View Full Version : 'Adopted' Marine pays a visit to his family of 11-year-olds

thedrifter
07-22-03, 09:55 AM
'Adopted' Marine pays a visit to his family of 11-year-olds
Iraq veteran repays soccer team's act of kindness
By Monica Polanco

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, July 21, 2003

The 11-year-old boys, who thought they were at a soccer party, watched Sunday as the true reason behind their outing emerged.

As the U.S. Marine stepped out of the red Ford pickup at Trailhead Park in far North Austin, his gleaming white garrison cap caught the boys' eyes, and they knew. Staff Sgt. Michael Turcotte, the soldier they had adopted during Operation Iraqi Freedom, had come to meet them.

"I never knew he would come," said Zach Horton, a member of the '92 Super II Warriors. Horton, who came dressed in his soccer uniform, said he felt honored by Turcotte's visit, "because he's kind of important."

Turcotte drove about 1,300 miles from his post in Bogue Field, N.C., to meet the boys and their parents, who mailed Turcotte letters, pictures and 85 pounds worth of toiletries, canned goods and toys in February. Turcotte gave the boys Marine Corps coins and told them about the 130-degree heat in Iraq, the blinding sandstorms and the 22 awards pinned to his uniform.

"It was the least I could do," said Turcotte, 34. "I'm just a person that was doing a job, but these people went out of their way."

Shawn Hancock, one of the soccer parents, said she felt the same way about Turcotte, who had changed into his uniform and shined his shoes to make himself look "presentable."

"It's just so cool that he took the time out of his schedule to come and meet the boys," said Hancock, who later asked for permission to hug the Marine and stood on her tiptoes to wrap her arms around the 6-foot-3-inch man. He gave her a Marine Corps flag.

Hancock, whose brother served during the Persian Gulf War, decided to adopt Turcotte after visiting www.operation militarypride.org. The Web site's moderator suggested adopting Turcotte because he has family in Texas, and Hancock began e-mailing his sister, Danielle Hinson, who lives in Fort Worth.

About a week ago, Hinson told Hancock that her brother wanted to meet the boys. They kept it a secret from the kids, some of whom wept as they wrote Turcotte letters earlier this year.

Hinson and her mother, Ellen Rosekrans, accompanied Turcotte and watched, cameras ready, as he walked toward the pavilion where the boys stood and identified himself.

Rosekrans struggled to contain her emotion. "I'm so proud of these people that took the time to care for my son and all the other guys," she said.

mpolanco@statesman.com; 445-3630

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/auto/epaper/editions/today/metro_state_f3b119baa302603d007c.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: