PDA

View Full Version : Can you shoot pistol and rifle with different hands?

mcdowell9
06-24-09, 11:45 PM
I am left handed and right Eye dominant.
Are recruits REQUIRED to shoot with both eyes open for rifle qual?
I just recently checked this and found out I am right Eye dominant. I thought the reason most people closed their eyes while shooting was because of the conflicting image. But I noticed if I aim with my right hand there is no conflicting image. With my left I usually just naturally close my eye but I can very very slight squint and its fine.
How does this work for pistols??
since many recruits are trained with no prior experience I am sure I could be trained to shoot right handed, it just feels really odd to me. shooting left handed feels very comfortable. Maybe I would feel fine after getting used to it (after all guitar felt REALLY weird at first, just like holding a gun right handed does.)
Are you allowed to shoot a rifle left handed and shoot a pistol right handed? I don't have much experience with pistols so it makes almost no different to me.
Also, it would be much easier for me as far as drop leg platforms and any gear if I did end up shooting right handed. It would also mean I don't have to worry about any nasty habits I have picked up plinking around in my yard and shooting skeet.
Any left handed Marines who have any experience or any Marines who have advise with this??
Thanks

btw I have a cousin who graduated not to long ago, qualified expert shooting cross eye dominant with his dominant hand.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 12:06 AM
Yes, you can shoot with either hand. I worked on the range and am also a qualified CMC (Combat Marksmanship Coach). I would suggest to you that you try shooting on the side of your dominant eye, simply because it's going to be more accurate. If you feel very uncomfortable shooting right handed, you can shoot left handed and try to use your right eye, though this will reduce your stockweld and probably be highly uncomfortable. The final thing that you can do is shoot with your left eye and just make sure that your right eye is closed. It's going to take more mental concentration because you're using your less dominant eye, but you can still hit black using either eye. Your PMI and CMC will work with you until you figure out the best way to shoot.

mcdowell9
06-25-09, 12:08 AM
Yes, you can shoot with either hand. I worked on the range and am also a qualified CMC (Combat Marksmanship Coach). I would suggest to you that you try shooting on the side of your dominant eye, simply because it's going to be more accurate. If you feel very uncomfortable shooting right handed, you can shoot left handed and try to use your right eye, though this will reduce your stockweld and probably be highly uncomfortable. The final thing that you can do is shoot with your left eye and just make sure that your right eye is closed. It's going to take more mental concentration because you're using your less dominant eye, but you can still hit black using either eye. Your PMI and CMC will work with you until you figure out the best way to shoot.
Oh really? I remember seeing somewhere that because of the fact you need to have situational awareness in a combat situation you are not allowed to close one of your eyes.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 12:21 AM
That's for table 2 (Basic Combat Markmanship), not for table 1 (known distance). Don't worry, table 2 moves fast, but you're only 25 yards away from the target.

Petz
06-25-09, 06:49 PM
let's not get the kid any more concerns... last I heard boot camp you only do the KD range.

they will teach you how to shoot, and your coach will help you master your technique as long as you leave everything you think you know at the door.

but since your question is already answered all I can add is, this is not what you should be worrying about as you will have two months of training to be prepared for before you shoot on the range.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 06:58 PM
I think that they do Table 2 in bootcamp now by what my new jacks are telling me. It's part of your qual score nowadays.

ameriken
06-25-09, 06:58 PM
Can you shoot pistol and rifle with different hands?

No, you have to use your own hands. :cool:

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 06:59 PM
That is true. It's considered cheating if you use someone else's hands or prosthetics. HAHA

Petz
06-25-09, 07:02 PM
... 'course they can only tell who you are by the name tape you sew on the back of your cover for the rifle range.... and if you happen to switch covers on accident.... well that's an integrity violation and you'll get recycled for that kind of stuff.

anyways, Cpl M... I'm noticing you are not checking posters profiles before answering them... you need to make sure they have theirs filled out...if it's not you don't answer their questions and you need to fix your avatar.

Sergeant M
06-25-09, 07:03 PM
I'll start checking profiles. What's an Avatar?

ameriken
06-25-09, 07:05 PM
The pic that goes below your username. On Leatherneck it's your rank.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 12:41 PM
I was just wondering whats the big deal with profiles for you guys?? What info do you want. I was surprised because when I first filled mine out I thought I was missing something because there isn't all that much to it. I know this also means there isn't really any reason to not have it but why is it so important?thanks

thewookie
06-26-09, 01:59 PM
I was just wondering whats the big deal with profiles for you guys?? What info do you want. I was surprised because when I first filled mine out I thought I was missing something because there isn't all that much to it. I know this also means there isn't really any reason to not have it but why is it so important?thanks

Don't ask why, just do it -- some advice for your time in the Corps, if you make it.

Your PMI or whatever they call them these days will lock you on, so there's no need to worry right now. I would have to agree that you should be shooting based on your dominant eye. Very few people can cross over like that. I know you have a cousin, I have a cousin too, that's great.

You don't shoot pistol for qual at bootcamp, so that's all moot now isn't it, right.

thewookie
06-26-09, 02:03 PM
I thought the reason most people closed their eyes while shooting was because of the conflicting image.

I almost missed this -- what are you talking about? Who closes their eyes and shoots?

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 02:38 PM
Don't ask why, just do it -- some advice for your time in the Corps, if you make it.

Your PMI or whatever they call them these days will lock you on, so there's no need to worry right now. I would have to agree that you should be shooting based on your dominant eye. Very few people can cross over like that. I know you have a cousin, I have a cousin too, that's great.

You don't shoot pistol for qual at bootcamp, so that's all moot now isn't it, right.

Lol, Like I said, if thats the way you guys want it, its not a problem and it shouldn't be a big deal for anyone because it is really easy. I was just asking because I was interested to know, not because I was questioning anyones reasoning.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 02:45 PM
I almost missed this -- what are you talking about? Who closes their eyes and shoots?
I used the plural form of Eye because I was talking about multiple people, not really technically correct I know but you know what I mean lol

ameriken
06-26-09, 02:47 PM
Lol, Like I said, if thats the way you guys want it, its not a problem and it shouldn't be a big deal for anyone because it is really easy. I was just asking because I was interested to know, not because I was questioning anyones reasoning.

Ha ha! When you get to Boot Camp, you'll understand.

In fact, when you get off the bus and the DI tells you to stand on the yellow footprints, just ask him "I'm curious, why?"

Then you'll know what thewookie is talking about when he says Don't ask why, just do it -- some advice for your time in the Corps, if you make it.

thewookie
06-26-09, 03:07 PM
I used the plural form of Eye because I was talking about multiple people, not really technically correct I know but you know what I mean lol

No, I don't, and I don't think you know what you mean.

Good luck, good Marines are paid big bucks to teach you how to shoot in the Corps. The more you know now the more likely you'll screw up. Listen to them, not your cousin, and not multiple people like your uncles brothers sisters aunts niece.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 03:08 PM
Ha ha! When you get to Boot Camp, you'll understand.

In fact, when you get off the bus and the DI tells you to stand on the yellow footprints, just ask him "I'm curious, why?"

Then you'll know what thewookie is talking about when he says Don't ask why, just do it -- some advice for your time in the Corps, if you make it.
Lol once again I have absolutely no problem, of course I wouldn't do something like that at boot camp, a lot of what they tell you to do is against logic simply to enforce that you have to listen to your superiors, right?
I was just wondering why it mattered so much since I don't see the information all that helpful, if you don't wanna actually answer just say so.;)

thewookie
06-26-09, 03:23 PM
a lot of what they tell you to do is against logic simply to enforce that you have to listen to your superiors, right?

The two biggest pieces of advice that I can give anyone going in is -- it's all metal, and it's all done for a reason. You might not figure it out at first. But there's a reason for everything, in boot camp in particular.

And the reason why Marines listen to their superiors is becuase we are disciplined. Discipline is the prompt obedience to orders and initiation of appropriate action in the absence of orders.

Petz
06-26-09, 03:55 PM
Lol once again I have absolutely no problem, of course I wouldn't do something like that at boot camp, a lot of what they tell you to do is against logic simply to enforce that you have to listen to your superiors, right?
I was just wondering why it mattered so much since I don't see the information all that helpful, if you don't wanna actually answer just say so.;)

now why would they tell you to do something that goes against logic? and who's logic are you using? yours? is your logic the kind they use to test circuitry or to do advanced math with? YOU are a kid, you don't have logic, you have book smarts (if that) and any knowledge that is up in your soft little dome of yours is from someone else.

so I'll ask again, why would what they teach you in boot camp be against logic? is it because someone like yourself can't justify their actions with reason?? are you that important that you need to? do you think their goal is to just mess with you?

kid, shut your mouth... open your ears and if you have the balls to join the Marine Corps then I suggest you just do... thinking seems to cloud your mind.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 04:35 PM
now why would they tell you to do something that goes against logic? and who's logic are you using? yours? is your logic the kind they use to test circuitry or to do advanced math with? YOU are a kid, you don't have logic, you have book smarts (if that) and any knowledge that is up in your soft little dome of yours is from someone else.

so I'll ask again, why would what they teach you in boot camp be against logic? is it because someone like yourself can't justify their actions with reason?? are you that important that you need to? do you think their goal is to just mess with you?

kid, shut your mouth... open your ears and if you have the balls to join the Marine Corps then I suggest you just do... thinking seems to cloud your mind.
Well like I said, in a sense it IS logical because it serves the purpose of enforcing the idea of doing what you are told but from what I have heard/seen/read many of the "games" that DIs play with recruits is to teach them a lesson or just to exercise doing something while under stress and doesn't necessarily serve a purpose other than that or have what would seem like logical reasoning.I am just saying that everything done in bootcamp should be done without question, as was said.
But I was also saying that this isn't boot camp and I don't think its really necessary to not answer my question "just because".
I am not trying to sound like a smartass, just asking a question. When my question wasn't answered and then an analogy was made, I said that the two don't really compare and I don't see how that fits into the situation.
I already stated multiple times I fully understand that you don't question DIs or anything you are told to do at boot camp. So why do we have to act like because I am asking a question now I will ask then?? I understand that you shouldn't question a DIs authority, but this isn't the same thing.
Like I said, if you really just don't want to answer me, tell me that please. I don't understand why I am being jerked around over a simple question. And after fully explaining that it by no means is disrepectful or that I am questioning your reasoning but I am just curious. Instead of saying you don't want to answer, or you have no answer, or it doesnt matter you act like I have done something wrong and that I am trying to be disrespectful and rude by asking a question and that it reflects that I question everyone no matter the circumstances or situation. I aplogize for it seeming that way.

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 04:49 PM

Listen up.....when you are talking to MARINES, you will refer to them as such.....MARINES......or by their user name.........not you guys.
They've EARNED it!!!

Rule One you are not a Marine and this is a Marine site therefore you have no rights and are merely a guest that we wish to help achieve your goal!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Young man, now I think you need to read the rest of rules.
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 04:53 PM
Also....when referring to Drill Instructors, you will call them as such...........Drill Instructors.......not DI's.
They've also EARNED it! :evilgrin:

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 04:54 PM
Listen up.....when you are talking to MARINES, you will refer to them as such.....MARINES......or by their user name.........not you guys.
They've EARNED it!!!

Rule One you are not a Marine and this is a Marine site therefore you have no rights and are merely a guest that we wish to help achieve your goal!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Young man, now I think you need to read the rest of rules.
[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048&page=15
Lol, Like I said, if thats the way you guys want it, its not a problem
Lol, Like I said, if thats the way Marines want it, its not a problem

it just sounded weird to me. I do refer to Marines as Marines, but sometimes it doesn't read as if its the appropriate usage. If its really that big of a deal to Marines though then thats perfectly fine and I will try to keep that in mind whenever I post.I apologize

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 04:56 PM
Also....when refering to Drill Instructors, you will call them as such.....Drill Instructors.......not DI's.
They've also EARNED it! :evilgrin:
The abbreviation DI is not meant to be disrespectful to Drill Instructors. I think its simply an abbreviation, I see it used alot..I didn't know it was a big deal either, but okay, will keep that in mind too.I apologize for this also.

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 04:58 PM
The abbreviation DI is not meant to be disrespectful to Drill Instructors. I think its simply an abbreviation, I see it used alot..I didn't know it was a big deal either, but okay, will keep that in mind too.I apologize for this also.

It is a big deal!!!

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 05:08 PM
I see..well anyways. Is it really true you don't have to qualify with a pistol at recruit training?? I didn't know that, I thought it was both rifle and pistol.
Do you qualify with pistol at MOS school then?

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 05:14 PM
Recruit Training Schedule

The Recruit Training Schedule

Processing:
Recruits arrive on Parris Island , get the Welcome Aboard speech, clothing and gear issue, medical screening, perform the Initial Strength Test, and are introduced to their drill instructors.

Weeks 1-3:
Recruits receive instruction on military history, customs and courtesies, basic first aid, uniforms, and leadership and core values.
Recruits learn hand-to-hand combat skills through the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP), which is made up of various martial arts styles.

Week 4:
Swim qualification

There are four levels of swim/water survival qualification in recruit training. The Marines are an amphibious service, and water survival training is designed to increase our competence and survivability in an amphibious environment.

Week 5:
Initial Written Testing and Initial Drill

Repal Tower/Gas Chamber

Week 6:
Grass week (rifle range)

The recruits learn the fundamentals of
Marine Corps marksmanship, sight in on
the targets and learn how to make adjustments to the M16 A2 service rifle.

Week 7:
Firing week (rifle range)
The recruits have three days to practice the KD course of fire, a pre-qualification day and a qualification day, firing the M16 A2 service rifle.

Week 8:
Team week
The recruits will spend the week working in various areas of Parris Island , maintaining the appearance of the Depot, and practicing for Final Drill.

Week 9:
A-Line/Basic Warrior Training
The recruits will conduct various exercises to begin developing basic field and combat skills. Some of the events they will execute are:
Day Movement Course

Firing at multiple targets

Firing at targets from unknown distances
Combat Shooting (Table 2)

Combat Endurance Course

Week 10:
Practical Application Evaluation

Week 11:
Final drill:
Recruits and Drill Instructors are evaluated on their knowledge and application of Marine Corps drill and rifle manual.
Written testing: Recruits are evaluated on their knowledge of basic military education.

Week 12:
Ceremony practices
Liberty Brief
Graduation

If at any point in time your recruit is dropped from training he/she will go to Support Battalion.

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/schedule.asp

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 05:20 PM
I don't know how I didn't see anything about this before. How is the written testing setup? Is it like a traditional school tests with multiple choice answers and grading system?
If you fail one test do you get dropped back just from that?
Also what does practical application evaluation entail? thx

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 05:25 PM
You will find out all of that at Boot Camp. Written tests can change from class to class.

Fievel
06-26-09, 05:50 PM
I am left handed and right Eye dominant.
Are recruits REQUIRED to shoot with both eyes open for rifle qual?
I just recently checked this and found out I am right Eye dominant. I thought the reason most people closed their eyes while shooting was because of the conflicting image. But I noticed if I aim with my right hand there is no conflicting image. With my left I usually just naturally close my eye but I can very very slight squint and its fine.
How does this work for pistols??
since many recruits are trained with no prior experience I am sure I could be trained to shoot right handed, it just feels really odd to me. shooting left handed feels very comfortable. Maybe I would feel fine after getting used to it (after all guitar felt REALLY weird at first, just like holding a gun right handed does.)
Are you allowed to shoot a rifle left handed and shoot a pistol right handed? I don't have much experience with pistols so it makes almost no different to me.
Also, it would be much easier for me as far as drop leg platforms and any gear if I did end up shooting right handed. It would also mean I don't have to worry about any nasty habits I have picked up plinking around in my yard and shooting skeet.
Any left handed Marines who have any experience or any Marines who have advise with this??
Thanks

btw I have a cousin who graduated not to long ago, qualified expert shooting cross eye dominant with his dominant hand.

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I always shot right handed and just closed my left eye. I've also never missed expert on the rifle range, so you should be good. It can be annoying, but you'll manage. You can shoot offhand, too, if you want. Whichever feels better.

Fievel
06-26-09, 05:59 PM
I don't know how I didn't see anything about this before. How is the written testing setup? Is it like a traditional school tests with multiple choice answers and grading system?
If you fail one test do you get dropped back just from that?
Also what does practical application evaluation entail? thx

I don't remember multiple choice in my boot camp experience. Either you knew the answers or you didn't. If you fail, your screwed. I highly advise you not to fail. The prac recruits will help you remember, so if you don't get it right when the test comes, and granted there is a lot of knowledge you will learn, you're a f*cking rock! Don't mess it up. That's all I'm going to say.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 06:00 PM
I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I always shot right handed and just closed my left eye. I've also never missed expert on the rifle range, so you should be good. It can be annoying, but you'll manage. You can shoot offhand, too, if you want. Whichever feels better.
What hand do you shoot a pistol with?

Everyone seems to be VERY confident in PMIs so I am too.I think I should be fine

Fievel
06-26-09, 06:05 PM
What hand do you shoot a pistol with?

Everyone seems to be VERY confident in PMIs so I am too.I think I should be fine

I kept the M-16 throughout my career, so I never had to qual with pistol. In the civilian sector now I shoot pistol right handed, closing the left eye.

The Marines will teach you everything you need to know. Dump anything you think you might know right now, and pretend like you haven't fired a weapon before. The recruits who have experience in firing a weapon are usually the ones who shoot UNQ because they do not follow what they are taught. They pick up bad habits and try to apply them in boot camp. It usually doesn't work out to their advantage.

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 06:09 PM
mcdowell9....if your question is still about boot camp, recruits don't qualify with a pistol in boot camp.
I believe Officers and those who's MOS's require them to have a pistol, have to qualify.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 06:12 PM
I kept the M-16 throughout my career, so I never had to qual with pistol. In the civilian sector now I shoot pistol right handed, closing the left eye.

The Marines will teach you everything you need to know. Dump anything you think you might know right now, and pretend like you haven't fired a weapon before. The recruits who have experience in firing a weapon are usually the ones who shoot UNQ because they do not follow what they are taught. They pick up bad habits and try to apply them in boot camp. It usually doesn't work out to their advantage.
pretty much everything I know is self taught and I just do whatever feels right. I don't practice any rules or things if I shoot (I shoot iguanas in my yard, the equivalent to Squirrels for normal people) so I don't think it will be a problem, I don't have any conflicting information that would cause problems or go against what I have "been thinking" so I shouldn't have a problem doing exactly as I am told.
I can see someone who hunts alot or something may be hurt or helped from it but they would have strictly enforced habits and practices.
You don't have to qual with a pistol?? So if you are deployed somewhere do you just get a pistol and don't have to qual with it? That doesn't make any sense..

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 06:13 PM
mcdowell9....if your question is still about boot camp, recruits don't qualify with a pistol in boot camp.
I believe Officers and those who's MOS's require them to have a pistol, have to qualify.
Ahh I see.

Fievel
06-26-09, 06:18 PM
pretty much everything I know is self taught and I just do whatever feels right. I don't practice any rules or things if I shoot (I shoot iguanas in my yard, the equivalent to Squirrels for normal people) so I don't think it will be a problem, I don't have any conflicting information that would cause problems or go against what I have "been thinking" so I shouldn't have a problem doing exactly as I am told.
I can see someone who hunts alot or something may be hurt or helped from it but they would have strictly enforced habits and practices.
You don't have to qual with a pistol?? So if you are deployed somewhere do you just get a pistol and don't have to qual with it? That doesn't make any sense..

I didn't catch that part of the question, no you don't qual with pistol in boot camp.

The issuance of a pistol depends on your MOS. In my MOS, the only ones who rated pistols were Sergeants and above. Corporals and below rated M-16s. Unless you were a part of the Mobility/Counter Mobility platoon, then Corporals and above rated 9 mils.

Personally, I'll take the rifle over the pistol in combat anyday, though it is harder to clear a building with a rifle.

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 06:25 PM
Marine Corps Marksmanship / Grass Week

Marine Corps Marksmanship – “Every Marine a rifleman,” no matter what their Military Occupational Specialty has been one of the hallmarks of the Marine Corps throughout our history. From the Marine marksmen shooting from the high rigging on ships during the sea battles of the American Revolution, to the battle of Belleau Wood, France in June of 1918 during World War I where Marines hit German targets from more than 500 yards away, to Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, a Marine sniper in Viet Nam with a service record of 93 confirmed kills, we have set ourselves apart by our shooting prowess.
To develop those skills recruits will spend two weeks learning how to shoot the Marine Corps way. The first week is called Grass Week where recruits learn the fundamentals and positions they will use. The second week is Firing Week where recruits will practice, and then qualify on the Table 1 course of fire, or the Known Distance (KD) course with the M16A2 service rifle.
Recruits fire the same M16A2 service rifle that they were issued at the beginning of training and have been carrying every day for the last five weeks. The M16A2 is a 5.56 mm, Lightweight, Magazine fed, Gas operated, Air cooled, Shoulder fired weapon. Recruits learn to remember these characteristics of the by the acronym LM-GAS. The M16A2 is constructed of steel, aluminum and composite plastics.
Grass Week – During Grass Week, recruits are taught the fundamentals of weapons safety and marksmanship with their M-16A2 service rifle. During this week, recruits are introduced to the four shooting positions:

Sitting
Prone
Kneeling
Standing
A Combat Marksmanship Instructor, or CMI, teaches recruits how to fire, how to adjust their sights and how to take into account the effects of wind and weather. They spend hours “Snapping in,” or dry firing while in the four positions, preparing their bodies to remain steady while they shoot. They also train in the Indoor Simulation Marksmanship Training (ISMT) facility, which is similar to a video game, but provides the CMI and the recruit with instant feedback on their technique.
Recruits will also “zero” their service rifle and fire a grouping exercise to verify how their individual rifle shoots. This is the ability to group all shots within a 9 minute angle. The results will tell the recruit the initial sight settings, or “dope” to set on his or her rifle. http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/images/matrix/9minute.gif

By the time a recruit fires that first actual shot during Firing Week, he or she will have dry-fired his or her rifle from each of the four positions thousands of times.

Firing Week – During the second week of marksmanship training, recruits start before sunrise preparing their rifle, the range and themselves to shoot the Table 1 known-distance course of fire. Recruits prepare for rifle qualification on Friday by firing 50 rounds of slow fire (One shot at a time) and rapid fire (10 shots in a row) from the four shooting positions at ranges of 200, 300 and 500 yards. The positions are:

Sitting
Prone
Kneeling
Standing
As recruits practice shooting on their advance towards Qualification Day, they are assisted and evaluated by their Combat Marksmanship Instructor, their Coach, and their drill instructors. All are working to assist the recruit to ensure that the fundamentals have been learned, and that each recruit shoots the best that he or she can.
The recruits also learn the four rifle range safety rules that they will hear several times each day, and for the rest of their time in the Marine Corps:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot.
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
On Qualification (Qual) Day all recruits are trying to shoot their best and are striving for the coveted “Crossed Rifles” of the Rife Expert badge. Recruits can also earn the Rifle Sharpshooter and Rifle Marksman badges, and in order to qualify with the M-16A2 service rifle a recruit must shoot a score of a minimum 190 points out of the possible 250 points.

If you click on the link that I provided in a previous post below, you can find out all of this info just by going to the Training Matrix.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 06:35 PM
Marine Corps Marksmanship / Grass Week

Marine Corps Marksmanship – “Every Marine a rifleman,” no matter what their Military Occupational Specialty has been one of the hallmarks of the Marine Corps throughout our history. From the Marine marksmen shooting from the high rigging on ships during the sea battles of the American Revolution, to the battle of Belleau Wood, France in June of 1918 during World War I where Marines hit German targets from more than 500 yards away, to Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock, a Marine sniper in Viet Nam with a service record of 93 confirmed kills, we have set ourselves apart by our shooting prowess.
To develop those skills recruits will spend two weeks learning how to shoot the Marine Corps way. The first week is called Grass Week where recruits learn the fundamentals and positions they will use. The second week is Firing Week where recruits will practice, and then qualify on the Table 1 course of fire, or the Known Distance (KD) course with the M16A2 service rifle.
Recruits fire the same M16A2 service rifle that they were issued at the beginning of training and have been carrying every day for the last five weeks. The M16A2 is a 5.56 mm, Lightweight, Magazine fed, Gas operated, Air cooled, Shoulder fired weapon. Recruits learn to remember these characteristics of the by the acronym LM-GAS. The M16A2 is constructed of steel, aluminum and composite plastics.
Grass Week – During Grass Week, recruits are taught the fundamentals of weapons safety and marksmanship with their M-16A2 service rifle. During this week, recruits are introduced to the four shooting positions:

Sitting
Prone
Kneeling
Standing

A Combat Marksmanship Instructor, or CMI, teaches recruits how to fire, how to adjust their sights and how to take into account the effects of wind and weather. They spend hours “Snapping in,” or dry firing while in the four positions, preparing their bodies to remain steady while they shoot. They also train in the Indoor Simulation Marksmanship Training (ISMT) facility, which is similar to a video game, but provides the CMI and the recruit with instant feedback on their technique.
Recruits will also “zero” their service rifle and fire a grouping exercise to verify how their individual rifle shoots. This is the ability to group all shots within a 9 minute angle. The results will tell the recruit the initial sight settings, or “dope” to set on his or her rifle. http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/images/matrix/9minute.gif

By the time a recruit fires that first actual shot during Firing Week, he or she will have dry-fired his or her rifle from each of the four positions thousands of times.

Firing Week – During the second week of marksmanship training, recruits start before sunrise preparing their rifle, the range and themselves to shoot the Table 1 known-distance course of fire. Recruits prepare for rifle qualification on Friday by firing 50 rounds of slow fire (One shot at a time) and rapid fire (10 shots in a row) from the four shooting positions at ranges of 200, 300 and 500 yards. The positions are:

Sitting
Prone
Kneeling
Standing

As recruits practice shooting on their advance towards Qualification Day, they are assisted and evaluated by their Combat Marksmanship Instructor, their Coach, and their drill instructors. All are working to assist the recruit to ensure that the fundamentals have been learned, and that each recruit shoots the best that he or she can.
The recruits also learn the four rifle range safety rules that they will hear several times each day, and for the rest of their time in the Marine Corps:

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot.
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

On Qualification (Qual) Day all recruits are trying to shoot their best and are striving for the coveted “Crossed Rifles” of the Rife Expert badge. Recruits can also earn the Rifle Sharpshooter and Rifle Marksman badges, and in order to qualify with the M-16A2 service rifle a recruit must shoot a score of a minimum 190 points out of the possible 250 points.

If you click on the link that I provided in a previous post below, you can find out all of this info just by going to the Training Matrix.
Thanks alot for the info LAWSMarine. How much time a day during that week would you say you were actually shooting? Thanks again

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 06:44 PM
mcdowell9.....Don't worry about how much time of the day you'll be shooting. It's not like when you get done for the day that you can go out on a date or whatever........
Look, IMO, your questions are starting to get to be a bit too much already.
If you really want answers to your questions, then you need to go to boot camp and to experience it for yourself.
I know this is the Ask A Marine forum, but this is ridiculous already.......

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 06:47 PM
mcdowell9.....Don't worry about how much time of the day you'll be shooting. It's not like when you get done for the day that you can go out on a date or whatever........
Look, IMO, your questions are starting to get to be a bit too much already.
If you really want answers to your questions, then you need to go to boot camp and to experience it for yourself.
I know this is the Ask A Marine forum, but this is ridiculous already.......

I was just wondering. Its no problem, I know I have gone from topic to topic and its just lead on. I'm grateful for the amount of info I have already received, I'll stop asking questions or you can close the thread or whatever needs to be done. I wish I could go to boot camp, thats a ways off still though.

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 06:50 PM
It's fine to ask questions and I'm not saying for you to stop, but when it comes down to wanting to know about every minute of the day and how it's spent, then it starts to become agrivating.

mcdowell9
06-26-09, 07:03 PM
It's fine to ask questions and I'm not saying for you to stop, but when it comes down to wanting to know about every minute of the day and how it's spent, then it starts to become agrivating.
I know thats a lot of detail to be asking, I just asked because going from never firing a weapon to qualifying in a week or Two is alot. I know that there are certain new things introduced in all the weeks of Boot and I didn't know if everything was leveled out or when something new was introduced the entire day was spent on it. But I understand what you mean about it being an agrivating question. Anyways it seems thats not something I can really practice for like physical training or something else is. But after you mentioning the testing about history and military behaviour I might try and study some of that. Thanks again for answering so many questions:D

Lisa 23
06-26-09, 07:17 PM
I never in my life fired any type of weapon until I got to boot camp.
Firing the M16 wasn't all that bad. I believe I shot a 209, Marksman....1 point shy of Sharpshooter. But the main thing was that I qualified the first time around. For those that didn't qualify, had to go back a second time during what we had at the time...Mess & Maintenance week, which is now Team Week, and it was a few weeks later than what it is now. They have since changed the training schedule up a bit towards the end to put the Crucible at the very end of boot camp training.

Phantom Blooper
06-26-09, 07:44 PM
When you become a Marine....you can shoot ambidextrous if you want...although it would be wise to shoot with the dominant hand.

As stated don't worry about firing a weapon or any weapon in the Marine Corps...the Marines will teach you everything you need to know...pay attention and you will qualify....

When you become of age you can also join the Marine Corps Rod and Gun Club......You drink til' one....and pizz til' two.....

But don't worry about that either....you will be shown every way to shoot a rifle to get you to qualify....

BRASS

:evilgrin:

ameriken
06-26-09, 07:45 PM

Excellent points. There is only so much you can do to prepare for Boot Camp. As LASW said, she never fired a weapon before Boot Camp and qualified. I too never fired a weapon, and I qualified. Before Boot Camp, the furthest I ever ran was 1 mile...and that was one time. Yet I finished 20:30 on the 3 mile, which I never thought possible.

There are only so many answers that can be given. No matter how much you prepare, no matter how much you exercise, study, and ask, Boot Camp will find muscles you never knew you had, it will test parts of your personality that were never tested, and you will learn things that you never thought to ask.

Most importantly, it will help you discover who you really are and what you are made of, and if you have the character needed to be a Marine.

When many of us joined, we didn't have the advantage of the internet to provide so much information. We went to Boot Camp somewhat blind. In fact you probably already know more about Boot Camp than many of us ever knew, yet we made it without all that information.

Don't worry about what will happen in Boot Camp. The Marines have been training people worse than you or I for a long long time, and they know how to convert the lowliest maggots into fierce and proud Marines.

Leave some room for discovery and the unknown. If anything, be sure you have the character, emotional strength, and fortitude to endure what will be thrown your way.

Character will perhaps be your greatest challenge and test and there's no way to know how you'll do until you're there.