PDA

View Full Version : Marine JAG

bella710
06-26-09, 11:36 AM
Good Afternoon,

I'm new to this site and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions I have regarding the Marine JAG program? I'm 20 years old and about to receive my BA in Middle East Studies, but I've been interested in the Marines for years. I would like to learn as much as possible about this program and would be extremely grateful for any advice, stories, or information you could give me. Thank you!

Best Wishes,
Brittney

Petz
06-26-09, 11:46 AM
best thing I can tell you is to contact an officer recruiter in your area... he/she'll give you the low-down on all the questions you are looking for.

other than that, I think one of the officers may be along to add to this.

bella710
06-26-09, 11:50 AM
Thank you for your speedy response, it is greatly appreciated. I do plan on going to meet with a recruiter in my area, but had hoped to get some insight beforehand from someone who had been in the position.

Petz
06-26-09, 12:02 PM
I'm not a member expert but for the most part, the uber active posters have nothing to do with JAG. I'm sure some have some experience with someone from JAG........ but I don't know.

hope someone comes along and helps you out.

Alisium
06-26-09, 12:50 PM
Thank you for your speedy response, it is greatly appreciated. I do plan on going to meet with a recruiter in my area, but had hoped to get some insight beforehand from someone who had been in the position.

Check this site out first.

www.Marineofficer.com (http://www.Marineofficer.com)

Click on the "Request More Info" tab in the upper right hand corner. Fill out your info and someone from the Offier Selection Office (OSO) will contact your shortly.

Do not talk to an enlisted recruiter. Just stay away.

There are special programs for JAG and Air candidates.

Good luck!

SF

GySgtRet
06-26-09, 01:14 PM
Here is the OSO for the DC area. Just follow the link that will get you the contact information.

http://dcmarineofficer.com/introduction.html

Gunny out
:usmc:

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 09:14 PM
I believe that NCIS is what you would be trying to join. There are Marine Corps officers as well as civilians that work this MOS. NCIS stand for Naval Marine Corps Investigative Services. I think JAG is mainly Navy.

Petz
06-28-09, 10:07 PM
doesn't matter... you know what she means...

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 11:20 PM
Her favorite color is pink... wtf...

skipper72
06-29-09, 06:26 AM
Suggested:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerj3/a/4402.htm

Alisium
06-29-09, 08:09 AM
I believe that NCIS is what you would be trying to join. There are Marine Corps officers as well as civilians that work this MOS. NCIS stand for Naval Marine Corps Investigative Services. I think JAG is mainly Navy.

Negative,

NCIS is a law enforcement entity. Same as any other police or investigative force from local to federal. The Marine Corps also has it's own plain clothes investigative service. What it is called, though, I forget. And wether it's subordinate to the NCIS, I can't say either.

JAG is the actual judiciary, prosecutorial and legal counsel for the military. Each branch has their own. They handle everything from court martials to notorizing your will.

There is a special program for Marine JAG officer candidates.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 06:49 PM
Wish I knew that earlier. Maybe some of my Marines wouldn't have been demoted if they had actual legal counsel. I guess that's what happens when you screw up on the weekend and get your NJP on Monday.

Zulu 36
06-29-09, 07:17 PM
Negative,

NCIS is a law enforcement entity. Same as any other police or investigative force from local to federal. The Marine Corps also has it's own plain clothes investigative service. What it is called, though, I forget. And wether it's subordinate to the NCIS, I can't say either.

JAG is the actual judiciary, prosecutorial and legal counsel for the military. Each branch has their own. They handle everything from court martials to notorizing your will.

There is a special program for Marine JAG officer candidates.

The Marine MP equivalent is Criminal Investigation Division (CID). It is a secondary MOS within the MP field and requires time on the job as a regular MP before you can qualify to apply.

To kind of break it down roughly, in the Corps, CID primarily investigates what civilian cops call misdemeanors. NCIS comes in for the felonies. CID may assist NCIS on serious crimes and would be subordinate in those cases.

NCIS is not at all like one sees on the TV show - by no means close. When I was in, it was NIS, and most of the criminal investigators were former or retired civilian police detectives.The civilian investigators were generally pretty good. The Naval officer investigators generally were not very good (due to lack of "street time" primarily).

In my day, NIS also did counterintelligence work and enlisted Marine CI agents were frequently assigned to NIS to work in field offices with a large Marine Corps presence (such as at Camp Pendleton, Lejuene, Okinawa, etc).

Unfortunately, a lot of that has changed, and as a result NCIS is full of politically correct dummies these days.

Phantom Blooper
06-29-09, 07:20 PM
Contact this Marine Lt....he is a JAG reserve officer.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=22209

:evilgrin:

Zulu 36
06-29-09, 07:29 PM
Wish I knew that earlier. Maybe some of my Marines wouldn't have been demoted if they had actual legal counsel. I guess that's what happens when you screw up on the weekend and get your NJP on Monday.

You do not have to accept NJP until you have had an opportunity to speak with legal counsel. Your command cannot force you to accept NJP in any case. They may have to wait until the next week to give you office hours, but stuff happens.

Now, is accepting NJP a good idea? Sometimes it is; especially since conviction by a special or general court martial is considered to be the legal equivalent of being convicted of a felony in a civilian court. If the CM can put you in the brig for more than one-year, it's a felony. Whether they do or not is immaterial - just that they could. Not a nice thing for your future resume.

NJP is just that, non-judicial. Once you get out, it is a past-tense as far as your record is concerned. A CM conviction follows you forever.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 07:38 PM
Most of these guys get hit for underage drinking and being out past midnight.

Zulu 36
06-29-09, 08:07 PM
Most of these guys get hit for underage drinking and being out past midnight.

That is an Article 92(1) hit and a CM could give two-years in the can for that. So it would be a felony if a Marine demanded a CM and was convicted. Sounds like NJP is a good deal for one's future life.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 08:11 PM
Yeah, that's what I tell them as well, but maybe if they had some real legal advice as opposed to my semi-retarded ass giving them advice they could figure out how to keep their rank. Okinawa is not a good first duty station, so these kids find themselves doing the same stuff we do in that states, but it becomes an international incident, not to mention all the liberty restrictions on E-3 and below.

Zulu 36
06-29-09, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that's what I tell them as well, but maybe if they had some real legal advice as opposed to my semi-retarded ass giving them advice they could figure out how to keep their rank. Okinawa is not a good first duty station, so these kids find themselves doing the same stuff we do in that states, but it becomes an international incident, not to mention all the liberty restrictions on E-3 and below.

I'd keep advising them to see a JAG, but he'll just tell them the same thing. Maybe the JAG will have a good way to say "I'm sorry and it won't happen again" that works, but I doubt it.

I knew a major (mustang), who used to tell everyone up in front of him for office hours, "I didn't write the book on bullsh*tting, but I did write one of the chapters. Now go ahead with your side of the story."

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 08:25 PM
I love Mustangs! They've got the same mentality as us enlisted but the political power of an Officer. Maybe one day I'll go Commissioned...