PDA

View Full Version : New orleans reservist???

spartan1371
06-25-09, 12:56 PM
I live in pensacola florida, just recently joined the reserves, i was a former combat engineer on active duty from 2003-2007 took a two year break and recently joined the 6174 MOS, God willing ill make it through that tough school, from what the prior service recruiter has told me thus far, i will be opperating in New Orleans JRB or Belle chasse. I was Curious if any other Marines on this forum were from that unit and could tell me more about the the drill weekends or squadrons present there, nothing regarding OPSEC, but just some basic knowledge of what to expect going in, and if they enjoyed the decision of going into the reserves and working that area.

Thanks... and looking for any responses on the matter!

:usmc:THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE MARINES!:usmc:

killbodies3027
06-25-09, 01:18 PM
Interesting that you should bring this up because I was about to make a thread about the serves. I've been out since 2007 as well and am starting to get the itch to re-up.

What's the process like having to re-enlist for the reserves and all that jazz? I was planning on just staying in infantry so I didn't have to go to a school again.

Ultimately my goal is to just stay in the reserves until I graduate college and then apply for commission.

killbodies3027
06-25-09, 01:31 PM
I don't want to hijack your thread so if anyone is willing to give me some details on the re-upping process for the reserves pm me, I'd appreciate it.

And yes I've contacted a recruiter, they just take forever to respond.

BR34
06-25-09, 04:35 PM
Belle Chase is actually about 45 min south of the city. There's new housing on base (cpl years old) and good on base schools. Don't know crap about how the reserves or drills work though.

JRB I believe is directly across the river from MEPS, which is in the 9th Ward. Get your CCW permit.

spartan1371
06-26-09, 12:03 PM
as long as your within Marine corps physical fitness regs...height and weight. its very easy, just make sure you have a good reenlistment code at the bottom of your dd-214 a re1 is perfect 2 and 3's make it more difficult, i know in the south east US, operations said there hurting for reservist they have alot of slots open so all you should have to do is call the recruiter and he will make the arrangements. I miss putting foot to A** for my country too! and to be honest this decision of re-enlisting into the reserves was easier then figurin out what to have for lunch today!!! Im sure youll be happy with the choice, its rewarding , you can do as much or as little as you like. However im going in 220%. Any other questions or need help finding some info just PM me or ask me here, GOOD luck making your decision and happy hunting!:usmc:

Supersquishy
06-26-09, 12:27 PM
Hey Spartan1371, quick question, Im working on getting back in this time reserves, what happens if for some odd reason (emergency) that I cannot make that drill weekend? Do I make it up the following weekend or what? If I can make it up can I request a weekend slated for drill to go on leave just in case?

PS if there hurting for Reservist, they sure dont act like they do, sh1t its been 3 months now.
Im on the opposite side of you by the way, down in the Keys.

spartan1371
06-28-09, 06:05 AM
Hey buddy. If your Re code is good, and the scores from the ASVAB match what you want then i dont understand why they're taking there time. To answer your question, not speaking from experience, but my ace in the hole is i know plenty of Marine reservist here, their statement is if for some reason you cant make a drill weekend you can make that time up later. It's much more relaxed.

stein07
06-28-09, 10:44 AM
Hey buddy. If your Re code is good, and the scores from the ASVAB match what you want then i dont understand why they're taking there time. To answer your question, not speaking from experience, but my ace in the hole is i know plenty of Marine reservist here, their statement is if for some reason you cant make a drill weekend you can make that time up later. It's much more relaxed.

You better have a darn good reason for missing, though, and it has to be cleared in advance unless it is a legitimate emergency, of course. "Oh, that's my annual golf weekend" isn't an acceptable reason. You can't reschedule drill weekends around your life; you have to schedule your life around drill weekends. I suppose the flexibility depends on your command as well. Rarely is the I & I staff ever sympathetic of reservists because they believe that we only work 2 days a month.

ELTOROLOCO
06-29-09, 08:12 PM
"Rarely is the I & I staff ever sympathetic of reservists because they believe that we only work 2 days a month."

I & I Staff here, rarely is the reservist ever sympathetic that we work the other 28 days of the month for the reservist to work those 2 days.

Lastly, it's typically the Company First Sergeant (reservist) that authorizes RIDT for reserve Marines. I do agree it always has to be a legitimate reason. <!-- / message -->

stein07
06-30-09, 06:17 AM
I & I Staff here, rarely is the reservist ever sympathetic that we work the other 28 days of the month for the reservist to work those 2 days.<!-- / message -->

If you are making a statement about reservists not appreciating the work the I&I staff does for them, I'll give you that.

What always burned me was being chewed out for "not working" all month long. Yes, reservists only work for the USMC two days a month (unless they are in a leadership billet which requires prior planning and communication). However, most of us do have full time jobs away from the Corps.

Golly gee, we work all month long just like the I&I staff. It absolutely made me raving mad when I&I Marines (usually SNCO's) talked about us sitting on the couch the other 28 days just waiting for drill to come around, so we can work again. It's hard to believe, but civilian jobs require work as well.

Supersquishy
06-30-09, 06:34 AM
What is I&I?

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 06:35 AM
Inspector Intstructor. They are the active duty Marines that work at a reserve unit.

Supersquishy
06-30-09, 06:38 AM
Inspector Intstructor. They are the active duty Marines that work at a reserve unit.

Thanks. Can a Reserve Marine request I&I if they want to go AD?

ArtyOps
06-30-09, 06:42 AM
Thanks. Can a Reserve Marine request I&I if they want to go AD?

That is a very good question that I hope someone can answer for you. I doubt it as that is a sought after billet among active duty Marines, often chosen as duty station preference among re-enlisting Marines.

ELTOROLOCO
06-30-09, 11:29 PM
"It absolutely made me raving mad when I&I Marines (usually SNCO's) talked about us sitting on the couch the other 28 days just waiting for drill to come around, so we can work again."

Ehh, that IS NOT the case. You might be talking about one or two SNCO's, and there could be circumstances surrounding that conversation. In general, there are 3 things reserve Marines do the other 28 days(my platoon),they work, go to school, or stay at home. Trust me on this one, we know reserve Marines have lives outside of the Corps, just as we do when the work day ends.

"Can a Reserve Marine request I&I if they want to go AD?"

If the Reserve Center Table of Organization rates the reserve Marines MOS as an I&I billet(and the Marine meets requirements), the reserve Marine can put in a package for the Active Reserve program and be stationed there. It's not a bad deal at all but be prepared to be sent somewhere else by your MOS monitor after your time at the location is up.