PDA

View Full Version : Failed Hearing Test ( Info on Hearing Tests)

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 03:43 AM
I failed my hearing test at MEPS. I got in on a Waiver and I swear in July 13th. This is just for those who want info on what my hearing was like, and if you think you have a chance and getting a waiver also.

Make no mistake, Hearing is Important. Put down the Ipods, and all that for at LEAST a week before you go to MEPS, or if they give you a Consult like they did me.

I failed the consult as well, but I did get in on a waiver. My waiver the first time came back incomplete, they wanted speech discrimination at 40db. Pay attention to your tests, and you will know what Im talking about. I passed the speech discrimination, just not the tones.

My hearing results for both the MEPS and Consult are near as follows,

at 1000 it was around 0-10.
at 2000 it was around 0-10
at 3000 it was around 0-10
at 4000 it was around 0-10
These are all normal frequencies. Which is why I think the waiver was Granted. Im giving you my results in hopes you are somewhat similar and you can Compare to mine. If you did slightly better than me, yet failed, I dont see why you wouldnt get the waiver. If you did little worse, dont sweat it. But if you are WAY worse than what I have here, Im sorry. Just be patient as you never know what can happen.

They also test you at 5000, and 6000. Hear is where I failed. It dropped sharply to 45-60.

Then they test you with words in your ears, instead of tones. You need to repeat the words. I did all of them. Passed. Waiver came back granted.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 08:27 AM
You're going to gain hearing loss anyways as a Marine. Those high level tones (5000,6000) are really high up there anyways. Good for ignoring your current girlfriend/ex-wife screaming anways.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 08:28 AM
I just realized that I say "anyways" alot.... anyways.

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 02:19 PM
Ha. Hows Okinawa. I was hoping I could get Japan as my duty station lol.

Lisa 23
06-25-09, 02:23 PM
Ha. Hows Okinawa. I was hoping I could get Japan as my duty station lol.
How about worrying about getting through Boot Camp first.
Don't make it through Boot Camp, don't have to worry about what duty station the Marine Corps will send you to.

thewookie
06-25-09, 02:24 PM
HUH -- What did you ask?

What is your question or is this just some food for thought?

I failed the last few years worth of hearing tests they gave me.

Especially in my right ear.

HUH, WTF did you say?:call:

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 02:31 PM
How about worrying about getting through Boot Camp first.
Don't make it through Boot Camp, don't have to worry about what duty station the Marine Corps will send you to.

Yeah your right. And yes this was just food for thought. I was looking all over the place once I failed my hearing test to see if I could find something to compare my test to. Didnt find anything. Im hoping this will help others.

Petz
06-25-09, 02:49 PM
um, ... we're all Marines already... we don't need to worry about hearing tests to get in the Corps...

thanks for the info as our Corpsman explain this stuff to us when we get them anyways.

stay vigilant.

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 02:56 PM
Im just saying, Its possible some kid will go through the same thing eventually. Stroll on here looking for answers, and BAM. Here it is.

thewookie
06-25-09, 03:05 PM
BAM, here it iz, and you say goddamm this is a dope jam.

Petz
06-25-09, 04:12 PM
haha...

good info, but you should pass it on to a poolee so they can post it in the poolee hall, the ask a Marine forum rotates threads every few months where you'll never see this after a certain time period.

Enrique2010
06-26-09, 05:40 AM
Ill be considered a Poole once I swear in July 13th when I get back from Vacation. I will repost it.

commdog7
06-26-09, 06:26 AM
No need to repost it, this was a waste of thread.

No one cares what your test results were. If another poolee goes to MEPS and finds out they have difficulties hearing certain frequencies, they will learn about the waiver from the docs and apply for it. Most people with hearing problems don't realize they have the problems until they get tested. And if they do know they have hearing problems before getting tested, then they will be disqualified from the Corps because they have some serious hearing problems. As I stated, this is useless information that no one cares about, so run along and come back if you have a legitimate question you want to 'ask a Marine'.

Sergeant M
06-28-09, 09:18 PM
I have a few Marines that aced their hearing test, but still don't listen worth a ****.

Enrique2010
07-01-09, 08:42 PM

No one cares what your test results were. If another poolee goes to MEPS and finds out they have difficulties hearing certain frequencies, they will learn about the waiver from the docs and apply for it. Most people with hearing problems don't realize they have the problems until they get tested. And if they do know they have hearing problems before getting tested, then they will be disqualified from the Corps because they have some serious hearing problems. As I stated, this is useless information that no one cares about, so run along and come back if you have a legitimate question you want to 'ask a Marine'.

Its funny you say this because i've countless AIMS and Messages asking me. lol. I had a previous post, a while back, stating that I failed my hearing test and if anyone had advice or anything on wiavers for hearing. I Posted this and have a few responses from people thanking me. So thanks for the hating. Motivates me even more;)

Petz
07-01-09, 08:48 PM
and your smart ass remark only fuels our hating towards your little insubordinate punk ass.

keep that trash up and you'll enjoy boot camp.

sometimes it's best just to shut the fvck up and take the remarks of your seniors... both in rank and age.

Enrique2010
07-01-09, 08:52 PM
Ill take that into consideration when im actually IN. Im still a civilian. But i did nothing to receive his smart ass remarks either. Im a human being regardless of how old he is compared to me. and for you for that matter.

But dont worry, when I get to bootcamp, I'll have the up most respect for my superiors. Make no mistake about that.

Petz
07-01-09, 08:55 PM
kid, I'd suggest you get lost from this site. I want you to read the poolee and Marine friend rules. This site isn't here for YOU...

I hope you make it, but until then... fvck off... I really don't have the patience right now for smart asses like you.

Enrique2010
07-01-09, 08:56 PM

And another thing. When I found out I failed my hearing test, I was sweating bullets for 2 months until I finally got the word. Seeing that I got the waiver granted, people can compare the results to mine and not stress so much if their hearing is on par with mine. I really want to be a Marine, so the stress I was going through was hard to deal with until I found out. Almost unhealthy. regardless if this doesnt help out EVERYONE, it will help SOMEONE.

Enrique2010
07-01-09, 08:57 PM
Ok im sorry for the insubordination. Forgive me.

Petz
07-01-09, 09:01 PM
I will, because that's all I'm getting from you.

and there is no 'regardless of "rules" '. YOU need to follow them just like everyone else, you are not special, you are a guest on leatherneck.com.

this forum 'ask a Marine' is for poolees to "ask a Marine" not for you to post YOUR knowledge... find a place that you belong and stay there.

EDIT: I hope this clarified why you got talked to the way you were...

Enrique2010
07-01-09, 09:05 PM
Yes, My apologies. I was just hoping to help someone else that was in the same situation I was in. I received alot of stress due to waiting and not knowing. It was unhealthy. Though I do understand where you are coming from, I hope you can comprehend my side as well.

commdog7
07-01-09, 10:42 PM
Did I get a sex change that I don't know about?

If you are so determined to become a Marine, maybe you should watch who you p!ss off. Your hearing problem isn't the only thing that can prevent you from earning the title, your attitude and respect issues can ensure you never make it to graduation. Tread lightly, you are walking on egg shells.