why I got the five year contract.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:32 PM

They never made me sing... Maybe THATs why I got the 5 year contract.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:33 PM

I never had to sing... is that why I got the 5 year contract?

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 08:36 PM

I never had to sing... is that why I got the 5 year contract? :cool:

Alisium
06-29-09, 08:14 AM
They never made me sing... Maybe THAT's why I got the five year contract.

Recheck your enlistment papers. Everyone has IRR time.

Allthough, anytime you may have spent in the DEP is reduced from your overall contract.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 06:12 PM
Not sign...sing!