PDA

View Full Version : Question on dress blues

muck
06-25-09, 03:24 PM
Just wondering - I always thought that medals or ribbons were required when wearing blues - am I wrong.
A friend took some pics of her son at graduation in blues and he is not wearing any. He was issued the National Defense. Before I bust on him about it just wanted to make sure that is the regs.
Thanks and SF
Muck

stein07
06-25-09, 03:25 PM
If it is his boot camp photograph, you don't wear ribbons in those. If it is after grad, I have no clue why he would have done that.

killbodies3027
06-25-09, 03:38 PM
So wait, you want to "bust on" someone for something when you don't even know for sure yourself? Awesome.

muck
06-25-09, 05:36 PM
So wait, you want to "bust on" someone for something when you don't even know for sure yourself? Awesome.

I just can't seem to keep up with all the changes anymore in bootcamp.
It sure isn't the same as when I went through in '69'.
I was just wondering if maybe they changed the regs - never know anymore.
I think the pic was in a motel room with his mother and I mentioned to her that I thought he was out of uniform.
Her response was that he only did what he was told?
Thought I should check to see if anything had changed since my day.

Supersquishy
06-25-09, 05:40 PM
He probably didnt have time to go out and buy the Ribbon and backing in time for the Pics.:nerd:

killbodies3027
06-25-09, 05:51 PM
I just can't seem to keep up with all the changes anymore in bootcamp.
It sure isn't the same as when I went through in '69'.
I was just wondering if maybe they changed the regs - never know anymore.
I think the pic was in a motel room with his mother and I mentioned to her that I thought he was out of uniform.
Her response was that he only did what he was told?
Thought I should check to see if anything had changed since my day.

Ah, fair enough.

muck
06-25-09, 06:06 PM
He probably didnt have time to go out and buy the Ribbon and backing in time for the Pics.:nerd:

I would have thought that also, however, he is wearing it in another photo while wearing alfa's.

ColdBlooded
06-25-09, 07:49 PM
I don't care if the president told me to put on my Dress Blues without ribbons, I would rather be disscharged then be out of uniform, that's just me though. :beer:

stein07
06-26-09, 04:55 PM

Kind of like how you just busted on him for asking a simple question?? Maybe, that's why he asked here before he approached this young Marine.

Achped
06-26-09, 05:13 PM
Both of them?

muck
06-26-09, 09:11 PM
Kind of like how you just busted on him for asking a simple question?? Maybe, that's why he asked here before he approached this young Marine.

Thanks Stein - If you notice he never did answer the question - Maybe he didn't know the answer - or just plain wanted to disrespect an older Marine.
He'll grow up, EVENTUALLY.
SF,
Muck

polizei
06-27-09, 02:28 PM
Dress Blue Alphas - Medals only
Dress Blue Bravos - Ribbons and Badges only

He is required to wear the ribbons and badges while in Bravos. The only time (to my knowledge) that you would wear Alpha's is to the Marine Corps Ball or unless the CO (?) authorizes it for an event.

At least, that's what I learned...and that's what it says in my bootcamp knowledge.

-PFC Meyer

ELTOROLOCO
06-29-09, 08:44 PM
Ahh, if any ever get the chance to do a color guard, that requirement will change. Lastly, if he took a picture in his room, with his mom, just after he graduated boot camp, you'd think it would be understandable. I'd stay away from going D.I. on him.

Sergeant M
06-29-09, 09:04 PM
Mess Night! :beer:

CalahanD
07-02-09, 07:37 AM
He should have the ribbon because in bootcamp they make you buy it...I dont see why he wouldnt wear it or why the Drill Instructors would tell him not to. I thank he is out of uniform most likely.

Chumley
07-02-09, 08:52 AM
I beleive the actual question is: Do you HAVE to wear all the ribbons/medals which you rate?

I looked up MCO P1020.34F:

5301. WEARING RIBBONS. (See fig. 5-5)
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/Fig5-5_small.gif (http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/images/URFigs/Fig5-5.gif)1. Marines will wear all ribbons to which they are entitled on service and dress "B" coats. Ribbons will be worn on the dress "A" coats only as authorized in paragraph 5202 (http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCH5.htm#ur5202).
2. When the blue dress "C"/"D" or service "B"/"C" uniforms are worn the wearing of ribbons on khaki shirts is at the individual's option unless the commander prescribes that ribbons be worn. If ribbons are worn on these uniforms, either all ribbons, or personal U.S. decorations with U.S. unit awards and the Good Conduct Medal, may be worn at the individual's option.

Based upon the above, and the scenario of Muck's friend, since the friend was wearing Blues ( A or B ) the medal or ribbon is required, and he was therefore out of uniform for not wearing the NDSM. Some ribbons become optional only if wearing no jacket, however "personal U.S. decorations with U.S. unit awards and the Good Conduct Medal" are required.

I defer to uniform experts which I am not to validate I am translating this correctly.

SFi
C

boomer56328
07-02-09, 10:16 AM
Do they automatically give the national defense now because they didn't when I went through boot?

polizei
07-03-09, 09:59 AM
Yes they do, it's called the "Firewatch" ribbon now Cpl, because everyone gets it without doing anything, and all you do in boot is stand firewatch, hence the name.

-Cody