PDA

View Full Version : Quantico here I come!

srinaldo86
06-26-09, 03:07 PM
I just got my orders today for Quantico, VA. I'll be leaving Ft. Leonard Wood, MO on July 1st and reporting in ASAP.

I'm going to be Garrison MP (obviously.) I'm really excited to finally get out of student status and do the job I signed up to do.

I realize I'll probably be working the gate for the next year but whatever.

I'm curious if anyone could enlighten me on how Leave&Libo goes for someone arriving at their duty station 2 days before a 96?

usmchauer
06-26-09, 03:41 PM
To answer your last question, I would be prepared for Duty.

Alisium
06-26-09, 03:48 PM
You'll check in, with whomever is open. Then probably stand duty a frew times. Other than that, you'll be off.

srinaldo86
06-26-09, 04:40 PM
I'm always prepared for duty Gents!
I just wanted to find out if I should prepare for time off or not.

Thanks for the replies by the way, either of you stationed now or ever at Quantico?

Alisium
06-26-09, 04:49 PM
The fleet, well you're not really the fleet but the same thing for this conversation, is nothing like schools.

When you're not working, it's your time, unless you're an 03.

srinaldo86
06-26-09, 05:03 PM
My time? What the heck is that!!?? lol...

Can't wait.

GySgtRet
06-26-09, 05:39 PM
Since you are from North Carolina you could probably go home on a 96 or a special liberty pass, or if your SNCOIC or NCIOC deam is that you may go. Security Battalion does more than just cruise the base and post senteries at the gates. If you haven't been to the DC area there is an abundance of things to do and get involved in. If you like PM when you get in I may be able to show you around if you don't have a command sponsorship, I know that probably seems old fashioned but it worked when I was in for my 20 years, just to have somebody show you around. Some of the possible duties are sentry duty at TBS, OCS, you may be assigned to accident investigations. The Security Battalion is also mutual aide to Stafford, Faquer, and Prince William counties that are in the area.

When you arrive at Quantico don't get used to this assignment being the Marine Corps I have seen many a young Marine get involved in some whicked stuff they end up in the brig while listening to "SEA LAWYERS", if one of these are around you will be able to tell becasue they will probably ask you to loan them some money right of the bat. I don't know why they do it but they do. Then they will give you advice even if you don't want it.

Semper Fi and Welcome back to the Marines Corps.

Gunny out
:usmc:

srinaldo86
06-26-09, 08:17 PM
Oorah Gunnery Sergeant!
I had no idea there were so many options available to be assigned to, that's rather motivating.
As far as the mutual aid goes for the surrounding areas does that mean MPs respond to civilian calls?
I'm researching as I ask these questions, and something I just read makes it sound like the MP's receive mutual aid rather than render it. Which would make sense to me being that we only uphold the UCMJ... as far as I know. So much stuff to learn still!

GySgtRet
06-26-09, 08:33 PM
That is presciesly why I posted what I did so that you find out for yourself, remember self reliance it will take you a liong way. There are other details that occur at Quantico. Every 4 years there is a presidential primary. From my time at Quantico I had to give up Marines for Memeorial Day, Inaguration, 4th of July just to name a few. I didn't mind doing my part at that time we were over staffed on purpose to supply Marines for these details things may have changed with the gulf war. In the past two years Marines have deployed from Quantico a selected few hand picked about 250 Marines from what I recall. Security Battalion also furnished for this 6 month deployment. Iw ould rather of furnished my Marines or something like Iraq and Afghanisatan than a parade and gone with them.

Gunny out
:usmc:

Brent2651
06-27-09, 12:23 PM
I'm always prepared for duty Gents!
I just wanted to find out if I should prepare for time off or not.

Thanks for the replies by the way, either of you stationed now or ever at Quantico?

Tough to say, fresh out of school with a skeeter stripe. My first PCS was Camp Courtney, Okinawa in January '87. Instead of going to my assigned duty section, they saw my little skeeter wing and tossed me on generic work details to free up one of their more seasoned Lance Coolies. Expect the unexpected.

For me, Quantico was the "off-ramp" of the Marine Corps. Nice place for an older guy, but a door nail for a youngster. You gotta do some driving to have some real fun.

Williamsburg and Norfolk have things to offer. If you get that full 96 and it is within limits, consider taking a road trip to the Big Apple with some buddies who have been around.

Quantico is kind of dead, but still a great place to be.