PDA

View Full Version : You say luh-ZHUNE ... but the Lejeunes don't

thedrifter
06-26-09, 07:05 AM
You say luh-ZHUNE ... but the Lejeunes don't
BY MARTHA QUILLIN, Staff Writer

As many as a million people have lived or worked on what most of them called Marine Corps Base Camp luh-ZHUNE since it opened in 1942. Come to find out, many of them weren't where they thought they were.

That sprawling Marine Corps base in Jacksonville, the one named after the Greatest of All Leathernecks, John Archer Lejeune?

It's not luh-ZHUNE , or even luh-JUNE, says a retired Marine who is on a mission to correct the slack-jawed pronunciation he says has corrupted the great major general's surname.

It is, he says, luh-JERN.

"People have spent their whole lives saying the 'june' word," said Patrick Brent, 66, who can't bring himself to repeat the blasphemous error. "And it's wrong. It's incontrovertible."

Brent has come all the way to Jacksonville from his home in Hawaii to tutor reporters and public affairs officers on base today in the proper pronunciation. He doesn't know how it happened, but sometime after he got out of the Marines in 1967, people started getting assigned to a base in Jacksonville that sounds like it was named for a Frenchman.

Lejeune's ancestors were from Switzerland, Brent says, and when they settled in Louisiana and introduced themselves, it was as le-JERNs. Brent doesn't know why they would pronounce a French-language name that way, but he says it was their choice.

Brent is a friend of the family, whose descendants support his efforts, though they let it slide when people botch the name to their faces.

"Our family holds the hope that the family name would once again be spoken correctly throughout the United States Marine Corps," John Lejeune of Baton Rouge writes in a letter that Brent carries with him when he travels.

Brent launched the campaign a year or so ago, saying it was an issue of respect due the World War I officer who is credited with saving the Marine Corps from being turned into a little police division of the Navy. Brent's argument gained steam after he wrote an article for Leatherneck magazine last year and another author did a piece for Marine Corps Times.

Jeanette Walks, who works the front desk at the Comfort Suites in Jacksonville, a few miles from the main entrance to the base, missed those.

"Luh-JERN?" she said, trying to get her mouth around it. "That's the first I've heard of that."

Walks grew up in Jacksonville, and says she's never heard anyone use that pronunciation, including the many Louisianans who have stayed at the hotel.

If the Marines want to change it, she said, "I think people would try to do it, but it would still come out as luh-JUNE."

The commanding officer of the base reportedly says luh-JERN. He's Col. Richard P. Flatau Jr.

That's FLA-toe. We think.

martha.quillin@newsobserver .com or 919-829-8989

Ellie

Isrowei
06-26-09, 07:14 AM
I think if people called me "Nees-lee" enough, especially many many years after I died, I wouldn't care.

I learned it as "Leh-JUNE" so ... that's the way I say it. Frankly, with all the other issues the Marine Corps faces... is this really the battle worth fighting?

Hardly.

DocGreek
06-26-09, 10:17 AM
HA! HA! HA! HA!....That's like Pierre N/S Dak.(?) pronounced "PEER"!!....Or how about Cairo (Ill.??) pronounced "KAYRO"!! LeJune...IS a French, or French/Canadian name...pronounce it HOWEVER YOU WISH!!! It's that BIG SWAMP in the Carolina's!!!

Supersquishy
06-26-09, 10:21 AM
I'm going to go Doc' on this and say WHO...!! GIVES... A... FUKCING SH!T!!(??)...!!!

thedrifter
06-26-09, 10:24 AM
HA! HA! HA! HA!....That's like Pierre N/S Dak.(?) pronounced "PEER"!!....Or how about Cairo (Ill.??) pronounced "KAYRO"!! LeJune...IS a French, or French/Canadian name...pronounce it HOWEVER YOU WISH!!! It's that BIG SWAMP in the Carolina's!!!

Hey I live there....;):D

Ellie

06-26-09, 11:11 AM
I just say, "Swamp Lagoon," and Marines understand.

Andy Saunders
07-02-09, 09:57 PM
You say Pa ta toe I say Pe ta toe, I was stationed at Lejeune on Onslow Beach that's On Slow for 3 1/2 years. We all called it La June. "What's in a name if for the name it's self."

Shrink
07-26-09, 05:47 PM
The pronunciation of "Lejeune" (which in French means The Young) for many years set the "salts" apart from the late comers. During WW II when thousands of young Marines went through Phases I and II of the Infantry Training Regiment at what we then called "Tent City." Chesty had just assumed command of the Regiment when my recruit platoon reported there for schooling in late '44. (As some of you know, Chesty was "Relieved for Cause" of the 1st Marines on Peleliu in September '44.)

Those of us of that vintage pronounced the name properly....as "Le Jern." I noted that it was not until the late 40s that the common pronunciation was changed to what is now the usual...."Lejune." Those of us from the "old school" frequently made it a point to give the camp the "Le Jern" pronunciation because it marked us as being "salty."

When I moved to Minnesota in 1970 I couldn't believe how the locals butchered the names such as "Monticello," and "New Prague." Sort of like here in Texas where, as in Mexico, there are many towns and villages named "Refugio." Most Texans, even those of Hispanic descent pronounce it as though it was an English word. This causes a certain amount of confusion since when I'd tell someone that I drove through "Refuhio" when I journeyed to Corpus Christi they would look puzzled indeed.

But as Andy said above: "You say Pa ta toe I say Pe ta toe, I was stationed at Lejeune on Onslow Beach that's On Slow for 3 1/2 years. We all called it La June. "What's in a name if for the name it's self."

NexProGen
08-11-09, 06:05 AM
Nice history lesson thanks...