PDA

View Full Version : My Experience Joining the Marine Corps.

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 03:34 AM
Well, it started back in 2006. My 1st year of college, 2nd semester and I was fuzzy on what I was doing with my life. I went to join the Corps. Well, the recruiter I had then, Staff Seargent Pallerez came on WAY too strong. He showed up at my job, my work, school, all that. lol. I was already nervous and him pushing me didnt help. I guess I wasnt 100% sure about joining. So I ended up ignoring him after that.

Went on, dropped out of school, due to family, and personal issues. The next 2 years sucked. I worked my ass off, was depressed I wasnt doing anything with my life. My loving cousin invited me out to San Diego California. Her dad, my uncle, is a retired Gunnery Sgt in the Corps. She works on MCAS Miramar at the SemperFit Gym. She landed me a job here and vowed to help me get back into school. I planned on going to school. So here it was, just 8 months ago I arrived here in SD. Being in a gym full of Marines, I even noticed the commoradory. (spelling?). I started reseaching the internet again, looking at Marine Videos, talking with Marines at the gym. Once again I was stuck on joining the Marines. Months went by, and I was wanting to join badly. I finally worked up enough courage to see a Marine Recruiter.

Things started out great. Called my family back home in Indiana. Let them know what I was doing. To my suprise, they supported me. I took the ASVAB right way. Scored a 50. In highschool, I scored a 95. BIG difference but I think since I was out of school for so long, I was rusty. Nonetheless, I qualified for the MOS's I could possibly want, so I didnt retake. Then here comes the physical. I aced everything. Except the hearing test. this was end of April. I was told, I would need a waiver. :(. waited 2 whole months with no word. The waiver came back incomplete. I had to do more testing. I did it, resent the waiver. I have never in my life, encountered so much stress and depression. Those whole 2 months of working with Marines, watching my dreams dwindle before my eyes. Here it is now June 24th 2009. I got the word yesterday. IM IN! I have never been so proud in my LIFE! I honestly feel like Will Smith when he lands that stock borker job in the movie "Persuit of Happyness". My recruiter calls, says "Hey Enrique, I have news for you man, Your In. Congratulations". This is the first time I Have cried. I was so happy, and my dreams are coming true. Make no mistake, Ive heard about how mentally and physically challenging BootCamp is. I want this so bad, I wont let anything stop me. I want to Earn the Title. I want to know what it feels like to walk with other Marines. I swear in July 13th when I come back from vacation. Im just so happy. I will do whatever it takes, no matter how hard, I will NOT give up. Neither shall you. Shall anyone need assistance while Im around, just know that my hand will always be there for you to grasp. Thanks for your time. Im just so relieved, honored, and proud of being given this opportunity. I know im talking like im already in, Im not. Anything can happen. But I promise you this, Nothing except God will stop me from Trying.

Quinbo
06-25-09, 04:23 AM
Where is your question?

JoeInVille
06-25-09, 04:38 AM
You motivate me Enrique, RAHH

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 04:40 AM
Sorrry, lol. This is just the best place to post something like this.

Enrique2010
06-25-09, 04:42 AM
Thank you. Its actually a BIG thanks to my recruiter Sgt Hunt, along with ALL the Marines I see in the gym EVERYDAY.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 08:14 AM
You've got the right attitude. I'm sure that you'll succeed not only in the Marine Corps, but with the rest of your life. Meritorious everything rah?